PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : The Summer Battle - Lucremonkey vs Saint Benedetta

Lucremonkey
03-24-2003, 06:54 AM
Hey people,
I'm wondering if anyone wants to battle me. The theme will be summer.

The rules:

: 1024x786 :
: Use of any program allowed :
: Jpeg's, but PSD's on request :
: Try and keep it clean (not to abstract) :
: Filesize? Do what you must :) :
: Please enjoy ;) :

Well, tell me if you want to battle...

Greets,
Lucre

P.S. 26 people have watched this post, but didn't reply :( Is everybody busy or something?!
P.P.S. Let's see if this post can get to 100 views without one person wanting to battle me :confused:

nayades
03-25-2003, 12:41 PM
well the theme is not attractive :)

Lucremonkey
03-26-2003, 05:00 AM
Ok, in that case a new rule:
Change the theme if you wanna!!!
Let's see how people will react...

iLikePie
03-26-2003, 11:35 PM
just another tip...

if you really want to get a battle going, it's much better to put a serve up. That way, people can see what they'll be working with, and you don't have to wait to work out who will serve and so on, and also, they don't have to think of an idea

hope you find someone

Stuart

Saint Benedetta
03-27-2003, 03:45 AM
I'm interested, you can keep it in a summer theme. I'll serve if you want :)

Lucremonkey
03-27-2003, 04:15 AM
Be my guest! :)
Finally a person who want to battle me :) (and even keep the theme :D)
Sorry for the late raply, but since you live on the other side of the world we have a huge time difference :(, but I don't think it will affect the battle.
As soon as you serve, I will post a return volley within 24 hours.

Greets,
Lucre

P.S. If you need a host, check out:
http://www.brinkster.com
They offer really good free hosting with no ads and they support linkage (so you can link to the image on a messageboard).

Saint Benedetta
03-27-2003, 04:19 AM
Lucremonkey, I sent you an e-mail :) I'll have a serve up tonight. Do you mind rotation of the size?

Lucremonkey
03-27-2003, 05:02 AM
I have a question to one of the administrators/moderators.
I'm doing PS-battles for some time now and been on a lot of different messageboards. The last one I was on was Where-Here, but they're gone now. Over there you just made a post if you wanted to battle and when you found someone you change the thread-title so that everybody saw who you battled. At another messageboard you had to go to another section of the board to find someone to battle you and then go to the battle section.

How do people useally do it over here? I saw that the thread-title changed, so my guess is that the moderators (you) change the title as soon as you seen that the thread-starter found someone. Also in other battles people send eachtother PM's or e-mails.

Could you please tell me what's normal :)

P.S. Saint Benedetta: About the rotations; when it comes to PS-battles I always make rules, but we can alter them :) On the other hand, I almost always use photo's in my battles and I don't know if I can find photo's that fit when we rotate the size, but when you think it will help you create something even cooler, sure! :)

Saint Benedetta
03-27-2003, 06:10 AM
This should be interesting, I've never worked with this resolution before :)

Lucremonkey
03-27-2003, 06:11 AM
LOL, np let me work on that image :)

Saint Benedetta
03-27-2003, 06:13 AM
How many rounds do you want Lucremonkey?

Lucremonkey
03-27-2003, 06:16 AM
Well, I don't know. Did you have something in mind? I normally battle 5 round or something and if we want we continue... (most battles become 10 round :))

P.S. I have to go and do an exam now (school... *sight*), so I won't be able to post a volley within the next hours. But, I will post it somewhere tonight (GMT +1:00 ;))

Saint Benedetta
03-27-2003, 06:33 AM
Yeah, I battle around 5 rounds each :D LOL, that reminds me, I have to study for an exam tomorrow too. And it's 8:37 pm here, so I'll probably see your volley tomorrow :)

Lucremonkey
03-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Took me some time since I first had one idear, but then came up with this :)

I hope you like it and can work with it :)

Okay, guess Brinkster suddenly doesn't support linkage and my Tripod server is undergoing maintainance for a week (!).

