PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Need A Website built for FREE

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Alright First of thanks for considering reading this. I'm the drummer in this band called crosseyed our first demo has just been recorded and we are working on getting a label. We do alot of gigs, so it would be very helpful if someone could get together and build a Super Sweet Flash Website For FREE. Im the drummer and if you help us out then you will get full credit and links and also if it good enough that when we start selling cds and really get popular you can make and update or websites for pay. We are under the group Type Nine who is our brother group no joke here check out there site at www.typenineonline.com . so all i need is the site and some instructions on how to update it. so if your willing and kindhearted (and have nothing else to do) please consider this. well alright and thanks for reading.

Tabari
CrossEyed.

Markp.com
11-17-2005, 09:21 PM
Moved to freelance.

Read the forum descriptions before posting in future.

Thanks.

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 09:25 PM
yes my bad a read it right after i posted sorry about that i was in a rush

rafiki55
11-17-2005, 10:07 PM
where are you located? does it have to be made in flash? What kind of design are you looking for? Any sites that you like? What kind of music do you play? Do you need hosting as well? Do you have any money to work with?

Here is my view on doing a site for free (not trying to discourage or encourage..just something to think about):

As a quasi-designer , there is VERY little benefit doing a free site for a band or anything other entity than a highly developed business when the only compensation is a link giving credit and potential for other work. If you're not local, the chances are VERY slim that any other decent paying jobs will result from any viewers of your band. Promises for more work are a dime a dozen on the Internet.

What about gaining experience? It's very unlikely that very much experience will be gained for the designer. Sure the designer might get some technical and a little with building sites, but because it is a free site, the nature of the transaction is much different from one where it is paid. The expectations are much less and much less formal for free jobs..not matter how hard you try to make it professional. It just isn't the same experience as a real paid job.

Commitment wise, (I've seen this happen many times) a designer puts in a good amount of time only for the receiver of the site to say they don't want it or they want something else or they change thier mind. This is because the receiver has nothing to lose, or very little if they back out.

This is why I asked if you had any money to work with. Even $100 shows your commitment to the project and shows you really want/need a website and not just you want a website because it's cool. On top of that hosting and domain names aren't free ;)

With all that said, I might be interested in helping out...it just depends on all the questions I asked above :)

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 10:23 PM
well thanks for replying.

im located in alabama
i would like it to be in flash or a nice flash intro
the design would probably be a grunge or vintage look
i dont know what you mean about sites that i like but im guessing a example site i'll find one
The kind of music that we play is crossover Religous/Punk/Rock style
i have hosting
and thats taking alot of money out of the things to pay you with so thats why it has to be free.
I understand that there isn't much in it for you right now but when we get or record deal we will need someone to keep our site up and running.
Also on the paying thing im a 15 yr old i do have a job but i only work on the weekends and what i get paid goes straight into the band for equipment and things like new cymbals and drum heads.

And the commitment problem can be thrown out the window im a very respectful kid and there is NO WAY i will let u or anybody else waste there time on something this big. I do a little photoshop and i would be pretty pissed if someone asked me to do something and then just throws it out the window

So its just like a little charity for the designer nothing very big iv'e looked at tons of the paying flash templates and there awsome but there to good for the band RIGHT now. we just want something in the middle that can reach out to our locals and other record labes and its all just a way to give us a head start in our band

This job isnt really a job its more like a favor lol. But im totally serious in asking for somehelp in this website

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 10:25 PM
is something like this very hard to design just wondering its not an example site

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 10:27 PM
is something like this very hard to design just wondering its not an example site http://www.infusion.co.nz/foil/

xavier101
11-17-2005, 10:36 PM
I want FREE grocerys !!!!

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 10:41 PM
lol go work at Publix they give u a nice discount

rafiki55
11-17-2005, 10:41 PM
I would put that under the medium difficulty ...maybe even hard difficulty. There seems to be quite a bit of action script in there which always complicates things.

Also it doesn't work in Firefox. :(

As you're just starting out, I suggest you go for functionality instead of "coolness/prettiness" factor. It's more important that you get use out of your website (i.e. photos, mp3 downloads, event dats, etc) than being a site that uses the newest technology and the most innovative scripts.

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 10:44 PM
so does this mean we should forget flash and just make a freewebs site

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 10:47 PM
why does it cost soooooo much for a nice flash based website? its so gay even though it takes alot of work i just dont see why a template can be worth 200 dollars

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 10:52 PM
wat about this one is this one hard to make?

http://www.hypertemplates.com/templates/9566.html

darkstar
11-17-2005, 10:54 PM
i'll build you a site if you want one :)

email me at:

tegriffin (at) gmail.com

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 10:55 PM
this is what i would want the site to look like once we get our record label and start mass producing cds

http://www.hypertemplates.com/templates/9579.html

but with a different feel like instead of the stero(sp) have a drummset or something like that

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 10:57 PM
i'll build you a site if you want one :)

email me at:

tegriffin (at) gmail.com
ok but not right now i have to see what rafiki55 is going to do because he was here first

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 11:02 PM
I would put that under the medium difficulty ...maybe even hard difficulty. There seems to be quite a bit of action script in there which always complicates things.

