PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Flash Content Management Architecture

scotteggert
02-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Hey There,

I wanted to mention that I have launched the newest version of my Flash Content Management System, at www.eggertonline.com Anyone that is interested in developing real CMS applications with Flash may be interested to check out the video demos I have on the site, which give you an idea of the application architecture.

In the coming months I will be adding a lot of documentation for the system and more videos.

Thanks for your comments -

se

argonauta
02-03-2004, 10:28 AM
looks pretty interesting. I'm in the process of developing a cms for flash too, but it seems i took a different approach

XcVbSdRw
02-03-2004, 10:57 PM
you need to fix your link - remove the period at the end (so more people can visit you!) :)

a couple of usability comments.

- BACK button does not work in your web site (HUGE issue for usability)

- mouse wheel also does not work

would your Flash CMS fix these issues? one of the main reasons my company has not adopted more Flash is that, while it is WONDERFUL for many new tasks, it seems to fall short of even basic HTML when it comes to just basic usability.

as a user of web sites I usually come away from a Flash intensive web site with a headache. of course I guess it depends on the purpose of the web site. for example, probably the worst thing Amazon or Google could do to me would be to convert to pure Flash sites.

I believe you can succeed at this but you may need to work hard to ensure that what you add in Flash's capabilities does not come at the expense of things we already take for granted in plain HTML.

anyway, just my thoughts. I applaud your efforts! :)

scotteggert
02-04-2004, 04:35 AM
Thanks for checking out the site! I will be taking care of the back button very shortly. Version 1 of the CMS took care of the back button properly, I just need to transfer the code over. The mousewheel can also be implemented, so that's not a problem except for getting the time to implement it.

I'll also be getting a lot more content up there so everyone can find out more of the technical aspects of the CMS.

Thanks-

se

scotteggert
02-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Hi --

I've completely changed the interface on the site -- it looks a lot better now. Please check it out again...

red warrior
02-11-2004, 01:24 AM
I tried to visit the link but it is somewhat broken, though i am quite eager to view the site!! Have a good day ahead mate!!!

scotteggert
02-11-2004, 01:42 AM
Hey there -- thanks for trying to hit it. Sorry it doesn't seem to work for you.

I have not heard any other complaints today about accessing the site. Could you please email me offline with what is wrong... Could you not hit the site at all, or did something happen to break it? What platform do you use?

thanks -
se

www.eggertonline.com
scott@eggertonline.com

XcVbSdRw
02-11-2004, 07:53 AM
I mentioned this to you earlier...the link you put in your first message of this thread is broken! go back and edit it and remove the period from the end of the link and it will work fine.

scotteggert
02-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Sorry -- it's fixed now. Thanks.

aversion
02-11-2004, 05:26 PM
interesting, looks like a lot of work went into it.

your system seems to be very comprehensive, almost a site builder rather than a CMS, which I always take to mean updating content in predefined templates or creating new iterations of such rather than building completely new pages.

Looks good though, I hope you have success with it.

One comment which springs to mind is that you might be better off having the video controls at the top of the demo rather than underneath. I'm using 1400x1050 resolution and I didn't notice there were any controls until I scrolled down.

cheers.

scotteggert
02-11-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks for checking it out -- I think I am going to change things up a bit so the videos load into a separate browser window, perhaps with the controls at the top. I made them a few weeks ago, so now there's a lot of new stuff, and I have to re-do them, so perhaps I will do the pop-ups at the same time.

Yeah, it's a site builder right now -- It'll be more of a cms once I get the approval system working and all that.

thanks-
se

misterjueves
03-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Kudos on fixing the back button problem, but E-gads! man, work on the mouse wheel scroll. Nothing annoys me more than finding out the text-intensive I'm visiting hasn't implemented support for the modern revolution in mouse design: the scrollwheel. Oh, and is that an art problem on the page "Scott's Blog?" I see little gaps between the connecting lines like at the top where the title of the post is displayed. Don't mean to sound negative. You've done more than I could do definately and I'm impressed.