PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Mov compression

andrewhowson
08-30-2002, 12:04 AM
When exporting a movie from flash as a .mov file, what type of compression does flash use? Cinepak or another one?

secondsign
08-30-2002, 04:50 AM
what are you putting into your qt video.
if you have linked a qt movie into your flash, and
then exported is as a qt, i think,
that the qt layer stays in exactly the same compression format it always was (cos flash is actually not doing anything to the qt, it is just adding a layer to the quicktime known as as flash track)
but the flash componemts, animations and stuf that you are
putting into your quicktime, are retained in there vector format on a different layer as a ,swf track, so the only compression is what you have specified in the output settings for flash.
make sense?
i think tht is right
cheers
ss

Wheels
08-30-2002, 11:53 AM
There are two ways to check this. Just open the movie in QT and click "command i" (info, Mac) and it should tell you what codec was used.

To dig a little deeper, open the "get movie properties (command j)" window and you should also find what you are looking for.

5G

secondsign
08-30-2002, 11:30 PM
yeah, that s what i though but i tried that on a quick test export i did as QT and nothing came up in the info bout the compression codec. but i just exported fla content, not a linked qt.

Wheels
08-30-2002, 11:57 PM
Just so I'm straight on this:

There are two ways to work with a .mov in Flash MX:

1. Import the .mov and convert it to the flash timeline with Spark. From this you will create a .swf (and .fla source)

2. Link to an external .mov, you import the .mov to the timeline so you can add a Flash layer (if you wish). Then export or publish as a QT .mov.

You should be able to open the published .mov info by opening the .mov in QT and checking the settings (cmd i and j).

I would guess it's Sorenson or Sorenson 3.

So, I just did my own little test. A published QT movie from Flash (set to 5) uses Sorenson 3 compression.

5G
[Edited by Wheels on 08-31-2002 at 12:04 AM]