PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : "Unspecified Feature"

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 04:40 PM
I don't see any useful reason for this so i'm guessing it's a (bug).

If you resize the movie to say 900x500 and add a smaller bitmap, it will tile it. Now go back in and resize the movie to something smaller like 900x400. The movie will resize but the bitmap will still show through. Is it supposed to do this?

johnie
09-24-2000, 04:46 PM
Think of the movie size function as the size of the canvas or stage instead of a scaling feature.

Changing the size of the movie does not change the size of the images just as changing the size of a stage would not effect the size of the actors. In other words it does not scale the shapes or BMPS.

I'll look into that tile when it shouldn't thing though.

johnie
09-24-2000, 04:49 PM
Did you change the size of the bitmap's source file? -The BMP file. You have to scale it in your raster graphic editor (MS Paint, Photo Shop, Paint Shop, ETC) before re-importing it into Kool Moves or it will tile when you scale its frame.

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 04:54 PM
Well first I set my movie size. Then I added the bitmap and noticed how much bigger the movie size was so I thought i'd just make it smaller to fit the bitmap (I wanted the bitmap to fill the movie size). When I went and made the movie size smaller it made the movie size smaller but left the rest of the bitmap there (grayed out). I would have thought that the movie size would over rule anything else within it's environment, but I guess not.

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 05:08 PM
Well I definitely know it's not supposed to do this. Go in and resize your movie screen a third time. It does nothing and freezes up.

johnie
09-24-2000, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by CoolMoves
Well first I set my movie size. Then I added the bitmap and noticed how much bigger the movie size was so I thought i'd just make it smaller to fit the bitmap (I wanted the bitmap to fill the movie size). When I went and made the movie size smaller it made the movie size smaller but left the rest of the bitmap there (grayed out). I would have thought that the movie size would over rule anything else within it's environment, but I guess not.

No, The movie size does not scale the movie. It only changes the size that will appear in a web browser when loaded. You can hide shapes off on the sides of the rectangle if you want- I do.

johnie
09-24-2000, 05:17 PM
Crashing-

Now that could be a bug.

Remember this;
1. No program is 100% crash Proof.

2. Jesus and the Devil were trying to create a Power Point Presentation for God. A couple of hours latter God said Okay-I want them now. Jesus smiled and promptly turned his over to God. The devil looks at him and says, " How the Hell did you finish so quick. That damn program kept shuting down on me" to which Jesus smiled and said, " Jesus Saves!". I know its a bad joke but remember to save your work not only becuase of Point 1 but also becuase of power failures and other unforseen happenings.

johnie
09-24-2000, 05:38 PM
Not that is a bug. I wrote about it before. I'll Find it and post the thread.

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 05:39 PM
*LOL* Good joke !

Well i'm not concerned with power outages because I use a UPS but you're right about saving, and as a habit I usually do. And yes I am aware that no program is perfect, but Bob needs to know these things so he can have some fun on monday morning :D

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 05:41 PM
I think it might have to do with where you place the bitmap, in my case the whole movie size, but I might be going outside of the 'gold' outline or something.

johnie
09-24-2000, 05:46 PM
A note: Use the clear image button and select a color fill when you are changing bitmap fills that you have updated or delete the shape alltogether. A quirk in the program is that it will not update the image fill with the new image if it is named the same by just hitting the button. It sound like that is what happened to you.

This is a bug.

I think it might have to do with where you place the bitmap, in my case the whole movie size, but I might be going outside of the 'gold' outline or something.

could be it also. Everthing outside of the yellow box won't show in the web page unless you export only the swf- then the whole thing shows.

The idea is that you have shapes offstage and then slide them onto it.

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 06:10 PM
johnie what do you think about the program called Irfanview ? I'm downloading star office now but was wondering if I should keep Irfan or not.

BradBradleySL
09-24-2000, 06:15 PM
Have either one of you had problems with editing the points of the bitmaps? Everytime I move a point a great distance and distort the shape of the square, the program say illegal.....etc etc.

Brad

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 06:29 PM
Either i'm doing this wrong or it's not woking right. Instead of making an transparent copy, shouldn't I be making a copy the color of the background? When I use the transparent copy the original bitmap naturally shows through.

Also will I be layering all of my bitmaps on top of each other, or do I somehow delete them as the movie palys? In other words, if I have 5 pictures fading in and out then would I have 10 total (5 pictures and 5 transparancies or the color of the background) showing by the time it's over.

Do you know of a place where there is a tutorial on tweening (how to do it)? Thanks

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 06:31 PM
he he he , I don't use points, heck, I don't even know what they are :D But I'm sure johnie or Bob can help you.