I made a HTML page so you can click on the links and it doesn't start saying you can't link from outside of Brinkster :)

About the volley: It's been a long time, so please don't be too hard on me ;)

The link is:
http://www26.brinkster.com/lucremon/PS_Battle/crap.html

Saint Benedetta
03-28-2003, 02:37 AM
Nice one :)

I haven't PS battled anyone for a long time too (about one and a half months) and this is the first time I've worked with a resolution of more than the usual 800x600, so it's all new. I won't be too hard on you :D

I use to do external linkage (using Geocities), someone offered me hosting and for some reason I can't upload anything so I'm just attaching it to my replies. I'll start on it tonight.

Just wondering, are you from WH? :)

BlueSamurai
03-28-2003, 03:53 AM
Interesting battle so far guys!:D :Waves to SaintB:

-BS

Lucremonkey
03-28-2003, 06:00 AM
Well, I started out as a webdesigner and doing stuff in Flash. This made me come to Flashkit. After a while I started using Photoshop and discovered the whole PS-tennis concept. I started following this a Flashkit, but also found WH after a while. I done many battles there, but don't see myself as only a WH member :) I'm as mutch a member of FK as of WH ;) (well, more a FK member since WH is gone).

About the resolution: I used to do PS-battles on my old pc and this has a TFT-screen which can go up to 1024x768. I normally battled on 1024x768, because this way I could also always use the battle as a background :) Now I have a new PC (2.8Ghz, 512 RDRAM, 17" High Res. TFT which goes up to 1280x1024) so now it's even easier to do a 1024x768 battle since I can now see the whole canvas at 100% (working at something else than 100% can make especially the fonts look bad :(

Also, most free stock photo sites have photos around 1024x768, so this also become a problem. I still want to do a poster-size battle one day, but this would also take a lot of time (imagine doing a 3000x2000 battle ;))

I don't see a problem in attaching the files. The only small problem is that the files have to be max. 100KB This way you have to lower the quality (a Photoshop Jpeg quality of 60 insted of 80) and can sometimes be seen. When I worked on your image I first had to get rid of all the pixel stuff Photoshop creates when you work with a lower quality. THis isn't a real problem I guess I just want it a bit to perfect sometime :D
I will improve that webpage I put my stuff on and eventually showcase all my battles there, but I'm a bit busy now :)
The best thing would be if I would be able to create some sort of upload form so people I battle against can just upload it to my server. I just don't know how to create this :(

Well, enough with all the talking; I'm looking foward to your volley :)

Saint Benedetta
03-28-2003, 06:47 AM
:waves back:

Blue, it's always the PS battles that bring me back...too tempting...

Aaah, cathbert's skin is very very nice :)

Marilyn Monroe is a true goddess - will have to include her again in a later volley.

Speaking of volleys, here's mine -

(edit - decided to change the text)

Saint Benedetta
03-28-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Lucremonkey
I don't see a problem in attaching the files. The only small problem is that the files have to be max. 100KB This way you have to lower the quality (a Photoshop Jpeg quality of 60 insted of 80) and can sometimes be seen. When I worked on your image I first had to get rid of all the pixel stuff Photoshop creates when you work with a lower quality. THis isn't a real problem I guess I just want it a bit to perfect sometime :D

Yeah, the quality of my return is is really bad because of the upload max. size :( I'll try your idea of putting the image in a .htm file and submitting in the link on the next return :) Actually, I could e-mail you a good quality of the return to save time.

Well, I started out as a webdesigner and doing stuff in Flash. This made me come to Flashkit. After a while I started using Photoshop and discovered the whole PS-tennis concept. I started following this a Flashkit, but also found WH after a while. I done many battles there, but don't see myself as only a WH member I'm as mutch a member of FK as of WH (well, more a FK member since WH is gone).
I first wanted to battle when I saw this team PS battle some time ago - it was Flash Kit vs Were-Here. This was a long time before the FK Arena. Anyway, I did my first noob battle with this guy called Webmonkey over at CoffeeLounge.Org (which doesn't exist now) about 6 months ago. And a few more which didn't really last more than one round. I also liked the WH arena - I love their atmosphere, I was like laughing like hell just reading their replies ;) But I never battled there.

