PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : How-to question

evolbeagle
11-17-2000, 08:50 AM
I did a search, but didn't find anything specifically on this. If I want to have a repeating, moving background, what's the best way to do it? You know, like when Fred Flintstone is driving and the same tree and rock keep going by in the background?

One way I came up with is to draw a tree, say, and move it across the screen. Then, outside the screen, move it up, then back across on top (above the screen), then back down into position to go across the screen in view again.

Is there a better way? Like maybe with the load movie feature (which I still haven't ventured to try yet)?

shiel
11-17-2000, 09:00 AM
Try - once the background has moved off the viewable area, the next frame simply move it back to the origonal position the background started at before moving.

Hope that helps.
Shiel.

evolbeagle
11-17-2000, 09:07 AM
I had a problem with that approach. Let's say the tree is off-screen left. I move it across the screen and eventually off-screen right. It looks like Fred has driven past the tree. Now, if I take the tree directly back to its original off-screen left position, it shows up in the movie as moving in the opposite direction. Fred has suddenly slammed on the brakes and is driving backwards. This is why I've found it necessary to take the tree in a path that never crosses the screen to get it back to its first position.

Did this explanation make sense?

shiel
11-17-2000, 10:48 AM
You need to turn the motion tween off on the off-screen right frame. The next frame reposition back to the left and turn it back on. Then a bit of copy/pasteing of these frames along your time line?
Try also turning the movement of the object into a movie clip (watch your frame rates) and place it back into your main flash file?

Hope that helps
Shiel.

Stinqbug
11-17-2000, 10:54 AM
I think if you set the tweens to 0 between the last and first frames it should completey skip over everything in between. It wont make any in beTWEEN frames. (The tween adjust is on the button bar right under the Play button. The default is 6.)

If you use the load movie command, the moving background can be totally independent and could just loop. I think you would have more control with this technique, but it might make the .SWF really big.

johnie
11-17-2000, 11:25 AM
Yeah set the tweens to 0 when you move it left or delete it. Otherwise you'll get a background that swagers left and right.

evolbeagle
11-17-2000, 11:39 AM
See, I don't know squat about KoolMoves. Okay, I'll try the no tween approach.

So adding a load movie that would loop really increases the swf size? I would've guessed that, all things being equal, using a load movie for a looping background would have resulted in a smaller overall file. So my thinking is backwards?

johnie
11-17-2000, 12:02 PM
No, they are wrong. Adding a load movie action will not increase the SWF size exactly. It will increase load time though becuase you are loading 2 SWF's instead of 1.

You need to remeber this- Kool Moves makes all of the move paths linear. So if shape A is at the far right and then moves to the far left then it will create tweens of it moveing to the left. You can get around this by having No Tweens.

Another thing you can do is animate a background then import the Fun File with the Load Movie (FUN)-its under File- this should be renamed to import movie or something to aviod confusion with the Load Movie Action. You can control the placement and speed of your background that way just as you could a text effect.