PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Streaming Live Audio...

dj_sphere
10-05-2002, 05:22 PM
Will I need Flash MX Com to do this?

psychlonex
10-05-2002, 06:22 PM
It really depends. If you want your streaming audio to be in a flash movie, then yes. (I may be wrong, but I've yet to see any other option for live audio)

Of course, you can use any of the myriad of streaming techs. if you just want audio on a webpage.

Psx

dj_sphere
10-05-2002, 06:42 PM
I want to stream through flash. The thing is, I'd rather not have listeners download a plugin (winamp, realplayer, etc.) to listen. Most people have a version of flash anyway.

psychlonex
10-05-2002, 07:26 PM
Cool. If you're going to use flash/flashcom server, then your users won't need anything except for the latest flash plugin.

What sort of djing do you do? I'm working up a form of battle arena for dj's this weekend. I'm mostly into skratchin' and hip hop type stuff, but the battle arena will be open to all styles.

haha. How old school is skratching anyway? Does anyone still skratch?

psx

dj_sphere
10-05-2002, 07:52 PM
I play Trance. A form of Electronic Music. Scratching really isn't my thing.

But no matter how old school scratching is, it's all around great. It keeps you listening. I have nothing but respect for dj's who can get behind a mixer and rip the hell out of a fader. :)

psychlonex
10-05-2002, 11:25 PM
Nice. Good to hear.

I should have the battle thing up this weekend. One other thought was to just have a booth. Dj's could request a slot. A simple radio where you have a few folks who keep it going 24/7. It'd be interesting to see how many listeners a flashcom radio can handle. Hmm.. I imagine my bandwidth would poop out first. I used to get about 10-15 when I had the shoutcast.

psx

* I should note for that I did do some live stuff with shoutcast now that I'm thinking about it :()

Aware0
10-09-2002, 06:46 PM
I have been interested in something similar.

An online radio "system" where multiple FCMX Servers link up to each other to provide a large database of music. Like for instance, I have lots of rock, and dj_sphere :zombie: has trance. so we have a bunch of server with gigs(i've got like 11 now) of music on them, that link to each other through this Flash app, and people make their own playlists, they dont have to listen to what the DJ wants them to...

I wanna hear some Pink Floyd then some Faithless, then Eminem, then Lost Prophets, so i just click and drag the songs, and they get played live!

and since the music is on many servers, we can have a huge selection

but now just an idea. :yikes:

dj_sphere
10-09-2002, 07:49 PM
WOW! This would be great. I would love to be a part of this. Keep me posted. :)

Somar
10-10-2002, 04:01 PM
Wow! That sounds SO awesome! It's almost as good as WinMX, oh well!

eslmix
10-15-2002, 03:59 PM
ok. since i see dj up in here i wanted t come through and pay my rpect..
brooklyn is up in here here so back da ***** up..lol
just kidding...
it's refreshing to see dj flashanimators. i thought that i was a non focus weirdo for being into webdesigns and still make beats.
anyhow, to stream audio, do i have to have flashcom or mx server in my home computer? or can i have it all hosted a mediatemple.com.
i i don't need the mx server in my computer how would i push the tunes to my website?
as you can see, i am a newbie to theserver stuff but i also woud like to keep my sreaming and on demand stuff in flash.
but you guys are tlking about 115 listeners? that is like nothing. is that bandwith or is that mxserver limations?
i also have questions on the chat feature but i will take it one at a time.
thank you so much for reading..

psychlonex
10-15-2002, 05:57 PM
Hey -
You don't need flashcom on your home machine if you're hosting at MT. All you need to do is build the app in flash (or visit one already done).

To push tunes to your site, you'd need to create an app for yourself that did the broadcasting. Pretty easy to setup. If you get stuck building it, post where you're at and we'll do our best to help!

As far as listeners go, I know the flashcom has a limit of 500 users per license (pro version) and the cheapest plan at MT gives you 10.

And finally - welcome to FlashKit! Try to refrain from using that sort of language in the future.

Psx

eslmix
10-15-2002, 07:06 PM
sorry about the language.. (weak attempt at comedy)ok.. thank you for responding so quickly. but i am new to action scripting. i can change variables and stuff but never really built an app before. do you know of a tutorial were i can read on this? not just action scripting but building an app to stream audio. i mean stream audio live from my sound card.
live!.. like i have a dj and we are talking live.
why is the pro version limited to 500 users? why didn't they let our bandwith limit us?
do you know of any prebuilt app that i can use to stream with?
i've been messing with helix server to stream stuff and it's crazy hard to configure.
holla at your boy.

psychlonex
10-15-2002, 07:37 PM
Hey -
Do you have the flashcom trial installed, or an account on MT? To build stuff, you'll need one or the other. (i hope my last post wasn't misleading here!) To explain, your users won't need flashcom, nor will you to stream, but obviously there needs to be a flashcom server somewhere in the mix, I'd opt for installing the trial version and locking yourself in the room with it for the next 30 days :)

Ok.. I've worked up 2 quick files that you can tear apart:

http://psychlonex.dyndns.org/tutorials/broadcast/

One is the broadcaster, and the other is the listener. You can combine them so that 1 person is broadcasting and the others are listening, but I figured for the sake of simplicity, I'd do it in 2 seperate files. That should get you going! Some day soon I'll work them into the dj booth/battle zone deal!

Psx

hp3
10-29-2002, 04:26 PM
I'm totally new to FlashComm server. Its not clear to me, from reading this thread, the advantage FlashComm offers for streaming audio content compared to just using loadSound( ) in the Flash MX player.

does FlashComm server have some way to prevent caching of mp3?
does FlashComm server load sound data in a way that does not take up user's RAM?
What advantages are there for using FlashComm streaming protocol compared to HTTP?

do we use loadSound( ) to call in mp3 or some other ActionScript?

psychlonex
10-29-2002, 04:34 PM
To answer a few of your questions... the advantage to using flashcomm is with streaming live/recorded audio and/or video. Obviously, the live part is a bit more exciting.

You can also record audio/video with it. It takes whatever you put into the mic and records it to a file on the server, which you can playback later.

So for static mp3's, you're better off using just the mp3/flash player. I honestly haven't toyed with loading mp3's into flash outside of a jukebox I built that used swift-mp3/flash5. I seem to recall that you loaded mp3's in the same way as loadMovie, but I may be way off base. loadSound() sounds logical.

It does prevent caching of the flv's. as as far as I can tell, it doesn't use the browsers mechanisms to play the audio/video, but again, it's not mp3 format.

Hope that helps! Do a search on the boards here for mp3 to get any more info on loading mp3s.

Psx