PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Importing JPEG? How?

sanman
09-23-2000, 02:24 PM
sorry to be a bother once again, but the more I use this program, the more I really like it.

How do I import a JPEG? It seems that I'm allowed to import BMP files, but not any other format. Flash editor itself even lets you import JPEGs, and not just BMPs.

Is this because I'm using the disabled trial version?

CoolMoves
09-23-2000, 03:17 PM
What I did was convert my pic into a bitmap. It didn't seem to distort the picture so I didn't mind the extra step. Would be nice to directly import .jpg though, or even better yet, .png.

johnie
09-23-2000, 03:33 PM
You can convert any image to BMP see this thread:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=25116

What Windows is really doing when you do this is converting the screen into a clipboard metafile and then converting it for you into a BMP when you paste int Paint or any other app that supports this action (Word, Word-Pad, Excel, ETC).

I suggest using MS Paint becuase it is such a simple tool that cleaning the Image is a breeze. All you have to do is select the rectangle selection tool and then copy and paste the selection into a drawing. Takes less than 1 min.

sanman
09-24-2000, 12:32 AM
I wish to point out that a JPEG is way more compact than a bitmap, in terms of filesize.

Therefore, I don't understand why you'd want to restrict yourself to only be importing fat BMP files, which will only fatten your SWF file more than necessary.

You should be able to import JPEGs, to keep the filesize down. Or does it do some kind of JPEG compression during the import? In which case, why not allow the import of JPEGs in the first place? There is a lot of art you can get on the net, that is only available as JPEG.

It would just be another helpful feature, that would reduce that added work of having to convert thru MS Paint, etc.

johnie
09-24-2000, 12:35 AM
It exports as a JPEG so the file size is uneffected.

And I know MS PAint is not a great program but it is installed on every window machine made.