PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Use of Flash

MWRoper
02-13-2004, 02:47 PM
I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this and it may not provided feedback in the direction I am looking, given that I would guess that the majority of of people using this site are "graphics/multimedia" types. (Whom I have the highest regard for giving the incredible talent that they have.)

Currently a debate is raging within my circle if Flash is a content development tool or it is a tool for instructional design. The crux of this disagreement is if it is a content development tool than it should only be used by those people who are those trained to use it, read our multi-media development people. This group is presenting strong arguements that those folks who are responsible for Instructional Design don't need to use Flash as they will be not effectively using resources.

On the other side of the house is (people such as myself) who believe that Flash is a valuble tool that would serve us both. Obviously those folks responsible for instructional design do not have the level of skills or talent of a trained graphics artist but they certainly would be able to do simple animations with small amounts of interactivity without having to send work out to another person. Certainly none of us have the abilities to turn out some of the more high-end products and would use the multi-media studio. However, if Flash is not available to us, then we are reduced to passing all the graphics work to our co-workers or producing animations using animated GIFs.

I would appreciate any feedback on my rant here. Also if anyone knows of some papers/research etc, please let me know.

SJT
02-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Well my first though is, why should another department have any say over the tools you need to use?

If they're worried you might 'downgrade' the appeal of Flash by not using it to it's 'full capabilities', then they're bolting the barn door long, long after that horse left...take a look at the internet; a huge amount of terrible Flash work has been produced. That doesn't stop Flash being a great, highly flexible tool and it shouldn't stop you using it if it's the best thing suited to your job.

XcVbSdRw
02-13-2004, 04:08 PM
even though I don't like the "elitist" attitude of many graphic designers, the fact remains that they are often correct when they try to keep design tools out of the hands of non-designers.

IMO, Flash is not a tool that can be effectively utilized by people who have no design skill. Flash does not have nearly enough built-in templates and guidelines to allow a non-designer to be very productive with it.

on the other hand, if what you are producing is for internal use then it may not matter what your output looks like. in that case it might make sense for your use.

bottom line, I mean no disrespect. I am primarily a programmer and every time I sit down to try Flash I end up producing butt-ugly stuff that cannot be given to our clients. on the other hand, with a little help from my designer, I can put the backend code in place to make their beautiful designs really fly!

MWRoper
02-13-2004, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't dispute the fact the fact that a graphic designer could probably do a much better job. But the fact is, that the ISD folks who work for me are fairly talented individuals and have a diverse background of skills. Please keep in mind that we have been producing product with little comments from our customers. As I said before, if it was a high-end highly interactive Flash piece, it wouldn't be something that we would try. I'm talking the simple stuff. Water flowing through a pipe kind of stuff......

I understand your point of view but there appears that there is no commprimise with the other group.

Tsala
02-18-2004, 07:47 AM
Hi,

IMHO Flash is for everyone, not just for graphic designers.

e.g. Creativity in schools using Flash (http://www.tygh.co.uk/flashtalk/index.html)

... the use of Flash in the classroom has been explored by many schools resulting in a host of diverse projects which suit the whole age range from year 3 to sixth form in secondary schools (seven to eighteen year olds). We find that it is highly motivating for all ages because it enables creativity and problem solving within challenging projects.