PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : WHY Didn't anyone TELL ME

el-Ignoramus
12-15-2005, 03:30 AM
I hate you all

well not all, and not entirely hate, but why didn't anyone tell me about this forum

I'm rellocating :)

anyway this is the perfect place to ask for this tip

http://pix2.hotornot.com/pics/HR/HE/NY/KU/ELEQS8KHHFCW.jpg

I have a Canon G5 and I know of certain limitations

but can I achieve this effect by a cannon G5??

normally this effect is done by setting a lont exposure time, and while zoomed out, you kinda zoom in nice and smooth to get the person in focus and get teh back ground to blur like that

sadly Cannon G5 can't allow you to change your zoom level once you've pressed the shutter release

so any tips??

I was going to ask Aversion or Aria directly but I guess that's a better method

carly1979
12-15-2005, 04:20 AM
can't help you with that i'm afraid, but i do find it funny that you only just found this forum!! really??! it's been here since june!! i thought i was slow (took me a week or so to realise why 'themed photography' was no longer appearing in the arena) :)

anyway, welcome over here :D

el-Ignoramus
12-15-2005, 06:14 AM
can't help you with that i'm afraid, but i do find it funny that you only just found this forum!! really??! it's been here since june!! i thought i was slow (took me a week or so to realise why 'themed photography' was no longer appearing in the arena) :)

anyway, welcome over here :D

Thanks Carly, I seem to remember someone mentioning something about it in the CL, must've been busy following the latest Subway/Gerbick War or something ;)

between you and I, I usually went to DPreview.com for the Canon tips, and also to www.thecreativeforum.com to show my work, but I know Robb and Aversion both use Canon G5 or was it G3 for Subbers, anyway, so I thought I'd get a more accurate response here

I'm looking around and Liking what I'm seeing so far

ctranter
12-15-2005, 07:19 AM
I couldn't see the pic - I assume you are talking about zoom bursting (http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/viewtechnique.cfm?recid=228)?

The usual method is with an SLR and a zoom lens... I'm really not sure if there is a way to work it with a digicam like the G5. The only possible way I can see is if you physically move the camera in or out - but I'm sure this will not be an easy or effective substitute!

el-Ignoramus
12-15-2005, 07:30 AM
I couldn't see the pic - I assume you are talking about zoom bursting (http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/viewtechnique.cfm?recid=228)?

The usual method is with an SLR and a zoom lens... I'm really not sure if there is a way to work it with a digicam like the G5. The only possible way I can see is if you physically move the camera in or out - but I'm sure this will not be an easy or effective substitute!

Yeah so far that's all I mamanged to do, of course it never comes as smooth, so I'm thinkin of constructing a moving platform on rails to steady the zooming effect

Material used, LEGO of course ;)

el-Ignoramus
12-15-2005, 07:39 AM
hey, Cokin makes a zoom burst add on filter, it doesn't do any actual zoomin of course, but it gives the desired effect

Cokin dealer, here I come :)

robbmcaulay
12-15-2005, 07:45 AM
el-Ig, i'm disappointed in your lack of imagination!

Transparent Pringles lid... some grease...

Fix the lid infront of the lens, apply some grease using a tissue, then use another tissue to wipe away a section in the middle that you want to be in focus then use a scoring tool to draw lines fron the centre out.

http://www.robbmc.com/photoblog/images/20050807194132_filter.jpg

You can make the effect more extreme than this by applying more grease ;)

el-Ignoramus
12-15-2005, 08:15 AM
You and your damned affection with Grease, you and Markp should get together sometime

gonna try this one though, which brand do you prefer ;)

but I think the cokin filter will give me a more sophisticated result, anyway it's a stroll away from my work place, so I'll go see what it lok slike, if it's that simple, then a spare filter, Crisco can and we're in business

el-Ignoramus
12-15-2005, 08:18 AM
yet you gotta admit, a train made out of LEGO to craddle the camera would be Tons cooler and renders you 10,000 geek points :p

admedia
12-15-2005, 12:57 PM
photoshop seems easiest IMO.

/unpurist

el-Ignoramus
12-15-2005, 08:34 PM
well I kinda take pride in not editing my pics at all, but I understand your notion nevertheless

robbmcaulay
12-15-2005, 08:54 PM
And I take pride in spending as little money as possible!

Get your fingers dirty and save some cash!

You'll get bored of the effect soon anyway...

robbmcaulay
01-20-2006, 03:11 PM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=23246&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/23246.jpg

I'm sure you could find some sort of adaptor for the G5 ;)

el-Ignoramus
01-21-2006, 03:54 PM
hey thanks for the tip, nice find, but as you anticipated, I got bored with that effect soon, and to be honest, it's not that chic to begin with, I needed it for a couple of blurred pics and that was it, I ended using a lens and some vaselin :)

well, nowadays I'm fascinated by Light Boxes, gonna build mine soon :)

go check my DevianArt gallery, link in my signature, got some white box setup, check it out

robbmcaulay
01-21-2006, 09:35 PM
but as you anticipated, I got bored with that effect soon

;)

I ended using a lens and some vaselin :)

The DIY approach, always the best way!

el-Ignoramus
01-22-2006, 01:48 AM
;)

The DIY approach, always the best way!

anything including Vaseline is always good :p

tiGRAN=-2001
02-05-2006, 07:54 AM
where did you find the original pic?? Im almost absolutely sure the girl is photoshoped in

if you cant zoom while clicking, try moving the camera back and forth on a slow shutter to achieve the bg effect.. then ps the person in?
I guess if you dont want to edit, the only possible way would be to move your camera back or in at a slow shutter speed, then somehow light up the object you want to appear in focus at the end. But this is pretty impossible and wouldnt look too good. I advise you ps or get a cheap slr :)