PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : wishes2

BradBradleySL
10-01-2000, 07:23 PM
Some more wishes......
1.adjustable line strokes of some sort, like variable thickness, thinness, etc, I believe someone else mentioned it, but I don't know if there was a response.

2.bones(still want them) and the more I think about it, the more I would like them to have some 3d ability to them, like incorporate the perspective ability into them, like the perspective control we have now, you know what I mean

3.Different line types, like the ability to customize your lines, could sort of be like adjustable line strokes, little different though, like allow the lines to be dashed, or sketchy quality, etc. etc. maybe you could have a simple menu where you could adjust the line thickness, and what type of line, etc. etc.

Brad

Bob Hartzell
10-02-2000, 09:12 AM
Some more wishes......
1.adjustable line strokes of some sort, like variable thickness, thinness, etc, I believe someone else mentioned it, but I don't know if there was a response.
-> I don't know to what extent flash supports variable line thickness. Maybe someone can comment on this.

2.bones(still want them) and the more I think about it, the more I would like them to have some 3d ability to them, like incorporate the perspective ability into them, like the perspective control we have now, you know what I mean
-> We intend to do bones but not for a while. There are more fundamental issues we need to address first. We have a lot shape and point functionality but are lacking in time functionality.

3.Different line types, like the ability to customize your lines, could sort of be like adjustable line strokes, little different though, like allow the lines to be dashed, or sketchy quality, etc. etc. maybe you could have a simple menu where you could adjust the line thickness, and what type of line, etc. etc.
-> Does Moho or LiveMotion provide this capability?

Brad
[/B][/QUOTE]

sanman
10-02-2000, 11:33 AM
>1.adjustable line strokes of some sort, like variable
>thickness, thinness, etc, I believe someone else mentioned
>it, but I don't know if there was a response.
>-> I don't know to what extent flash supports variable
>line thickness. Maybe someone can comment on this.

Flash5 seems to permit a limited variation in choice of line styles.
On the Stroke panel, click on the sideways arrow icon, and you'll see the customization panel. However, this to me is not the same as being able to vary the thickness or brush angle of a stroke within a given line.
I suppose you can convert-lines-to-fills, and accomplish it that way, but it might be laborious, and I don't know how badly this will fatten the filesize.
It would be nice if there was a Wacom-style means of pressure sensitivity.

>2.bones(still want them) and the more I think about it,
>the more I would like them to have some 3d ability to
>them, like incorporate the perspective ability into them, like the perspective control we have now, you know what I
>mean
>-> We intend to do bones but not for a while. There are
>more fundamental issues we need to address first. We have
>a lot shape and point functionality but are lacking in
>time functionality.

Yes, I can see that IK and FK are where you might like to have control over motion timing a bit more. Including easing, etc.
But really, the idea of allowing bones to work in 3D -- even if just as an additional option beyond the conventional 2D motion range -- would be very appealing.
Web animations continue to become more sophisticated with each passing month, and so it might be nice to go for this functionality, since that's where things seem to logically be headed.

>3.Different line types, like the ability to customize your
>lines, could sort of be like adjustable line strokes,
>little different though, like allow the lines to be
>dashed, or sketchy quality, etc. etc. maybe you could have
>a simple menu where you could adjust the line thickness,
>and what type of line, etc. etc.
>-> Does Moho or LiveMotion provide this capability?

Well, Flash5 does seem to offer a small choice of linestyle customizations, accessible in the way I described above.
I dunno about LiveMotion, but I find the stroke style choices in Adobe Illustrator to be far greater than what's supported in Flash.

Poser4 is an expensive program, but it seems to have some kind of Sketch output for its character animation. Furthermore, Poser ProPack, to be released this Fall, is apparently promising Flash output, although we'll have to wait and see how good the results are.

We had a discussion thread going on in the Art & Anime forum

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=26424

where we were discussing the idea of a hypothetical boosted vector format, that might be able to achieve higher quality animation than is currently possible under the limitations of Flash SWF. Maybe it's beyond the scope of this discussion, but it was interesting nonetheless. :)

sanman
10-02-2000, 11:40 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention -- Moho is planning to permit the future possibility of incorporation of 3D elements, including maybe even 3D bones.
They told me that some of the changes that they made from v1 to v2 will help position them for that.
They weren't committing to anything, mind you, just saying that it is something they have been thinking about.

sanman
10-02-2000, 01:15 PM
I have another feature request.

I really like the new drawing tools in Flash 5, although I feel that even they could use improvement.

I like the realtime anti-aliasing that's available with the pencil tool. You can draw any kind of line-curve, and it will anti-alias it, as it lays it down. This way, the curve looks smoother, instead of jagged. I siwh KoolMoves had this.

BradBradleySL
10-02-2000, 01:15 PM
Yeah I read that thread, most of the way through, some interesting ideas, I have poser 3, it has the sketch tool(sort of, more like a sketch view)somewhat in it, though it looks like that its improved in version 4. Might upgrade, especially with flash format becoming available. I don't know about a boosted vector format, the format now is pretty fast now, but for 3d abilities to be achieved with the vector format shouldn't be that hard, I think the Swift 3d program is coming close if they could incorporate more modeling capablilities, so figures could be modeled within the program, plus some more detailed animation, like IK bones, etc. a good thing is that you can import models but....more money for additional program, plus it still isn't that streaming, and the models are pretty much static. Sanman, do you know if the SVG format is any better file size wise and speed wise, I haven't really checked it out, Well in closing:) I hope KoolMoves keeps up with the competition as of now I love it:)

Brad

sanman
10-02-2000, 03:55 PM
Hi Brad,

When I say "boosted vector format" -- I'm not so much focusing on improvements in the compactness/speed of the movie file.

I'm talking about improvements to vector capabilities, so that they could define stuff like variable line weight, line softness, variable stroke type, etc. This is so that vector movies could maybe approach Disney quality, in terms of what they can render.

Just a thought, anyway.

BradBradleySL
10-02-2000, 06:19 PM
They can now, did you read the features of Flipbook, they have export to Flash and have variable line thickness, and the animations I have seen produced thus far is Disney quality, but i do agree with you that the format needs some improvements with its capabilities, but I also think that some improvements speed wise would should be also focuses on.

Brad