PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Graphic tennis: Johnie versus Wouter

wouter999
12-17-2002, 11:33 AM
Johnie versus Wouter, usual rules. :)

Serve: Graphic extravaganza!

djhamer
12-17-2002, 05:16 PM
Hey Wouter.

I would like to work on my PS skills. Would you mind if I sent emailed you a few volleys based off your serve? I won't post them here. Don't want to jack the tread.
cheers

johnie
12-17-2002, 10:51 PM
I have the serve. Will return shortly.

johnie
12-18-2002, 09:07 PM
I just couldn't resist doing this...

Oh yeah, my criter image is from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/Department of Commerce and is in the public domain and CANNOT be copyrighted. - I had to credit them for the usage of that mighty fine critter image...

wouter999
12-21-2002, 05:41 AM
Round 3-

http://www.jameseyoung.co.uk/wouter/tennis/johnievswouter/round3_tn.jpg (http://www.jameseyoung.co.uk/wouter/tennis/johnievswouter/round3.jpg)

(click image for larger version)

johnie
12-21-2002, 02:27 PM
I have your return.

jony389
12-22-2002, 04:56 PM
how do you make those????:confused:

johnie
12-23-2002, 03:53 PM
Jony which volley?

I'm competing with the GIMP ( www.gimp.org the Gimp is a photoshop 5 like program for Linux but a port of it exists for Windows and it is suitable for use. The Windows port isn't fully functional and some of the filters don't work right and the clone brush likewise is broken in the Windows version) and am unsure as what Wouter is using- probably Photoshop.

Anyhow I can't really comment on Wouter's work but I can tell you how I did mine. They are all pretty simple as I don't have super skills or anything and am mostly competing for practice and fun.

Wouter opened with Gray Pic that I didn't much see anything much I could do anything with so I made his entire Pic a Level in the Gimp. I then went out and looked for some animal pics. originally I was going to do an Image of a Giant Pengine eating his image but could not find the pic I wanted off of NOA website (See royalty free images sticky), most the NOA images are public domain so there is no permesion to ask or anything but you do have to credit them, so I choose the one with the penguin Flapping his wings.

I then opened the penguin pic in the Gimp and copied it.

I then swapped back to the serve picture
created a new level and pasted the penguin into it. I then duplicated the level. I then Organized the layers so that It went Penguin, original, Penguin. I then Hid the top level by clicking the Eye in the Gimp layer dialouge. I also slected the Original pick from the same dialouge. With the top layer hidden I can see the Original pic and the penguin. I thin scalled down the Original layer from Wouter. Moved it and rotated and sheered it so that the Flapping Penguin was holding the original mor or less. I then slected down to the bottom layer and used the color picker on the penguin. Then selected the layer with the wouters image and switched to the paint brush tool. I selected a brush and painted on the flippers so that it apeared that the penguin wings were holding the original picture.

I then unhid my top layer and and applied a filter to make it look like tile and used the rectangle select tool to frame it and cut the frame section out of that layer. While I was looking at it it apeared as if it was a placemat on top of a table but out of time I di not alter the image anymore but rather just left it as is. I could have worked in a table cloth and vase on top of the tile for a cooler effect but left it as is. I flattened all my layers and the exported to Jpg making sure to optimize the image.

The second one.

I opened Woutrer's Pic in the GIMP. I copyed it and pasted as new- Allowing me to have 2 copies of the same pick open at the same time. I used the Jigsaw Rendering filter to overlay a Jigsaw. I then swapped back to the original Image and Addsed a layer. Moved the blank layer to the bottom. I opened a Pic of a serving tray and copy and pasted it into the blank layer and moved it to the bottom.

I then cleared the top layer dupicated it and switched back to my copy. Using the intelegent sizors I selected and copied pieces of the Jigsaw. Swaped back to the other picture and pasted as a floating selection. Roteted and sheered them and then copied them before anchoring them. I'd switch down to the balnk layer one down fromm my top layer and would paste a copy of my selection. In this layer I'd adjust the color saturation so that it was black and then would shift it slightly off from the layer above it to create a shadow. I would then repeate the process. Finally I would merge all the visible layers. Add my text and then applied a canvas. Then I exported as Jpg making sure to optimize the image. That is all it is to it.

gerbick
12-23-2002, 04:35 PM
hey johnnie/wouter. cools work guys!

johnie, nice to see you in the Arena mang! :)

wouter999
12-24-2002, 04:25 AM
Jony -

I made my volleys using Photoshop 7.

The serve:

I used the gradient tool first, mode set to difference, and went on making random gradients (and quite a lot at that), producing a "velvet" effect. Then I used the Image>Adjustments>Threshold to produce a duotoned (black and white) image. After that I used the Filter>Other>High Pass filter at a very low setting.

After that I made a new file of 16x16 pixels, divided it into 4 blocks and coloured two of them grey nd two of them white. Then I used Edit>define pattern. On my main image I made a new layer and used Edit>Fill... and set the mode to pattern and selected the newly made pattern. Then I took my high-passed image and took the Single column selection tool and extended the left side of the image. Then I erased it to reveal the pattern. Then I added another pattern of pixels over it, and I colored them with a gradient. After that I added text in the font DIN Engschrift and played a little with the blending options.

The volley: I took Johnie's image, rescaled it, and put it over the shell of a turtle image. Then I erased every unnessecary bits, with the layer blending mode of Johnie's pic to hard light.

Then I added the three other pics, and distorted them with a special image (filter>distort>displace) and also I made a white boder around them and also distorted them. The layer styles of the white borders are overlay, the turtle images are hard light. After that I inverted the big turtle image. Then I added the text in the fonts Mest and Guilty. The text blending mode is overlay.

That's basically it... :)

johnie
12-26-2002, 06:15 PM
Wouter are we going to have rounds 5 and 6?

jamble
12-26-2002, 06:46 PM
Keep 'em coming :)

alty29
12-26-2002, 09:31 PM
nice work guys, great match