PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : How can we monitor site traffic in flash sites?

jaja
11-29-2003, 06:57 AM
I have been trying to find the best and most cost affective way of tracking site traffic and the different parts of the flash site which have been visited. Is there some software to buy? Does anyone have some experience with this and the most popular way forward?
Also, for the search engines, do i only register the index.html page url as this is the only page?
Stu

SJT
11-29-2003, 09:34 AM
I don't know all the details, but I'm guessing the only real way of tracking flash usage is by adding a function that polls a bit of backend script depending on the area the user is in.

It wouldn't be difficult to do in a simple way, for more in depth analysis I wouldn't be surprised if someone has written a component somewhere that does just what you want.

jaja
11-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the reply, i feel like im going mad here. I have searched many search engines, read many sites and cant find anything that has a good explanation of how to do this. There must be a way! Hows your site comming on? i see you have a 'comming soon' message, is it gonna be a flash site?
stu

SJT
11-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Yeah, that coming soon thing has been there for about a year now...:(
One of these days I will finish it, but right now I'm totally snowed under. It will be a flash site though.

For the tracking system, you should probably just write a small function yourself.
If you have a function that takes in the current position or a text description and then submits it to a bit of php which logs it somewhere (a db or just a text file), you can then call that function and pass it a little description where ever you call the function...hope that makes sense.

If you want a more technical description, you're better off asking in the actionscript forum, just explain what your after and someone will point you in the right direction.

aversion
11-29-2003, 11:27 AM
it is pretty easy to write something like this yourself, a function that records clicks, client's IP and time spent in sections. I know nevil (http://www.theory7.com) has got one in his store that i encouraged him to build but it's still coming soon.

I might have a go at building something that provides some visual analysis over christmas, I'm not a geek but I love data mapping :)

dgrigg
12-01-2003, 01:12 PM
We offer our clients a tracking option with sites we do in flash.

We determine with the client different sections within the movie they want tracked for 'hits' and then we put in a call to a cold fusion function (using remoting) from each section that logs the user's ip, the section, the date and a UUID we give the user for each session.

Using a server side script with either remoting or sendAndLoad vars is the only way I have seen it done.

With MX 2004 you could now do something similiar but with a web service connection instead of remoting.