PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Anybody Here Still Use Film?

channel367
08-08-2005, 06:55 PM
I do but only because my cameras are Medium Format. For some reason I'm always happier with the way my film shots come out in the end. Maybe cause I'm not incessantly looking at the little LCD screen???

aversion
08-08-2005, 07:18 PM
I use medium format a lot, usually with provia. I'm comfortable with both mediums, there are advantages to both and film definitely gives you more of a 'buzz' when you get the results. I would use MF a lot more if I had a negative scanner so i could add the shots to my blog.

EVPohovich
08-08-2005, 07:18 PM
I don't, but there are a few here who do still use film.

If you think the LCD is hampering your photography then get a camera with a viewfinder and turn the LCD screen off. If you are serious about your photos I would have to suggest a SLR.

aversion
08-08-2005, 07:21 PM
If you want to be a sports photographer or a journalist get an SLR, if you want to take serious portraits, landscapes, etc go for medium or larger formats. Digital still can't compete at the top end of those fields.

ctranter
08-17-2005, 03:39 AM
Its weird. Print is like a novelty to me, as I've only recently purchased a film camera, every other camera has been digital.

BlackCow237
08-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Ive noticed that digital camras take to long to take a picture and you end up missing the shot but with film its instant. Im not that much into photography tho, i have a digital camra.

carly1979
08-17-2005, 08:16 AM
some cameras are better than others when it comes to that. newer ones seem to be better.

admedia
08-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Ive noticed that digital camras take to long to take a picture and you end up missing the shot but with film its instant. Im not that much into photography tho, i have a digital camra.

Good point. That has always been a major peeve of mine with most point-and-shoot digitals. My d70 is as fast as I am though. I think with middle to lower end cameras though film will always win though.

BlackCow237
08-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Yeah digital camras are getting better. Im on my second camra and its way way faster then my old one.

nordberg
08-17-2005, 10:29 AM
i still have a half-exposed roll in my pentax k-1000 from about 4 years ago...should be interesting if it comes out. i really want a medium format camera to play with. i recently read a bunch of stuff about skateboarding photography - shocked to learn that most, if not all, of the seasoned pros use MF exclusively. i thought for sure they would be digital like the other sports guys.

admedia
08-17-2005, 10:33 AM
i really want a medium format camera to play with. i recently read a bunch of stuff about skateboarding photography - shocked to learn that most, if not all, of the seasoned pros use MF exclusively.

Yea, if you find a medium format affordable enough to play with let me know, I want one too. Probably something used, maybe ebay or something.

I started on manual film cameras. At first I loved the autofocus but now I am using manual focus more often actually.

Dricciotti
08-17-2005, 03:23 PM
I have an old Kodak digital camera (3 or 4 years) and havent been too happy with the quality of my shots (even though its 4 megapixels) compared to film cameras ive seen and some of the photos Ive been seeing in this forum. Do you guys think that is just because im using an old digital camera? Should I upgrade?

nordberg
08-17-2005, 03:54 PM
I have an old Kodak digital camera (3 or 4 years) and havent been too happy with the quality of my shots (even though its 4 megapixels) compared to film cameras ive seen and some of the photos Ive been seeing in this forum. Do you guys think that is just because im using an old digital camera? Should I upgrade?if it's a small camera (physical size), then it may be trying to squeeze to many megapixels onto a tiny sensor. this can lead to a bad signal/noise ratio and overall poor image quality. you can try to reduce the pixel size of your camera if it has that option - then compare the results. but your best bet would be to save up for a digital SLR.