PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : have image, will optimize

rinser
10-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Hi
just wondering how people generally optimize their images before committin them to a website design.
i have some original images and am in the process of optimizing them in Phtotoshop before putting them in the Flash doc. still not sure how to make a happy medium of quality with file size though. im thinking around 100k, but then on some sites i see big, high res. shots downloading very quickly indeed.

admedia
10-06-2005, 12:02 AM
I would say 100K is a good size for a large high-res shot. What pixel size are you needing? Usually jpeg save for web.. can give you plenty of compression for large images. Usually I max the quality setting out at around 60.

I like to put loaders on anything bigger.

ctranter
10-06-2005, 03:35 AM
I find mine range from about 100-200K depending on the complexity of the image. I use the save as jpg facility - quality set to 9 or 10. As the save as for web option seems to strip EXIF data.

rinser
10-06-2005, 01:43 PM
okay.... i have been using the Save for Web action, but i think i did hear someone else having doubts about using it too. just use the save as jpeg then huh.

admedia
10-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Well if you are using the images in Flash as you suggested, the EXIF data seems pretty meaningly anyways...

I would use Save for web prior to importing into a Flash doc.

Of course assuming your rename and always keep a saved copy of the original.

gkbdave
10-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Rinser,
This may not be the correct way but works..What I do is make sure I have my settings in the image size to 72ppi(for viewing on a computer). Then crop to desired size. Once that is done, I then save as.. Select .jpg and make my adjust ment there. Save as Web works as well but found that when imported into Flash it gets distorted.

Once imported into Flash, select the image in the library(right click onit) select properties, then uncheck the use imported jpg data. press the test button to see what it looks like.. select update and you should see a difference on the bottom of what the file size will be.

That usually works.. I could be totally wrong but works for me..

hope this helps

rinser
10-06-2005, 04:34 PM
thanks gkbdave, i will see to that later. at the moment i am gathering some pics i need ..... i just found www.photocase.com and there are quite a good few to choose from there.

Bobalouy
10-10-2005, 11:14 AM
I would also use 'save for web' for flash, 'save as' keeps all the exif info and other data that you do not need, so you can save out at a higher quality and get the same file size.

gkbdave
10-10-2005, 11:19 AM
bobalouy,
I have used the save for web too but always get blocky when I import into flash.. I save it as a higher quality when i do that but it alwasy seems to look bad.. that is why I do it that way.. maybe you could explain what could be wrong or the processs that you use..

thanks

rinser
10-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Hi again :
i followed the words of gkbdave :
in Photoshop ...
saved "as"
checked the 72ppi (didnt know that one)
saved at the "baseline standard"
saved at the max. quality. (137k)
the image looks really choppy and is totally unacceptable !!
the original dimensions of this were was 2272x1074 and had a res. of 936k.
aafter my adjustments this stood at
540x304 and at around 140k.
i have used little photos for web before and didnt have too much trouble. now i do have trouble !
you can see how the pic looks on the link below
any advice ? am i missing something perhaps ? dont want to lose the chance of u sing some great pics on this site of mine.
http://www.changthai.org/test

tonytryout
10-11-2005, 02:18 PM
was the quality alright before you imported it to flash? Have not used flash for a while but if I remember correctly there is something in the Library where image graphic symbol is and you should see some kind of settings for quality configuration.

rinser
10-11-2005, 02:38 PM
yes, is that where you right click on the image in the library and go to Properties (this is what gkdave was saying right ?
having checked the image this way, i see that i have 32 bits per pixel, and when i deselect the Use Imported Jpeg Data box, i see that am using Quality of 100 (max).

and still the image looks choppy.
maybe, should i import to Flash the image in its origianal dimensions and res ? then adjust in Flash ?
i have some lovely photos and it would be a shame not to use them....cant use them the way things look right now !
-dj

robbmcaulay
10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
If you have already optimised the image in Photoshop by saving out to a JPEG, change the image properties in Flash to Lossless.

By setting it to JPEG again you're just compressing the JPEG further.

Also, after a quick look at the site you posted I suggest you don't set the .swf to 100% x 100% in your HTML. And don't rely on Flash for resizing images, always do sizing in Photoshop.

rinser
10-11-2005, 04:02 PM
yeah i did that....but on this size of pic (580x150) i just cant escape the blocky effect. the only way i can figure it is to scale down the size of the photo. shame, but i have to compromise it.
thanks anyways.

rinser
10-11-2005, 04:58 PM
i tried to color in the photo to mask it, but it still looks bad

tonytryout
10-11-2005, 05:16 PM
rinser, can you post a JPG version of the image so we can see the difference...

tonytryout
10-11-2005, 05:19 PM
actually, let's do two versions -- one unmodified and one saved after photoshop.

rinser
10-11-2005, 06:02 PM
okay, will do in 95 minutes (got a guest now)
-thanks.

tonytryout
10-11-2005, 07:23 PM
no rush -- am off to bed, got a meeting in the morning but will check afterwards. :)

rinser
10-11-2005, 08:24 PM
hi.
here i have attached a copy of the original image. i had to reduce the dimensions so as to enable the attachment here.
The original dimensions of this image were 2272 x 1704.

It seems no matter if i modify the image or not, when it comes to using them with Flash....well, you can see again on this link what happens :

is there a technique in PS that i might use that could hide the low quality ? i am going to have a try tonight...thought maybe i could add an effect or something.
thanks
-dj

gkbdave
10-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Rinser,
I am not sure if this was addressed but make sure that in Photoshop that you uncheck progressvie in the save settings.. Flash doesn't like it..

I hope I haven't given you wrong information.. But this has worked for me.. I maybe doing it wrong and didnt know it..

admedia
10-11-2005, 10:13 PM
hi.
here i have attached a copy of the original image. i had to reduce the dimensions so as to enable the attachment here.
The original dimensions of this image were 2272 x 1704.
The optimized image looks fine, nearly identicle.

It seems no matter if i modify the image or not, when it comes to using them with Flash....well, you can see again on this link what happens
I don't get what you are going for here. The image fades to a reddish color. Is that done tweening the advanced settings on the image? If so, then yea you are going to degrade the image there.

rinser
10-11-2005, 10:38 PM
after going through the routine a million times with settings in PS and Flash, i seem to have reached a good place where i am happy.
im still not sure what it was i was missing though :
im using .mcs within .mcs within .mcs....dont know if somewhere along the way Flash takes over.
anyway, im happy that that's taken care of and thanks to all you lot for putting a word in.
i have saved the final (final!) image at around 50K, i heard 100k was better, but i think in this site i will have at least 6 seperate "pages" and therefore images so want to keep the ks down as much as i can.

tonytryout
10-12-2005, 05:05 AM
as admedia says, the optimised image looks good. The issue must have occurred during the import process, or the image itself is resized within Flash.

Anyhow, please to hear that you got it sorted. :)

rinser
10-12-2005, 07:00 AM
yeah tonytryout im almost certain it was this now : i was saving in PS at a smaller dimension, then Flash was enlarging it to fit into an .mc i was using.
i migh tbe wrong about Flash forcing dimensions like this, but anyway, i learned that its a good idea to save in PS at the dimensions you will need - maybe not when reducing the size, but cetainly when enlarging it.