Also it doesn't work in Firefox. :(

As you're just starting out, I suggest you go for functionality instead of "coolness/prettiness" factor. It's more important that you get use out of your website (i.e. photos, mp3 downloads, event dats, etc) than being a site that uses the newest technology and the most innovative scripts.
your right but were not just starting off we have over 21 songs for our first cd and we've done over 20 gigs just in montgomery

rafiki55
11-17-2005, 11:09 PM
so does this mean we should forget flash and just make a freewebs site

not necessarily...it means you should concentrate on what you want to get out of your website and not so much on the technologies that you use; that will come once you figure out what you want. Don't use Flash for the heck of using Flash.

i.e. Instead of saying you want to go to the mall in a car to buy a cd, you say "I want to use an airplane....I don't really know why, I heard that airplanes help people travel, and I see other people using airplanes to travel, so I want to use an airplane. I'll use it to go places like the mall"

An airplane isn't necessarily better, it's just "cooler". On the other hand, if you establish that you need to go across country, then yes, a plane is a good choice.

You have to have clear goals and know what you need/want. Then consult someone knowledgeable about what technologies to use and how to use them.

And if you think $200 is a lot of money, in the real world, it's pocket change for something as valuable as a website. That said, a website is much more than a template.

What I suggest...
-Figure out what you want / need
-Find people where you can chat about how to achieve what you want (this board is a good start)
-Balance cost vs benefit (of course if you want everything free, it's a little bit tricker)
-Develop.

-------------
For example, if you want your band pictures posted, there are a lot of great free services like flickr
If you want a music player on your site to play your mp3s, there are great flash ones out there

You don't necessarily need a full blown flash site to achieve your goals. I suggest to start out small (which is more easily achieveable for free), then build from there.

rafiki55
11-17-2005, 11:12 PM
ok but not right now i have to see what rafiki55 is going to do because he was here first

I don't think I can provide you with a site you're currently looking for (flash etc), so contact him and get that site you initially described.

Just keep in mind what I've been saying....basically, there's more to a site than just designing the asthetics of it. If you truely want to benefit from a website take into consideration what I've said.

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 11:14 PM
not necessarily...it means you should concentrate on what you want to get out of your website and not so much on the technologies that you use; that will come once you figure out what you want. Don't use Flash for the heck of using Flash.

i.e. Instead of saying you want to go to the mall in a car to buy a cd, you say "I want to use an airplane....I don't really know why, I heard that airplanes help people travel, and I see other people using airplanes to travel, so I want to use an airplane. I'll use it to go places like the mall"

An airplane isn't necessarily better, it's just "cooler". On the other hand, if you establish that you need to go across country, then yes, a plane is a good choice.

You have to have clear goals and know what you need/want. Then consult someone knowledgeable about what technologies to use and how to use them.

And if you think $200 is a lot of money, in the real world, it's pocket change for something as valuable as a website. That said, a website is much more than a template.

What I suggest...
-Figure out what you want / need
-Find people where you can chat about how to achieve what you want (this board is a good start)
-Balance cost vs benefit (of course if you want everything free, it's a little bit tricker)
-Develop.

-------------
For example, if you want your band pictures posted, there are a lot of great free services like flickr
If you want a music player on your site to play your mp3s, there are great flash ones out there

You don't necessarily need a full blown flash site to achieve your goals. I suggest to start out small (which is more easily achieveable for free), then build from there.
ok i understand im over analyzing what is really needed myspace music which is what we are still in the process of setting up is very good i think

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't think I can provide you with a site you're currently looking for (flash etc), so contact him and get that site you initially described.

Just keep in mind what I've been saying....basically, there's more to a site than just designing the asthetics of it. If you truely want to benefit from a website take into consideration what I've said.
ok i dont know if i want a flash site rite now b/c of the time it takes for u guys to make them and i can just stick with myspace but as soon as we get a label ill email u so u can get a cd if u listen to the kinda music we play b/c you've been alot of help tonight you've moved the band in a big spot you've also gave me some great advice so thanks alot

Cross_Eyed_Drum
11-17-2005, 11:34 PM
well i have to go for tonight im goning to call the lead singer in the morning to see if we can meet somewhere and decide on what to do heres my email
s o c e r_ pl aya (at) hotmail . com

xavier101
11-18-2005, 03:27 PM
What I'd like to know is ... does this forum have a moderator and if so did they read the sticky ?

All posted offerings must be related to Flash projects.

These offerings are for PAID WORK ONLY!