PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : mural battle.. anyone wanna try??

nayades
01-14-2003, 07:55 AM
i'd love to try a mural battle so if anyone's interested, i'll serve as soon as they show in .. :)

Egojab
01-14-2003, 01:16 PM
well i am kinda new to this whole battle thing but if you dont mind i would love to try to give you a run.

Egojab
01-15-2003, 08:53 PM
so is your lack of an answer to be interpreted as a no or did you just decide not to do it??

just kidding

anyway i am ready anytime unless you have a better offer

gerbick
01-15-2003, 10:33 PM
I'm interested too.

nope egojab, the Arena et al, has slowed down mainly due the fact that Flashkit servers have been slow lately.

:cap:

Saint Benedetta
01-15-2003, 11:43 PM
what's a mural battle?
:confused:

iLikePie
01-16-2003, 12:37 AM
ya ditto

if it's a multi-person thingy, i'm interested in participating, but it sounds like a 2person thing...

please enlighten us nayades!

Stuart

BlueSamurai
01-16-2003, 02:10 AM
I WILL!! I have been waiting to do a mural:cool:

-BS

nayades
01-16-2003, 06:18 AM
sorry for the delay.. as gerbick said i've had some serious trouble with flashkit, but everything's working now. At least for me :)

Ok, the mural battle idea is to produce a single piece of work, joining the different smaller pieces the people produce. We end up with a long stripe of nice image work. So i'll post the serve this afternoon and some more tips on how to achieve a perfect joint between volleys ;).

Order:
nayades.
egojab.
gerbick.
saint b.
ilikepie.
Bs.

I think that is just it. Six 'players' would be more than fine. More details this afternoon.

iLikePie
01-16-2003, 06:32 AM
that sounds cool!

so do you try to keep a similar style throughout or is it just up to personal taste? i hope my section will be ok... i'm a bit of a n00b

am i right in thinking that you would have to use the edge of the last volley in yours so they have a smooth transition? it actually sounds a bit like the patchworks that i read a bit about

i'm really looking forward to this!
Stuart

nayades
01-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by iLikePie
am i right in thinking that you would have to use the edge of the last volley in yours so they have a smooth transition? it actually sounds a bit like the patchworks that i read a bit about
Stuart

That's exactly it! ;)

wouter999
01-16-2003, 10:08 AM
Check this (http://www.cubadust.com/versus/) one - a fine example of a "Mural".

I don't think it should be restricted to six players. Let this one play out for a little while, and the results will be great. :)

I've been thinking of starting this here as well, so this is like sheer coincidence. I have a help image made already...

http://www.jameseyoung.co.uk/wouter/tennis/collab_img_project/guidelines.gif

Rules explained:

You grab the previous image's PSD file. To this, you add 950 pixels on the right (Image>Canvas Size). In these new 950 you make a new image which seamlessly flows over from the previous image. Then you slice off 950 pixels from the left. Then you have the next image.

wouter999
01-16-2003, 10:10 AM
Oh yeah, I'd like to join in. :D

gSOLO_01
01-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by wouter999
Check this (http://www.cubadust.com/versus/) one - a fine example of a "Mural".

I don't think it should be restricted to six players. Let this one play out for a little while, and the results will be great. :)

I've been thinking of starting this here as well, so this is like sheer coincidence. I have a help image made already...

Looks cool... I'd be interested.

jamble
01-16-2003, 11:07 AM
count me in too :)

serpent star
01-16-2003, 12:17 PM
me too!!!

