PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Competition: Application UI

sita4ram
11-06-2004, 06:19 AM
I work at a software company developing applications, the only problem is that our main application was designed terribly and we have decided to give it a try and improve the way it looks.
I have tried doing it mself but I kinda suck at these things.
I'm posting a small screenshot for you to try - the chosen one will get paid for improving the nearly 60 icons we use there. I don't know yet how much it will be since I'm not the decision maker.but I can guarantee we will reach a reasonable agreement.

What we would like is to get a more XP-like look to the application. right now the icons look like crap IMHO.

it needs to stay simple since the icons are small, but pleasant to the eye.

I have changed some of the icons to make them more understood, but in case you dont understand what they mean here is a list of icons from the image:

new, open, save, [dont know what this is], graphs, print, edit, record, stop recording, show list, play, stop playing
Bottom ones have a script underneath. and need to be changed too (sleep etc)

please feel free to give it a try. and remember there are about 50 icons like that.

Niva

sita4ram
11-08-2004, 04:51 AM
Here is what I had in mind. remember Im not a graphic designer so my abilities are limited.

desilva_k
11-08-2004, 05:54 AM
change the dull brown to the windows xp brown and you are good to go...

may i ask which program you are using to make that? as that doesnt look like flash...

in the unlikely event that it is flash, scratch the whole thing and use colourful animated buttons that make sounds and stuff...

sita4ram
11-08-2004, 08:16 AM
I used Photoshop. not flash. though flash is great too... but somehow there are more tutorials of "creating a 3D shiny button" in photoshop. I usually combine them.

I just figured out that since this is UI forum, there might be people with greater knoledge that would accept the challange. Im not a graphic designer, just an amateur. there are probably icons I wont know how to design.

SJT
11-08-2004, 09:37 AM
A couple of points:

First off, this is a UI forum, but it's probably a bit specific to Flash Applications, you might find you get a better response on a graphic design site or a win32 developers site.

Secondly, I should say that Flashkit in no way endorses or has any control over competitions posted here.
This is really warning to both competitors and the competition poster; make sure you know what you're getting out of the proposal.

We've had some nasty problems in the past with either half of the bargain not being fulfilled, so I have to make it clear now that there is nothing Flashkit can do if any problems arise.

SJT
11-09-2004, 07:46 PM
sita4ram:
After a bit of consultation with john starkey and the legal dept, I've been told we can't host any competitions.
If you want to continue promoting this, then post a link to details on your site, rather than putting them directly up here.

Thanks.