PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Putting together an Information Kiosk (planning help)

mindfriction
10-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Hi,

I wasnt sure where to post this thread as its more of a general question but im using FMX 2004, im new to 2004, but ive been using MX for a while. Anyway Im in charge of putting together an Information Kiosk for a University project and Im unsure on the architecture. of the Kiosk app. In particular, whether i should be using Scenes (as I know they are frowned upon) with simple 'goto' scripting or container clips.

Essentially the content for the Kiosk has been divided up into 3 main areas; Facilities, Events, Activities and within these areas there are sub-areas and so on. For example: The breadcrumb for the facilities area looks something like this Home > Facilities > Aquatics > Diving Pool. In this instance the breadcrumb indicates the typical steps taken by a user navigating through the Kiosk app to find information on the Diving Pool.

My question to you, if i may, is whether i should divide each of these sections into seperate Scene's and mainly used timeline based scripting i.e.

facilities.onPress = function(){
gotoAndPlay("facilities", 1);
}

Or I just keep loading different MovieClips into a container clip i.e.

facilities.onPress = function(){
_root.content.unloadMovie();
_root.content.loadMovie("facilities.swf");
}

The reason why i ask is because Im low on time (+im not getting paid) , and I will be using Server-Side script to load some dynamic data (mainly text) and im trying to make the whole app as compact as possible...

Any advice GREATLY appreciated

signed.. stressed out uni student

sidewalkbullies
11-01-2004, 07:46 AM
uh,

you will use serversidescripting so make the whole thing dynamic.

make a gui and then just a clipholder where the content is loaded.

then use the MovieClipLoader() object to make an automated script that will empty the loader, pass variables to php, preloads and places the new content

pretty basic stuff

mindfriction
11-03-2004, 01:58 AM
Hmm what do you think about using Screens?

sidewalkbullies
11-03-2004, 09:10 AM
what u mean screens?

mindfriction
11-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Havent you heard of FMX 2004 Pro's Screens?

The look pretty nifty..