PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : More cartoon practice

evolbeagle
11-16-2000, 11:35 PM
This has no preloader and no sound, but I thought I'd put it up so you real animators could give a greenhorn some pointers. My goal here was to try to practice some simple motions like walking. I also used different shapes for mouth movements, as opposed to morphing the same shape over and over; I think I like this way better. Obviously, the artwork leaves a lot to be desired. Mostly just an exercise, though, to see if I could make a guy walk. I'm not 100% satisfied with that part yet; I still need some practice.

http://demo.voikos.com/animation/walking2.html

evolbeagle
11-16-2000, 11:49 PM
I forgot, this is also the first time I've used the technique some of you have suggested of changing the number of tween frames between some key frames, like when the bullet leaves the gun. I also discovered the zoom function which I used at the end -- a very cool feature.

BradBradleySL
11-17-2000, 08:49 AM
Cute animation, violent, but cute:)

Pretty good job animating walking, I have had some difficulty animating a walk cycle in KoolMoves, though I have had some success(see one of my test loops on the KoolKit site) Oh, and I wouldn't consider walking a simple test:) It is one of the most complicated things for an animator to learn, next to facial animation that is! Good job, your artwork is showing improvement since the last animation I saw, doing great...

Brad

evolbeagle
11-17-2000, 08:59 AM
Thanks, I will go look at your test loop. I got a couple of books on cartooning, and I practice a little everyday. I have found so far, though, that drawing on paper and drawing in KoolMoves don't always reinforce each other. It's actually easier for me in KM, because it's more like sculpting. I draw a basic shape, then play with it til it looks halfway decent.

Incidentally, in KM, when I want to add a major character or other drawing, I've taken to drawing it in a new movie, then copying the whole thing and pasting it in the movie I want it to appear. I started doing this because, when I just drew it to the movie I was working on, grouping it and moving it around like I wanted sometimes got complicated. Is this a good technique, or is there a better way?

johnie
11-17-2000, 11:23 AM
I tend to use that technique also. That's why I wanted the Load Movie (FUN) interface to look like the text effects. That way I could see what I was putting in.

BradBradleySL
11-17-2000, 02:22 PM
Yeah I use that technique as well, and I know what you mean about drawing directly in KoolMoves, thats how my AMEBA2D productions character was created, though I did do some roughs before hand, I did most of the work(no rotoscoping) in the program. Speaking of the AMEBA site it will be up tonight, no movies up yet, but soon.

I also came up with an interesting way of having background sound.

A quick breakdown of my idea-

1.First I created my sound, and compressed it so it would fit in a KoolMoves .swf file, then I did what Johnie suggested and give the sound .swf(lets name it sounds.swf) a play movie action,(also make sure you have the sound loop or it will only play once, duh!!) exported it.

2.I created two buttons (on/off) have one button be load(the on button) movie to level 1 and have the other button be unload(the off button) movie in level 1.

3.Then I exported my site, and now there is a on sound button and an off sound button. You can get even more creative and have maybe three sets of buttons with three different music loops, and because the sound is seperate from the websites .swf file it won't lag your loading time, you can even have the music playing before your page comes up.

Well thats it, just thought I would do a quick explanation of how to create sound buttons, have fun.

Brad