How do people useally do it over here? I saw that the thread-title changed, so my guess is that the moderators (you) change the title as soon as you seen that the thread-starter found someone. Also in other battles people send eachtother PM's or e-mails.
If you want to change the title, then you can PM the mods who are in charge of this forum (Aversion, Jamble and Gerbick). One of the mods changed the title of an earlier battle (one with Sakrojones) about 5 times ;) *looks at gerbick*

Lucremonkey
03-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Nice volley!!!

Yeah, sorry for losing Marilyn Monroe in your serve, but she wasn't working in my volley :D
I will work on my volley :)

P.S. a problem on all boards: how do we count rounds? I normally see the serve and my volley as the first round. Your next volley is in the second, my second volley in the second round, etc.
Or do we count The serve as round 1, my volley as round 2, your volley as round 3, etc. ?

hollywood
03-28-2003, 11:01 AM
I am digging the vibrant summer colors :).

Nice volleys guys.

iLikePie
03-28-2003, 10:26 PM
also about changing thread titles:

the person who created the thread (in this case lucre) can actually change the title themselves, by editing their first post, and changing the title from the appropriate box :)

nice battle ppl
Stuart

Saint Benedetta
03-28-2003, 11:06 PM
I see rounds as the returns (including serve) we have each. Like, a four round battle would be four returns each including the serve, unless the serve isn't counted in (which I did - reason why I had No. 3 on my return). So in a four round battle, there would be a total of 8 returns including the serve. Hope it clears off some confusion :p And have fun with the volley :smoov:

Lucremonkey
03-29-2003, 04:43 AM
Okay, that did clear things up :)

About my volley: I tried loads of stuff, but still havent made anything I liked, but I will complete it today. I'm also working on that HTML-page so people can go there and watch the battle.

I will tell more about this page when I post my volley :)

Saint Benedetta
03-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Cool, 'nuff said, looking forward to the volley. If you happen to post one today, I probably can't start on it until late at night AEST because of two assignments I gotta do :(

:smoov:

Lucremonkey
03-30-2003, 03:29 PM
Hey, sorry for the wait but:
- I had a hard time making the volley (I don't really like the result, but I guess I has to do)
- My Internet Service Provider decided to give my modem a ID of one which was stolen. So I didn't have internet for half a day :(

Anyway, like I said; the volley isn't really what I wanted (far from it), but I will have to do.

The good news is that I made a temp. internet site for the battles. I'm also starting to learn how to make an upload form, so soon you will be able to upload your volleys yourself. For now, just post them here, or even better: mail the to me at:
My e-mail (m_uit_ouderkerk@hotmail.com)
and I will put them up.

I was trying to register www.psbattle.tk (http://www.psbattle.tk) but I still haven't got the e-mail with the active-link, so you will have to go to:
http://members.lycos.nl/lucremonkey/PSBattle_Sessions/Battle.html

I hope you like it, but it's only temporary; so just be patient :)

P.S. I just watched the website to see if it works, but when I tried it in Netscape it doens't seem to load the Stylesheet (.css), so please view it in Internet Explorer. I didn't see any bugs apart from this, but if you see one, please tell me :)
P.P.S. sorry about the advertisement on the site, you get one thing over half of the screen, but just click it away when you can or wait untill it's gone. It will only be displayed once a day :) I choose this server because it's one of the only free hosts who support PHP and MySQL

Saint Benedetta
03-31-2003, 01:40 AM
Oh wow, great site!!! :D I am currently using Mozilla, and Opera to save the return (I'm using the Mozilla beta version and it doesn't save images) but I can view it perfectly in both browsers.

Nice one btw :p I will get one to you either tonight or tomorrow AEST because of an assignment due tomorrow. Sorry 'bout that Lucre :o

Saint

Lucremonkey
03-31-2003, 01:46 AM
Np, I'm also a bit busy due to exams :)
Btw, I fixed the domainregistration, so you can just go to:
www.psbattle.tk (http://www.psbattle.tk)
I will see your volley when it's done, take your time :)

Lucre

P.S. i just installed Opera (friend of mine has it and it's really faster than IE) and you were right; the page does load correctly in Opera. Guess it's just Netscape (hate it)

Saint Benedetta
03-31-2003, 09:32 AM
Here we go...

