PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Flashcom and Firewalls???

PoopsMcGee
08-04-2002, 07:21 PM
Hi all,
Has anyone done any firewall testing with flashcom? Most my clients are behind some form of firewall and I know most of them can't use Netmeeting. I think flashcom uses one port, but does it use port 80 or another port that will need to be opened?

I plan on doing some testing myself but I wanted some opinions in the meantime.

Thanks for any replies.

PoopsMcGee
08-04-2002, 07:24 PM
I found this port tester from MM's site...
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashcom/ts/documents/port_test.htm

Still would like anyone's thoughts on this issue.

aashu.com
08-05-2002, 01:43 AM
by default ... rtmp port is 1935

and the admin port is 1111

hope this helps

psychlonex
08-05-2002, 02:00 AM
Hey - rumor has it that with some proxy/firewall magic, a few nic cards and enough time you can make it all run on port 80.

psx

PoopsMcGee
08-07-2002, 03:23 PM
Just to follow up...

I had to open ports 80 & 1935 on my SMC Barricade Router, and that allowed text, video and audio to work.

rschroeter
08-09-2002, 08:47 PM
I just posted a response to this thread:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=350748

And right after i read this post. I think i might be having a problem with my Office's firewall as well... See the post...

Briefly: I have an app that works if your on the network, but doens't work on the web (outside the network).

PoopsMcGee
08-09-2002, 09:26 PM
If you're asking what you need to do...

First off, you need access to configure your companies, or home, firewall. Once you have that, simply open ports 40 (which should already be open, and 1935 (unless you changed that number during flashcom install).

I don't know the security risks of opening port 1935 yet, but that's your call.

Hope that clears things up, if not, just ask!
Good Luck.

rschroeter
08-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by PoopsMcGee
open ports 40 (which should already be open, and 1935
Hope that clears things up, if not, just ask!
Good Luck.

PM,
Thanks i will do that monday for sure! I'm sure it will work too because right now it works great on the network. I'll then be able to move forward with this stuff!

BTW?: What is port 40: i've heard about 1935 and 1111 but what is 40 all about?

PoopsMcGee
08-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but port 40 is the port for most Internet traffic.

For example, when you tested your app from outside the network. You could see your flash interface, but couldn't communicate with the app, right? That's because viewing the .swf and .html, etc... used port 40. But communicating with the flashcom server uses port 1935.

Basically, if a firewall blocked port 40, you could not communicate with the Internet, so by default port 40 is open.

Hope that helps

psychlonex
08-10-2002, 12:06 PM
Hey -
It's port 80 usually. Your firewall may be setup differently. My guess is the person in charge of your firewall switched it to a non-standard port so as to cut down on hack attempts.

Psx

rschroeter
08-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by PoopsMcGee

For example, when you tested your app from outside the network. You could see your flash interface, but couldn't communicate with the app, right?

Yes that's right.
I could get the swf file loaded into the browser and was able to see everything fine, but couldn't "connect" and/or "share" anything.

WE NEED TO SHARE PEOPLE!!!

rschroeter
08-10-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by psychlonex
Hey -
It's port 80 usually. Your firewall may be setup differently. My guess is the person in charge of your firewall switched it to a non-standard port so as to cut down on hack attempts.

Psx

That's my guess too.
Our network dude is a paranoid old man!

PoopsMcGee
08-11-2002, 10:07 AM
Pure brain fart. Port 80 is what I meant.
Sorry