PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : preloader, etc

chance
11-03-2000, 01:01 PM
Hi guys- love KM - I submitted a rather large example awhile back (frog/dragonfly) I want to make short animated stories and my files are soooo large - can anyone tell me what a preloader is, or how to load movies (?) on top of each other, or how to keep files small. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with all the terminology. Also, since I like to add quite a bit of detail Bob suggested that eps might be the way to go. Again forgive me, but what is eps? Any help would be appreciated.

johnie
11-03-2000, 01:21 PM
EPS is Encapsulated Post Script (and I know I butchered the spelling). Basically most vector drawing programs and sign shops use this format and it is native to Illustrator. It has advantages over WMF and EMF becuase it has a true arc where as WMF simulates an arc by broken lines. The disadvantges to WMF and EMF is that they can be smaller for simplier drawings and allows the inclusion of raster graphics inside of it. Flat WMF is also more supported than EPS- the problem is that Kool Moves needs Vector WMF and not Flat WMF with a vector frame.

The simple way to create a preloader is by using the advanced movie settings. You can create a simple preloader that way. The complicated way to create a preloader has a thread of its own and was started by Web Exec- See that thread.

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=45702

johnie
11-03-2000, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by chance
Hi guys- love KM - I submitted a rather large example awhile back (frog/dragonfly) I want to make short animated stories and my files are soooo large - can anyone tell me what a preloader is, or how to load movies (?) on top of each other, or how to keep files small. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with all the terminology. Also, since I like to add quite a bit of detail Bob suggested that eps might be the way to go. Again forgive me, but what is eps? Any help would be appreciated.

Did you change your user name?

Reducing File size:

You can also make smaller files by changing the quality on your JPG and by using a lower sampling rate for your WAV's.

Use Tweens. Draw out your animation and then import the movie clip if you have to- this is a lot more compressed than having a lot of Key Frames.

Outside of that I would say make sure that you optimize your vector graphics. You can do this two ways. 1'st
IN your drawing program- most of them allow optimiztion- the program that Brad found yesterday allows optimization and vectoriztion. 2'nd in Kool Moves- when you import change the point ratio.

Symbols are cheaper than shapes but cannot be fully morphed- Symbols can only be scaled- Rotated- and moved. If you have a non morphing symbol in your animation then convert it to a symbol.

Try not to use a lot of points. The more points and shapes there are the more file size it eats. Try to use simpler shapes in combinations to achieve the effect you are going for.

chance
11-03-2000, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Now I know where to try to cut down on the file size. Thanks again.

I did not change my user name, but I first contacted Bob by email way back in July when I was having problems with 'capturing' in PSP. That was before I found the Forum which I check in on almost every day. Very informative.