PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : copyright of photographing objects

Boombanguk
12-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi,

If I was to use photo that I took of a pen (with the branding removed) in my website would that be copyright infringment? whats the rules for using imagery of real world objects online?

thanks for any advice

boombanguk

skate342
12-31-2005, 06:01 PM
If I was to use photo that I took of a pen (with the branding removed) in my website would that be copyright infringment?

No

more info on copyrights: http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

nordberg
12-31-2005, 11:22 PM
great link skate, but for the time challenged, where exactly does it address his question?

Boombanguk
12-31-2005, 11:25 PM
I was kinda thinking the same :)

skate342
12-31-2005, 11:55 PM
It wasn't addressed in the same context actually. I only posted the link in case you wanted to read more about copyrights, and that site is a good resource. In regards to your specific question, think of it this way. Say I want to make an informative website about the city i live in with pictures that i took of cool buildings or neighborhoods. I don't need to get permission from the architect/owners/etc.

You took the photo, you even blurred out the brand name. You're safe.

Boombanguk
01-01-2006, 12:03 PM
yes but what if I was to use the website as a promotional device to get me work? (i.e money) couldn't it be said that even though I've got rid of the branding, it could be still possible for someone somewhere to reconise the pen, maybe just from the shape?? or is that being paranoid? :)

skate342
01-01-2006, 01:58 PM
or is that being paranoid? :)

Very very much so.

admedia
01-03-2006, 05:08 AM
Yea I would say you are clear as well.

but just for the sake of posting this link to some nice forms I found, say you are taking a picture of someones car and resell that image you would need a property release form (http://www.dpcorner.com/all_about/releases2.shtml).

ToddSm66
01-03-2006, 06:28 PM
As long as you aren't selling the photo, you should be OK...you don't even really need to remove the branding unless you want to.

Boombanguk
01-03-2006, 06:54 PM
im not selling the photo, but I might make money indirectly from promotional value that i might get from the website (which contains the images)