PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : QuickTime Movie Export--Problems with audio files

pmosinsk
07-01-2000, 05:57 AM
Hi,

I've been working on a Flash movie to export as a QuickTime movie. For some reason, I get no sound when I export the Flash movie with the Export settings of my audio files set to MP3 compression (in the library, not in the QT Publish dialog tab). The movie seems to work correctly when I use ADPCM compression. I have not yet tried RAW format.

Anyone out there have a similar problem? What am I doing wrong? BTW, I'm running a Dell Win98 machine.

Thanks.

Pope de Flash
07-01-2000, 07:57 PM
Does QT player support mp3? I dont know, I do know if you make the file as all inclusive that the sound file is lost. I dont have a clue other than that. Regards, Bill

I thought I knew, I was wrong. see bottom of thread for the right answer to this question.
[Edited by Pope de Flash on 07-05-2000 at 10:43 PM]

pmosinsk
07-05-2000, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Pope de Flash
Does QT player support mp3? I dont know, I do know if you make the file as all inclusive that the sound file is lost. I dont have a clue other than that.

yes, i believe QT does support MP3 format (I can open them from my HD). when you say "make the file all inclusive", do you mean have the Flatten option selected on export?

Pope de Flash
07-05-2000, 05:51 PM
Yes I read some where that the sound is lost if the file is flattend. Regards, Bill

pmosinsk
07-05-2000, 07:29 PM
hi bill,

i'm not sure about that last statement, because i am able to sucessfully create flattened QT movies with audio. i know there is another issue, however, according to the Flash 4 Bible (p. 408), with exporting and selecting the Play Every Frame option; it says that if this is selected, "the QT audio track is silenced."

I think this in itself needs to be clarified, because the author is referring to the QT audio track which was present within the imported QT movie being used in the Flash timeline, and NOT the Flash audio track being exported. I have tested this out and found it to be true. If you have Play Every Frame turned off, when you export your Flash movie into Quicktime (flattened or not), you will not only create a separate audio track for the audio you've imported in Flash, but the audio that was in the original Quicktime movie will be kept, and will continue to play simultaneously with the Flash audio. If Play Every Frame is checked ON, only the Flash audio track will be heard, and the original QT audio track will be silenced.

any other thoughts? i'd be happy to provide you with sample .fla's if you want to try it out for yourself.

regards,
peter

pmosinsk
07-05-2000, 07:48 PM
Hey Bill,

This is the reply I got from Bentley Wolfe, Senior Support Engineer at Macromedia:

"The root of the problem is the fact that Flash's export to Quicktime is a Quicktime movie with a Flash 3 formatted SWF. So the Flash 3 SWF export doesn't understand the mp3 audio compression."

ah-ha! question answered: use ADPCM sound type only when exporting audio to Quicktime from Flash 4.

peter

Pope de Flash
07-05-2000, 10:42 PM
You were right on the "Play every frame" thing, man you read so much stuff and it gets a little confusing at times. Thats my bust sorry about the bad information. I hate when I do that. Kudo's for getting the right stuff from the source. If I can help in any other way, let me know, and I will do my best to give the RIGHT (he he he) answsers. Regards, Bill

tridactyl
07-12-2000, 04:43 PM
I exported some Flash content with audio to Quicktime VR format and can't get any sound to come up. Does anyone know if this is a limitation of the VR format

Thanks,