Egojab
01-16-2003, 02:06 PM
i was looking at the instructions you gave and correct me if i am wrong but in order to make the overlap blend properly and keep the size shouldn't you only add 650 pixels to the canvas instead of 950? by adding 950 you are making each portion of the mural 1100 pixels with a 150 overlap instead of 800 with a 150 overlap

sorry if i am wrong

nayades
01-16-2003, 04:00 PM
ok, instead of such big images (kinda of slow) I thought we could have a smaller/quicker size, so that everyones has a try, and even two! :) I post the serve here.. I believe it would be fun and quite a challenge to see what you can do with such a small size.. (i've had some problems myself deciding what to start with... ;))

rules..
300x200 kind of tiny, but that will make it more fun and quicker.
going sideways, to the right.
1 day per volley if not less. skipping will be done.

i'll fix the images and give you lot the link as soon as this get's going.

nayades
01-16-2003, 04:02 PM
Order:
nayades. done
egojab.
gerbick.
saint b.
ilikepie.
Bs.
wouter.
gsolo.
jambs.
serpent.

if you need the Ps file egojab, just say it. or email me...;)

serpent star
01-16-2003, 04:20 PM
classy start nayades
nice one

gerbick
01-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Egojab
i was looking at the instructions you gave and correct me if i am wrong but in order to make the overlap blend properly and keep the size shouldn't you only add 650 pixels to the canvas instead of 950? by adding 950 you are making each portion of the mural 1100 pixels with a 150 overlap instead of 800 with a 150 overlap

sorry if i am wrong

yeah, just a bit wrong. you are only concerned with the 150 of the 950 that's going to overlap. in otherwords, you overlap the 150, then blend that overlap into your original 800.

the next person will blend into the last 150 of yours.

Egojab
01-16-2003, 06:10 PM
are we still overlapping 150 or less because it is smaller??

gSOLO_01
01-16-2003, 06:39 PM
are we still overlapping 150 or less because it is smaller??

I don't think overlapping is neccicary...

nayades
01-16-2003, 06:56 PM
you choose how many pixels you overlap (or use from the previous).. but 150 leaves you with just another 150 pix for your own image... :)

you choose... i believe 0 to 50 pixels is ok.. you can choose to continue the previous one a bit, or start (the left border of your piece matching) from the very border.

dunno if i made myself clear... anyway we'll solve any probs as volleys start to come in ;)

Egojab
01-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Here is the first part i posted it with the serve attached as well i hope that is how it is supposed to go anyway look forward to the rest

http://stu.aii.edu/~qlc241/mural1.jpg

88webmonkey88
01-16-2003, 08:56 PM
If your still taking people, I'm in :cool:

iLikePie
01-16-2003, 09:26 PM
you're up Gerbs...

um... should we keep posting the whole image, because if we do, it's going to (a) skyrocket in file size and (b) be really annoying, because people will keep having to scroll their browser sideways...:confused:

what's the best option? It would be fairly cool if someone was able to make a thing like that example battle had (with the little scroll window and stuff) so that each person could just post their section and have them all collated on one site... any volunteers :p

anyways, lets get this thing going!

Stuart

Saint Benedetta
01-16-2003, 09:27 PM
By the amount of interest, I say we create a seperate thread for the murals and the list order and maybe a .htm page to put them all together.

:)

gerbick
01-16-2003, 10:15 PM
erm, egojab, care to offer your PSD? the way you ended that doesn't really lend itself well to a continuation.

I'm gonna have to pull something out for this one...

BlueSamurai
01-16-2003, 10:28 PM
This is gonna be soo fun! :smoov:

*Gets ready with his new wacom tablet and airbrushing tutorials*

-BS

gerbick
01-16-2003, 11:58 PM
hey guys... move me down a slot or two - saintB, take my place for now. I'll have a new monitor tomorrow.

my damn monitor just died, and I'm using my laptop at the second.

:mad:

Saint Benedetta
01-17-2003, 12:59 AM
i hear yer mr. gerbs

jasonpratt
01-17-2003, 02:15 AM
too late to sign up??? hope not...

mural... deja vu!?

epic-aragorn
01-17-2003, 05:49 AM
I can't wait for the next volley. Let's goooooooooooooo. ;)

Maybe next time I shall participate.