Gonna go to sleep now :D

nayades
03-31-2003, 05:09 PM
nice ones. keep it going:D

SB, where did you get the first girl image?? :)

Saint Benedetta
04-01-2003, 02:12 AM
I searched Marilyn Monroe using Google Image Search so I don't know where I got that image from. I still have several MM images from last year for an ITM assignment :D

Lucremonkey
04-01-2003, 04:26 AM
I also was very busy yesterday and just saw your volley.
I will work on it today (It's great!)

Saint Benedetta
04-01-2003, 04:34 AM
I just saw in your topic post that any program is allowed.. just wondering, what app do you use? I'm stuck with PS 6 :p

Hehe, looking forward to the volley Lucre :)

Lucremonkey
04-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Well, I'm working in PS 7 for my PS-battles :)
Sorry for not posting a volley, but I've been really busy with all kinds of stuff. I will post one tomorrow after my exams (I will finish this battle, don't worry :))

Lucremonkey
04-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Ok, took me some time (sorry).
Had some problems with my internet
Well, here it is, I have added it the old way (image that's 640x480 and Medium quality and if you click on it you go to the full sized image).
I decided to not use the site I made untill I have completed it (so other people can also upload and stuff) so I will just post themhere :)
Well, I hope you like it and can do something with it.

Lucre

Lucremonkey
04-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Ok, took me some time (sorry).
Had some problems with my internet
Well, here it is, I have added it the old way (image that's 640x480 and Medium quality and if you click on it you go to the full sized image).
I decided to not use the site I made untill I have completed it (so other people can also upload and stuff) so I will just post themhere :)
Well, I hope you like it and can do something with it.

http://members.lycos.nl/lucremonkey/Volley3_Lucremonkey_Low.jpg (http://members.lycos.nl/lucremonkey/Volley3_Lucremonkey.jpg)

Lucre

P.S. sorry for the hard language in the image, but I could only came up with that sentence to fit into the image :D
P.P.S. I've noticed that the viewcount on are battle keeps rising!

Saint Benedetta
04-03-2003, 05:00 AM
Nice!

I have a Geography test tomorrow, so I'll volley either tonight or tomorrow night.. I will have to do something new instead of the usual girl-with-candy-colour theme that I've been doing here ;)

Just wondering, where'd you get those pixel fonts? Been meaning to download them. :smoov:

Lucremonkey
04-03-2003, 05:54 AM
I found it somewhere on the web for free..
It's called... ehm.. though Silkstream (at the university right now, so can't tell for sure) I'll look it up when I'm home. The font is great since it's small, but still readable.

I'm looking forward to your volley :)

Lucre

Saint Benedetta
04-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Dude, you have stumped me on that one ;) Forgive me if my entry is going to be late...

Saint

Lucremonkey
04-05-2003, 03:46 AM
no problem... :)
I will wait

Saint Benedetta
04-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Thanks for waiting :)

You stumped me on that one and I managed to create a return that closely resembles the summer theme (look at file name). Inspired by 'Black House' by Stephen King.

Change of mood and it's not just the colour.

ViRGo_RK
04-08-2003, 06:30 PM
:eek:

Make me up beat, not sick to my stomach!

Eck.

Awsome design, but I cant stomach that content.

Lucremonkey
04-09-2003, 01:28 AM
Sorry for the wait, but I was really busy :(
I will post a volley a.s.a.p.

Lucre

Saint Benedetta
04-12-2003, 03:16 AM
Cool, looking forward to it :) Just a reminder, your return will be the last... sorry about the return, I guess, in the words of whispers, that was a party-pooper.

Lucremonkey
04-13-2003, 11:28 AM
I will post a volley tomorrow, sorry for the wait (been busy, sick and more time consuming things :()