PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Are you a new designer who wants to make some cash?

DigitalOne
11-16-2000, 11:59 PM
If so, here a few tips.

1.) Look for customers, dont expect them to come looking for you. Go thru the Yellow Pages, look for companies with webpages, if they suck, tell them you can re-do it, and that will increase revenue. If they dont have a site, tell them you'll make them one! They can't refuse, mostly because they know little about web design, and no matter what you charge, they dont know the average, so they will accept (mostly).

2.) Do stuff locally, first. It is a good way of getting work, because these companies are smaller, they have closer relationships.

3.) Make flyers! Put 'em up around the neighborhood, offering your services.

This thread is not meant to be a discussion thread, simply tips for people looking for clients.

If you are a designer, learn before you do. This is THE most important rule! If you don't know Flash, don't go around saying you can do a Juxt site. Its that simple. And, no matter what, Learn! Learn and experiment!

These are just some tips, add more of your own, if you like.

Reid

chewman2k
11-17-2000, 12:14 AM
DigitalOne, true, very true. Tha's why we are all here for, in this community, to learn and share ideas. Very profound, but true.
Catcha l8er
Chewman2k

gparis
11-17-2000, 01:51 AM
ok DigitalOne.. i read your topic. Quite interesting! thanks:) I have a question: let's say i'd be a new designer looking for... how much would be "the average" charge? like... let's say creating the whole site ( we're talking about a week or two of job i guess, including the making of the logo etc...)

shoebox
11-17-2000, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by gparis
ok DigitalOne.. i read your topic. Quite interesting! thanks:) I have a question: let's say i'd be a new designer looking for... how much would be "the average" charge? like... let's say creating the whole site ( we're talking about a week or two of job i guess, including the making of the logo etc...)

Well I'd say you'd start asking at $600-$800. An average site doesn't take two weeks of YOUR time working full time. It may take two weeks because you have to work with the client, but you have to take that into account. So I'd be saying start at that mark, because you are asking a sixth of what most companies would start at. Then after 4 clients hike it to $1200 then after 10 more clients hike it to $1800....

etc. because the mre clients you get, the more experience you gain and then the more legitimate your rate increase.

;)

legacy7
11-19-2000, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by gparis

Hey Gparis,
I dont know how new you are, but I wouldnt short yourself to much.If you can put a really good layout in flash you can make alot of money. My first site I charged $2000. Now my average is $3000-5000 for a standard flash site. Dont think you will get less business ethier.I have more business than I can keep up with.So dont short your self. If you can put together a good design you'll do fine.Good Luck and happy flashing. Heres a link to my first site. He was very happy and Im working on a updated site for him.If the customer is happy they'll always come back.This site only took me 4hours to do.
http://www.nomadicdesigns.com/port/schradersystems.html
its 200k

Aaron Christenson
Nomadic Designs

SSurfer
11-19-2000, 02:30 PM
how much did you charge for that "4 hour" site?

thx

gparis
11-19-2000, 03:05 PM
Ok legacy7, I see what you mean. Like, if you're known doing sites for 600$ people will not want to give you more than that. But... What about a portfolio? I'm new in the way that the only site i did so far was mine! but I can flash and html and javascript (and I do this great apple pie... forget it:))
sooooo. yes, I have this friend who has a little fruit business and he wants a site (I could have a lot of fun with that!) and I think I could later put this in my portfolio. I guess that when you go looking for clients they want to see what you do before they say "Ok! here's 2000$ do whatever you want"... no?

legacy7
11-19-2000, 09:20 PM
Hey gparis,you really dont have to have portfolio to get a web contract if your meeting the person face to face,but on the other hand if your doing business over the net and you never meet the person it is nice to have and very helpful.It can be your own work though.Work is work,if you show you have the skill it will speak for its self.
What I do is ask for half the money up front,also I have made up a legal contract for both partys to sign and then when I finish the contract he will pay the rest and what ever add on he added while working.Works out pretty good for me.Never have any problem with getting ripped off or the customer backing out at the last minute after the work is already done.Ive not had one unhappy customer yet.
Just try to be a good sales man.
If you have a site that you would like me to check I would be happy to check it out.L8R:)

Aaron Christenson
Nomadic Designs

legacy7
11-19-2000, 09:29 PM
SSurfer,
I charge $2000 and he bought me a $1000 brand new '17 Sony flatscreen monitor for the 4hr site.There is always other things that you can offer your service for than money.Later on he was so happy with the site and how fast are service was that he gave me a Altic Lansing suround sound systems.

Aaron Christenson
Nomadic Designs

ketchup
11-19-2000, 11:29 PM
Wow!

web design for business seems like an meeca for moderate amount of cash.

hopefully i'll have a similar story soon :)

SSurfer
11-20-2000, 02:45 PM
wow that sounds really cool . . .

how did ya get that customer?

iliap
11-20-2000, 03:13 PM
wow! here too..
whats up with nomadicdesigns.com?? not really working for me..just curious to see some of your work.
i.