Saint Benedetta
01-17-2003, 06:57 AM
What about now?
Won't be long guys

nayades
01-17-2003, 07:10 AM
ok adding three more to the list. this is it. no more entries allowed just now. We'll see how it develops, and if we want to continue when everyone has finished then more people could take part.
at the moment:

nayades. done
egojab. done
gerbick.
saint b.
ilikepie.
Bs.
wouter.
gsolo.
jambs.
serpent.
webmonkey.
jasonpratt.
epicaragorn.

nayades
01-17-2003, 07:13 AM
Here is the first part i posted it with the serve attached as well i hope that is how it is supposed to go anyway look forward to the rest

http://board.flashkit.com/board/

ego, could you send me the file without the overlapping?

I'm attaching everything at my site. will give you the link this tomorrow.

BTW don't post the whole image, as ILpie said it would end up too big in file and size... better having it attahced at an url. :) post just your submission benedetta! (you're next!!)

nayades
01-17-2003, 07:16 AM
forgot to say ego... you''ve made quite an strange overlap. I think we said overlaping wasn't necessary.. the image you posted joined with mine should make a 600 wide image... and it is only 450 :confused:?????żżżż???żżż

epic-aragorn
01-17-2003, 07:56 AM
whoah pull me off that list

Originally posted by epic-aragorn
I can't wait for the next volley. Let's goooooooooooooo. ;)

Maybe next time I shall participate.

NEXT TIME :-P

Haven't see this done yet so I want to watch one of these battles before I participate.

nayades
01-17-2003, 09:35 AM
ok.. you decide :confused: but you're going to have plenty of time to learn mang ;)... 12 people before you!!

Saint Benedetta
01-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Really sorry about the quality of my piece.. either I finish it tonight or tomorrow.

http://nerdinside.dyndns.org/saintb/volleys/mural2.jpg

Egojab
01-17-2003, 12:20 PM
well sorry guys apparently i have made a mess out of this. anyway i would have replied sooner but i could not post in this thread til today. if there is still any problems please let me know and i will fix them.

sorry again guys

iLikePie
01-17-2003, 06:58 PM
soo... am i up now, or are you gonna jump in Gerbick?

i'm happy either way, but i wouldn't mind knowing :P

if i don't get a reply in an hour or so, i'll just go ahead and make my volley, so unless gerbs happens to come online and read this, i guess it's me

anyhow, nice volleys so far :)

Stuart

iLikePie
01-17-2003, 08:01 PM
k well i think i'll just volley off this since gerbs hasn't been in

should have it sometime today (in Oz time) = up to 12 hrs from now

sorry if that seems too long...

Stuart

wouter999
01-18-2003, 05:40 AM
I reckon you should all post the psd, 'cause it's damn hard working from a flattened image.

sorry for the mix up on my guideline image, now that I come to think of it, it's indeed erroronous...

iLikePie
01-18-2003, 07:05 AM
okies... i've done my bit but i really don't like it much... spent ages mucking around with stuff and just found nothing i liked much, so sorry guys :(

now what do i do with the whole mural? i'll post my bit here, but do i have to send the whole thing to someone else too?

also, i don't use PS so i can't really post a psd... but if the next person (haven't checked who yet) really needs one i can sortof scratch one up

anyhow, i'm sorry to anyone else who doesn't like the volley!

Stuart

http://members.optusnet.com.au/elith/Stuart/piepiece.jpg

BlueSamurai
01-19-2003, 12:56 AM
so it's my turn now?

iLikePie
01-19-2003, 02:35 AM
ya i think so...

do you want the whole mural so far, or is just my volley ok?
the other option could be to d/l saint's piece and manually add mine, or i can post the whole thing so far. Your choice really

also, is it ok with you to just work with a flattened image? if you read my previous post you'll see the complications with a .psd but as said i can do something if necessary

go for it :cool:
Stuart

BlueSamurai
01-19-2003, 01:18 PM
yea I can use the flattened image

BlueSamurai
01-19-2003, 07:08 PM
hey pie......um could i get the psd? your volly is alot harder then I thought to work with:(

-BS

iLikePie
01-19-2003, 10:48 PM
howdy...

uh well the thing is (as i explained before) that i don't use photoshop, and i think that the export to .psd option won't export layer styles and stuff because my program isn't layer based.

i think the best i can offer is to give you a copy of all the images i used, and just tell you what layer styles, transparencies and masks i used... it'll be a bit hard still but it should help, and it's probably more reliable than a .psd

can i get your email addy to send them to?