BradBradleySL
09-24-2000, 06:37 PM
I think you would delete the bitmaps as you go along.
And check out here for some tweening info for flash may help you-

http://www.peachpit.com/features/1099flash4/fl.intro01.html

Brad

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 06:39 PM
Thanks Brad :)

johnie
09-24-2000, 06:49 PM
Either i'm doing this wrong or it's not woking right. Instead of making an transparent copy, shouldn't I be making a copy the color of the background? When I use the transparent copy the original bitmap naturally shows through.

Also will I be layering all of my bitmaps on top of each other, or do I somehow delete them as the movie palys? In other words, if I have 5 pictures fading in and out then would I have 10 total (5 pictures and 5 transparancies or the color of the background) showing by the time it's over.

Do you know of a place where there is a tutorial on tweening (how to do it)? Thanks

you will need to use both. The transparent one to show it and the no transparancy to hide it. Just make sure its the same shape between the frames.

johnie
09-24-2000, 06:53 PM
johnie what do you think about the program called Irfanview ? I'm downloading star office now but was wondering if I should keep Irfan or not.

Ifranview with the SWF plugin is a good external player. When IE 5 locks up it crashes the whole computer and I get the blue screen of death.

Ifranview isn't as big of a resource hog as IE is.

With Star Office make sure you choose intergrated view or it may confuse you.

johnie
09-24-2000, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by BradBradleySL
Have either one of you had problems with editing the points of the bitmaps? Everytime I move a point a great distance and distort the shape of the square, the program say illegal.....etc etc.

Brad

When I first started using the program, yes but that was back in version 1.2x.

I haven't noticed it in the new versions.
[Edited by johnie on 09-24-2000 at 07:07 PM]

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 07:12 PM
johnie I just downloaded Star Office and chose custom set up. What should I install, and how do I chose more than one thing to install, when I use the shift key it does nothing, and there are no boxes to check off on what I want to install.

Bob Hartzell
09-24-2000, 07:18 PM
If you resize the movie to say 900x500 and add a smaller bitmap, it will tile it. Now go back in and resize the movie to something smaller like 900x400. The movie will resize but the bitmap will still show through. Is it supposed to do this?
-> The movie frame clips the movie in the internal player and in the swf. That is all it does. You can see what is offstage in editing mode because that is useful.

BradBradleySL
09-24-2000, 07:45 PM
How can you be refering back to ver 1.2x, we just got the ability to import bitmaps, thats what I am refering to, also I KoolMoves keeps freezing on me, when I try playing it in IE:( can't test my site.

Brad

johnie
09-24-2000, 07:45 PM
Two ways:

1. What I would recommend. Install the whole thing. Try it out and then go to the setup to modify the install. You can uninstall the portions you don't want. Sun has a unique set up method.

The colored blocks are installed while the B&W ones are not.

2. The other way is to Custom install just Star Draw.

johnie
09-24-2000, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by BradBradleySL
How can you be refering back to ver 1.2x, we just got the ability to import bitmaps, thats what I am refering to, also I KoolMoves keeps freezing on me, when I try playing it in IE:( can't test my site.

Brad

1. It's not a new feature. All the new feature does is draws the rectangle for you.

2. If IE frezes I have noticed it shutting down both programs. Save often- and when IE crashes shutdown and restart and the try again. This is why I'm testing it in WINE so that I can see if Linux and Netscape is any better. The downloads for this is time consuming though.

johnie
09-24-2000, 08:04 PM
It may have to wait untill next weekend.

If it works under Wine then Kool Moves is one of the few programs that will create SWF in Linux.

BradBradleySL
09-24-2000, 08:13 PM
Ok your right it really isn't a new feature, but it is different, since 1.2x it was simply a bitmap fill, now it is a shape kinda, yeah with IE I don't like it, I had to restart my computer and then it worked fine. Sigh

Brad

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 08:18 PM
Brad what version of IE are you running (I hope it's not 5.5).

CoolMoves
09-24-2000, 08:41 PM
johnie, when I choose 'copy' and then paste for some reason the copy is coming out a few pixels smaller than the original. Is there an easy way to click and drag the copy to resize it and make it a little bit bigger. The edges are showing through.

johnie
09-24-2000, 09:40 PM
select the shape and either hit the scale button or right click and under transform hit scale.

turn the grid on it tends to help.

the other way is to select the object and then hit select points. Select the points on the side you need bigger and then drag the points out. This works great for moving Limb shapes and stretching things out.

Bob Hartzell
09-25-2000, 08:19 AM
When you copy and paste within the same frame, the copied shape is offset down and right 2 pixels so you can see you did something. It is not resized.