PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : cropping

mrkvavle
08-18-2005, 04:24 AM
recently ive been visiting a lot of photography forums and on one i notice a trend. people seem to be cropping the majority of the photos they take. im just wondering if that is a good practice.
what do you guys think?

ctranter
08-18-2005, 05:46 AM
I prefer not to, but If the image needs cropping, then do it.

admedia
08-18-2005, 06:47 AM
I don't think it's a bad thing to crop a photo, but the idea is to capture the exact composition you want in camera.

Then again when taking a nice scene it's easy to crop out interesting details and use them, especially for the web, in layouts etc.. for other purposes other than just a photo.

EVPohovich
08-18-2005, 11:53 AM
>BUZZER!<

If you find yourself cropping a lot of photos you are not getting close enough to your subject. It is just that simple, as a general rule.

Not that I am against cropping photos, mind you. That shot you barely got of the car going by at 150 MPH because you were talking to you buddy, crop it and make it look better. I just don't think it should be overdone. IMHO

aversion
08-18-2005, 12:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with cropping whatsoever. People who say that cropping is a result of bad photography are full of it.

There is absolutely no reason why the composition you desire should match the relative dimensions of your viewfinder, why on earth would you restrict yourself to only creating compositions in that way?

The composition should be in your mind's eye, not in the viewfinder. If that means having to crop to cut dead space out of your desired image then don't let people tell you it's wrong.

NJP3
08-18-2005, 12:04 PM
There is absolutely no reason why the composition you desire should match the relative dimensions of your viewfinder, why on earth would you restrict yourself to only creating compositions in that way?

couldnt agree more