PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Good Choice?

skill_guy101
12-27-2005, 03:14 PM
The Panasonic DMC-FX9 (http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle_cluster?q=Panasonic+DMC-FX9&pid=2067318427151828269&oid=18343206361285096479&btnG=Search+Froogle&scoring=p)
http://img.ferra.ru/pubimages/76309.jpg
Just bought it this from Jessops for 235. I dont know that much about cameras but would like to get into photography in a small way. Its reasonably small so it will fit nicely into my pocket.

Is it a good camera and did i pay a far price? Its 6 megapixel and has a 3x optical zoom.

The 512mb SD Card was 50. i might take that back and buy it somewere cheaper. Will a cheaper card slow the camera down?

Thanks Guys.

robbmcaulay
12-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Dunno too much about the Camera itself but don't Lumix cameras have a 16x9 censor? Pretty cool...

I wouldn't worry too much about a cheaper card slowing it down, just don't buy the cheapest, same with everything really!

frex
12-27-2005, 04:39 PM
It has Leica lenses...you bought the best here!
The rest I don't know much about.
Whatever you buy, if Canon, Casio, Nikon, Fuji and what more there is on the market, they all have their good and their bad features...and you never get the BEST!
The price sounds faire to me and like Rob said, I would not care about using a cheap card :-)

skill_guy101
12-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks guys,

Salesmen dont have a clue do they? They seem to skate around technical questions pretending that they know what the terms you use are when it is obvious that they dont. I found managed to find a manager in one shop who seemed to know what he was taking about.

Ive only been able to take shots inside with the lights on so far. They have come out with lots of noise, but i supose that is to be expected. The 300seconds of 640x480 30fps or 10fps video might come in handy when out and about and need to capture something moving.

On question, i have the picture size set to "6m". I am persuming that this is 6 million pixels. But when i put the photos onto the computer, the dimentions are 1600x1200 which is 1.92million pxels. Whats up with that?

I got a tripod because i have a very unsteady hand. It has a stabaliser on which will probably help.
The camera has the following modes:
Normal
Simple
Macro
Scene Which includes
-Self Portrait
-Portrait
-Sports
-Food
-Scenery
-Night Portrait
-Night Scenery
-Baby
-Soft Sikin
Candle Light
-Party
-Fireworks
-Snow
-Stary sky
Motion picture
I guess im best off using presets.
there are also some other settings like exposure, auto bracket and colour settings.

I have Photoshop 7.0 and soon am going to upgrade to CS2. What setting am i better changing on the computer? Images are compressed into jpegs on the camera.

Thanks