PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Lets make a rollercoaster!!!!!! HELP me get started plz

tiGRAN=-2001
12-03-2002, 09:34 PM
Hi interested ones... I learned circular motiion today at school, and was pretty excited :O

OK heres my idea, I want to make a spline guided MC, that has initial speed and then we let it go through a sinusoid-like slope,
anyone wanna help??? please reply. I dont know how to get started!
................. __.....
V-->..._....../..\......
.....\_/.\___/....\..... get the idea?
......................\___...

Ed Mack
12-06-2002, 01:19 PM
Cross posting?

Kermito
12-14-2002, 02:11 PM
Well out recently also learned circular motion as well but that isnt gonna help u because it will get way to complicated. What u need to learn is conservation of energy. So easy....

Heres an example of its use with a rollercoaster. The two major formuals u need are: K = (1/2)m(v*v), Ug = mgh.

Now that may seem like jargon but its very simple. At the top of ur roller coaster, say 100m high when its not moving its energy would be Ug = 100*9.8*m. Then at another point in the rollercoaster.. .lets say at a hight of 50m the roller coaster has speed so the total energy is: 50*9.8*m + (1/2)m(v*v). Then to get the v u just set those two equations equal:

100*9.8*m = 50*9.8*m + (1/2)m(v*v). The m cancel and u simply solve for ur V. in this case it would be... 31.3 m/s. If there is friction it would be a little more complex but not by much

bchew007
12-23-2002, 06:42 PM
Maybe this is offtopic, but I have a tip link with something in this range... although... it is a bezier thing that has a ball that can roll off a bezier. http://www.andre-michelle.com/

Professor_Emp
12-28-2002, 12:42 AM
Energy methods are great, but their drawback is that they can only analyze two points; they can not determine what is happening, in functional form, between these two points. The potential energy in this case does not know that the rollercoaster goes through sinusoidal-like motion, only that the rollercoaster drops a height, H, from start to finish.

One solution would be to use energy methods, but to breaks the track into single waves. If functional info is needed, use interpolation functions between the two points of each segment. Friction would have to be accounted to better simulate this piecemeal treatment. The frictional forces would be small, hardened steel and all.

Also, your track, as diagrammed, would have to be flipped; the largest hill comes first, providing the potential energy for the rest of the ride.

Don't give up on the circular motion approach.

P.E.
:p

tiGRAN=-2001
12-28-2002, 04:16 AM
very interesting replys, thanks!!

now I gotta read some books and try to apply that Formula.
:eek:

:D
Tigran

tiGRAN=-2001
12-28-2002, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by bchew007
Maybe this is offtopic, but I have a tip link with something in this range... although... it is a bezier thing that has a ball that can roll off a bezier. http://www.andre-michelle.com/

that page is awsome (andre michele)
and very addictive too, I couldnt stop playing with all the experiments! and another hour exploring the links!
- CAUTION - before trying that link , you might loose some time ;)