Stuart

BlueSamurai
01-19-2003, 11:15 PM
nah man thats too much for ya to have to do;) Maybe nayades and everyone will be really nice and give me alil longer:) :confused:

-BS

iLikePie
01-20-2003, 01:24 AM
hey bluey, i've already done it now... i saw you were online last time i posted, but i guess you didn't get to see it

i can see you're online now too, so i'll put the files onto my webspace and you just d/l the folder ok?

Stuart

EDIT 2: files taken down because BS has them now...

BlueSamurai
01-20-2003, 01:53 AM
ok got it.......ty man:) I should have my portion done by tomorrow morning:cool:

-BS

iLikePie
01-22-2003, 06:59 PM
:bump:

anyone know what's happened to BS?

haven't seen him in a few days now, and he owes about 3 ppl volleys...

oh well
Stuart

jasonpratt
01-25-2003, 02:54 PM
its been a couple days, and no sign of bs... i say he gets bumped back a couple slots and let wouter go next...

anyone?

nayades
01-25-2003, 03:58 PM
fine for me.. as long as this continues :rolleyes:

iLikePie
01-25-2003, 10:28 PM
well then, it's decided! now we need to get Wouter to read this thread, so he knows he's next

hope blueSamurai is ok :(

Stuart

PS Wouter, when you read this, let me know if you want the stuff i gave BS (it's just a few of the images to work with, coz he said it was hard... but it's not a full .psd or anythign)

wouter999
01-26-2003, 09:03 AM
I can't participate anymore, that being because I really am too busy for it. Sorry... :(

iLikePie
01-26-2003, 06:20 PM
k, looks like Gsolo is up next... or if not him, jams

shame you can't take part wouter, maybe another time when you're less busy :cap:
and i like your avatar too :D

so... Gsolo, you ready to roll?
Let's keep this thing going!

Stuart

Also, if people keep dropping out, perhaps we could get a few more for the list? It's not really my call, but it might be good...

gSOLO_01
01-26-2003, 07:04 PM
okie dokie... I should have it done by tomorrow (gotta watch the superbowl)

iLikePie
01-26-2003, 08:36 PM
which team are you going for?

i don't really watch american football much, but i think i like Tampa bay better...

anyway, look forward to your volley tomorrow :D

Stuart

gSOLO_01
01-26-2003, 08:39 PM
which team are you going for?Tampa Bay...

gerbick
01-27-2003, 04:00 AM
...if people keep dropping out, perhaps we could get a few more for the list? It's not really my call, but it might be good...

I got my new monitor.

19 inch Sony LCD.

Tell me when I can join in... I'm baaack! :D

iLikePie
01-27-2003, 06:47 PM
sweet gerbs... i bet that screen is nice (and expensive? )!

i reckon you could slot in right after Gsolo, coz you were meant to be a fair bit earlier, right? dunno if you've read the whole thread, but BlueSam has disappeared, and Wouter is too busy, so i think you could be next :D
anyone else?

Stuart

gSOLO_01
01-27-2003, 08:28 PM
Kinda looks untransitional. Hmmm... I'm feeling uncreative...

here you go un..

iLikePie
01-28-2003, 03:37 AM
i think it's fine Gsolo...

one question to anyone who knows... in a mural, are you normally 'allowed' to edit the one before yours to make the transition nicer? i don't mind, just interested to know

i spose it's your turn now gerbs, unless anyone else has an objection?
also, i think that SaintB's panel got cut out of solo's volley somehow, so maybe you can add it back in the right spot gerbs...