gparis
11-21-2000, 02:20 PM
true... what about nomadicdesign? you got us curious now:) anyway, legacy7, I'd be happy to have any comments on my work of course! this site (http://www.genevieveparis.com) is in french though I don't know if you read french... anyway go there and tell me what you think. It's my first site and it has been more or less like a workshop for me! considering I studied in litterature and my job is more around music!:)
anyway, thanks in advance!
http://www.geocities.com/genevieve_paris/smiley.gif

legacy7
11-22-2000, 12:05 AM
Gparis not bad ,You have some skills. Like the menus.
Good thing I took french in highschool.LIke the layout.Here some suggestions.Stuff that I noticed.ON the preloader maybe ad some alpha to it that way it youll get the cool effect of the cirlce thing.I foget what you call it.Its cool though. Have your site scale up and down. that way for those full screeners and those minimizers.Im A fullscreener I like to look at flash site as a presintation like a movie.The picture on some of the button,there pixelated. Trying unchecking the smoothing on pic properties or you can just creat it in flash which will cut down the size there for faster loading.You can creat almost anything in flash that you can in photoshop.I try to use photoshop as little as possible.Dont get me wrong I love it but not for pages just stills.But something you cant get by with like this on you can check it out if you want
http://www.nomadicdesigns.com/port/navel.html
It pretty large because it was done in photoshop then mad in flash.It is 2mb,but with tv it wont matter anyways.Whne we get it done, were going to offer it to sunkiss oranges for a commercial.That music wont be there though for the commercial.IT just there that way it isnt boaring.
Well since you guys are getting so cerious Ill give you a sneak peek of Nomadic Designs site.
http://www.nomadicdesigns.com/main.swf
There is still alot of kinks were working out and the only link that is working right now is Bio,but youll get a little gist of it.Sorry about the Sound were working on that right now and fixing that.Like I said it still in beta. Any more site checkout send them my way.
All in all I like your site and youll have a good career if you keep at it.

Aaron Christenson
Nomadic Designs

DigitalOne
12-22-2000, 04:23 PM
Thought i'd bring back my most useful thread for you all!

NETbreed
12-22-2000, 04:39 PM
Hey DO!

Dragging threads back from the dead now, eh? :D

I'd also like to add that if you're looking at designing your first site commercially then

a) Do something for yourself first. You don't have to create a whole company but it'd be better to be able to show the [potential] client what you can do.

or

b) Take a risk. Do a little bit of basic design for the client site before you approach them. Get hold of some of their company literature like brochures or leaflets etc and mix the style with some innovation for their site. If you can take something with you they'll likely be impressed.

The second approach is especially good because the client gets to see their site - or at elast an idea for their site. Don't spend hours and hours on this because if the client says no then you've wasted a lot of time. Just do a couple of pages/sections to give them an idea!

Great advice DO!

Regards,

Steve

DigitalOne
12-22-2000, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by NETbreed
Hey DO!

Dragging threads back from the dead now, eh? :D

I'd also like to add that if you're looking at designing your first site commercially then

a) Do something for yourself first. You don't have to create a whole company but it'd be better to be able to show the [potential] client what you can do.

or

b) Take a risk. Do a little bit of basic design for the client site before you approach them. Get hold of some of their company literature like brochures or leaflets etc and mix the style with some innovation for their site. If you can take something with you they'll likely be impressed.

The second approach is especially good because the client gets to see their site - or at elast an idea for their site. Don't spend hours and hours on this because if the client says no then you've wasted a lot of time. Just do a couple of pages/sections to give them an idea!

Great advice DO!

Regards,

Steve

Well said, Steve! Noticed your footer, too, I love it!

DigitalOne
08-21-2001, 08:28 PM
Again, my most helpful thread for people who came here in 2K+1.

Reid.

killabry
08-22-2001, 05:15 AM
great tips even though they are VERY OLD. :)

pdhq64
04-07-2002, 11:17 AM
i found it very useful, no doubt others will, so ill bump it :)

jstarkey
04-07-2002, 11:39 AM
Moved from the CL.

kallok
04-07-2002, 10:15 PM
how did mr.Kallok start webdesigning for other people?Skateboard websites!I made 2 very good sites for myself and attracted a lot of visitors,etc.I got many of them to ask me to make there sites...I charged super reasonable the first 5 or so....simple html with some flash....and now I am working my way up.I have had Flash 5 for a little under 2 years and my new portfolio site made in MX is comming out really soon!Lots of effort into it!Im 16 and I make more than people at school who have jobs!

ziad10
04-08-2002, 02:13 PM
i doubt that's true

teachers are making at least 25,000 a year
is that how much you are making?

don't get fooled,

if you got 10 jobs a year making 3,000 a site
you're only making 30,000 which is not much more then teachers. (and i really doubt you'll get that many jobs year making that much)

the only reason i'm saying this is, is cuz i used to think the same way.

kallok
04-08-2002, 03:42 PM
I ment people at school refering to friends...not teachers lol.I make more designing sites than working anywhere around town.Sorry for any confusion I should have been more spefic :)

Xample
04-08-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by NETbreed

This holds more value than you can imagine. Build something for your prospective client, albeit nothing too intense, and you'll do more than catch their attention. They'll see their own brand online, jazzed up, and if you do it right (and the stars are aligned), they'll realize that they actually want something they didn't even think twice about. This is an ideal situation, but you gotta take risks to make stuff happen. Take the risk! By the way, I did this and it has been off to the races since. There is no real harm in building a basic promotional/demo site. As someone once said to me, "You can stand there holding your balls, or you can grab your balls and run with them." Don't sit around waiting for someone to come to you. Get out there and make something happen! Compliments NETbreed

—xample

DigitalOne
05-31-2002, 11:11 PM
Wow, this thread takes me back... still alive, I see?

serpent star
06-01-2002, 12:26 AM
Yeah... this is a great thread isn't it.