PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Tutorials

djoy
11-23-2000, 02:43 PM
Are there any Tutorials available? Besides the koolmoves site?

Thanks!
DJoy

BradBradleySL
11-23-2000, 03:08 PM
Try the KoolKit site-

http://www14.brinkster.com/koolkit

Brad

djoy
11-23-2000, 05:35 PM
I have, but for some reason (and I don't know why) the links don't function well. Sometimes, as with some of the Swish movies, it will lock up my PC(?) I will try again though.

Thanks!
DJoy

BradBradleySL
11-23-2000, 11:39 PM
Lock-up? In what way, never had that prob. What browser are you using?

Brad

djoy
11-23-2000, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by BradBradleySL
Lock-up? In what way, never had that prob. What browser are you using?

Brad

IE 5.01 is what I'm using. The pages/links will just stop loading or responding. I have to sometimes disconnect because of the freeze. This doesn't happen with all, just some and I really don't know why.

DJoy

chance
11-24-2000, 12:01 PM
Hi guys - I've been wanting to write this for some time, but didn't want to appear ungrateful...However... Regarding tutorials ... when one buys a new product there is usually included a complete tutorial covering EVERY aspect of that particular program. I think that it should be kept in mind that a lot of your new (and potential) users are REALLY new to animating for the web, and that a lot of us are artists just entering this area and are not familiar with the terms used (such as preloading, loading one movie on top of another, and all those neat 'flash/swish' terms. I personally have no problem with creating an animation, but from there on in, I am lost.

Maybe a 'glossary' that explains in detail what these terms mean and/or a step-by-step illustration for those steps needed to prepare these animations for the web would help us out..

Here again I must emphasize, I love this program and feel this forum tries its very best to solve problems (and we all know how hard Bob has been working to expand and add all of our 'wishes').

Just a thought ...sorry for the wordy input.

johnie
11-24-2000, 03:16 PM
If everyone wrote just one tutorial then we could get this done right away. I will probably write some basic tutorials today. It would however take me a long time to write about every aspect of the program. That was one of the reasons why we developed the Kool Move Tut Developement Kit (Available from the Kool Kit site). We wanted other users to get actively involved in writting tutorials.

BradBradleySL
11-24-2000, 10:27 PM
sigh:(

Brad

chance
11-25-2000, 08:20 PM
Hi Johnnie - visited KoolKit - Have you 'exported to the web' the Export to Web Tutorial? (hee hee) I have tried to access this and couldn't. I was able to view the other ones, but not this one.

An idea ..but I don't know if its kool.....maybe if you used the format from another program like maybe Flash as a guide and use the parts that pertain to what is available and can be done in KoolMoves. Just an idea. I downloaded the make-a-tutorial file, but for the moment, I don't think I can be of much help at this stage. As soon as I have something to offer in that respect, I'll send it on up.

Brad - I know you guys are overwhelmed and (overworked) but you have a good thing here, so please don't let us get you down.

djoy
11-25-2000, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by BradBradleySL
sigh:(

Brad

Don't be discouraged. I really don't think that the responsibility (although very thoughtful) should be at a few individuals feet, who had nothing to do with the software development. The designer/programmer(s) of the program/software could have added tutorial's for those (like myself) who are unfamiliar with this software and need extra help, before rolling it out. It could be very useful.

Of coarse, this is my opinion and constructive criticism, which should not be interpreted as being critical of the software itself :)

DJoy

BradBradleySL
11-26-2000, 12:36 AM
Thanks-

I was hoping to spread out the work load, because I have a lot of projects in progress, but I want to keep the site updated, I still have a lot to put up, I just don't have the time.

>Hi Johnnie - visited KoolKit - Have you 'exported to the web' the Export to Web Tutorial? (hee hee) I have tried to access this and couldn't. I was able to view the other ones, but not this one.

I didn't realize that link wasn't working, will fix it tommorrow, sorry.
And hopefully have more stuff up, and fix a few things.

Brad

johnie
11-26-2000, 01:40 AM
Most of my tuts are double and triple published. 90% of the alt links to them can be found in this forum.

Djoy- the help files that come with Kool Moves is more than what comes with most shareware. Morph Ink- a compareable product to the very early versions of Koolmoves has less documentation than what comes with Kool Moves. Some things like exporting to the web and advanced animation techniques are typically handled in books. Look at Flash, how many books are written on Flash 5? Live Motion is the same way. Adobe just hired writers to produce advanced Tutorials and posted them on their website. One of the things I have suggested is a book on how to use the program. I asked about this and I agree with the answer I recieved. I was told that a book would not be feasible until a couple of more planned features are implemented.

Also keep in mind how fast the program has developed. Version 1.3X was realesed in July and was barely functional compared to the version we have now. It could only animate short sequences and use BMP as fills for shapes. I don't even think you could have buttons back then.

I agree that more tuts need to be written. I don't necesarily think that the responsibilty for that rests on the shoulders of the program developers.

Richard W
11-29-2000, 08:13 PM
Johnie and Brad - I have been checking all the tutorials to see if they are working. And I too was unable to open "Exporting to the Web" under "Web Help Tutorials" on KoolKit. By the way, I don't know how to express how greatfull I am for all your tutorials and for the whole KoolKit site. You guys really warm my heart with style.

BradBradleySL
11-30-2000, 12:12 AM
Sorry about that link-
I think I was supposed to fix that-yesterday or so.....will have it fixed by tommorrow night, and I have two more tutorials I will be adding, maybe more, depending if I can find everything and get rid of some glitches.

Brad

Bob Hartzell
12-08-2000, 04:37 PM
Harriet who handled emails while I was away is an English major and taught herself advanced Photoshop features from Adobe tutorials. She has some ideas about how to structure KoolMoves help. I will talk to Richard about such a project.