Stuart

gerbick
01-28-2003, 11:46 AM
so. is it my turn or are you guessing?

jasonpratt
01-28-2003, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE
one question to anyone who knows... in a mural, are you normally 'allowed' to edit the one before yours to make the transition nicer? i don't mind, just interested to know

thats the whole point of the "overlapping" pixels so you can edit them to make it more seamless..

gerbick
01-28-2003, 12:54 PM
yo jason... I got your message.

might have to take it to e-mail. cool?

I'm game.

jasonpratt
01-28-2003, 02:54 PM
sure thing!

iLikePie
01-28-2003, 06:06 PM
yeah jason i understand that concept, i was just asking because in the current one, the end of my piece is also affected by the pixellised look from Gsolo's one...

it's all good

Gerbs: "is it my turn or are you guessing"
well... i'm not really the creator or main organiser of this mural, it's just that when no-one else does anything i tried to keep it going. So yes, i'm just guessing, but unless anyone else is gonna say something, i think you have the right to go... maybe nayades will come back and take control of this thread again?

Stuart

gerbick
01-30-2003, 03:31 AM
http://gorillafarm.net/images/mural.jpg

There. Fixed with Saint Benedetta's post intact - it was missing somehow.

iLikePie
01-31-2003, 02:57 AM
nice one gerbs... :D

as far as the list goes, jamble is up next

Stuart

Mechwar
01-31-2003, 10:19 AM
im sorry to cut in but i wanted apart of the mural battle to only i didnt have a psd but nm here is my part
http://http://planet.nana.co.il/bunny1/mural%5B1%5D%2Ejpg

Mechwar
01-31-2003, 10:21 AM
sorry accidently puted two http://
http://planet.nana.co.il/bunny1/mural%5B1%5D%2Ejpg

iLikePie
01-31-2003, 07:58 PM
um mechwar...

it's ettiquette not to just jump into a battle without asking, especially when we have a specified order to work on. You really should have asked to be part of it first, because jamble may be working on his piece to match up with gerbs, which won't transition nicely with yours - hopefully he isn't

also, you've actually cut into some of gerb's volley with your map of the world thingy

anyhow, in the future try not to just push into battles without asking

Jamble, you're up (still)

Stuart

gerbick
01-31-2003, 10:01 PM
Pie... don't worry about it mate. the more the merrier! Overlapping is the name of the game... good usage.

however, next time, you might want to ask, Mechwar? Nice work though!

Hope to see you in the Arena more mang!

jasonpratt
02-01-2003, 03:50 AM
agreed....
it should be about the fun right?

ive jumped on murals that have gotten world-wide MAJOR publicaton...
because it was slow...

the ol' saying goes here:

"DON'T HATE ME BECAUSE I'M BEAUTIFUL"....

Nice Volley Guy!!! (or GAL...)

:P

Mechwar
02-01-2003, 05:09 AM
sorry guys
woldent happen again

jamble
02-01-2003, 09:01 AM
sorry folks, not been following this match, I can still go next though. Which image/file am I working from?

gSOLO_01
02-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by jamble7000
Which image/file am I working from?
Mechwar's, the last one posted...

iLikePie
02-01-2003, 06:37 PM
sorry if i was a bit too harsh mechwar... it's not really a problem in this case, and at least your volley looks good!

i was just a bit annoyed because i've seen a few ppl cutting into battles recently (even just 1 on 1 battles!) and i thought it was time to say something, but i may have been unfair in this case...

anyway, it's good that you could be part of it :) and hopefully you'll stick around

Stuart

Go jambles!

aznFilipinezian
02-19-2003, 02:34 AM
wow this stuff is coolio! keep it going!
if ur looking for a person next time just gimme a PM :D