PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Shall I just stick with Nikon?

asheep_uk
02-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Without starting a stupid Mac vs. Windows, Coke vs. Pepsi, or Powerpuff Girls vs. Fantastic Four debate, I ask...

I currently have a collection of Nikon film SLRs and lenses. I would like to buy a digital SLR, for all kinds of reasons. Now, straight away I went to Nikon and found the D50. Perfect for what I need.

I have however overlooked ever other make. I can't get through all the bollocks on Canon's web site to understand which cameras are which, so simply which camera is comparable and am I going to miss it, or another make, if I go ahead with the Nikon?

Thanks for your advice.

WannaBe_80z
02-09-2006, 06:48 PM
www.bhphotovideo.com look around there and read some reviews. I am a Canon whore so my opinion is bias...but just get what feels best in your hand. Go to a store and play with the physical cameras. And I am guessing you looked at the D50 instead of the D70 because of price?

asheep_uk
02-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Price and it uses SD, I can't be bothered to get into CompactFlash as everything is moving to SD in the next year or so. Also, I couldn't tell much difference apart from a bigger lens to be honest. Thanks for the link!

admedia
02-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Compact Flash isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Yes. Get a Nikon.

gesteves
02-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Check here (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php) for a nice list of camera reviews, if you're interested.

asheep_uk
02-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Both those links are very good, nice to read proper opinions rather than some silly review. I like the way DC Resource works, looks good for picking the right cards too.

Thanks for your opinions guys, I'll tell you once I've got the Nikon in so many weeks/months :)

WannaBe_80z
02-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah it sucks...i think it is going to take a month for my loan to clear...

DAMN THE SYSTEM!

alty29
02-13-2006, 05:11 AM
D50 is great, I love it.

aversion
02-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Compact flash definitely isn't going anywhere, it's the most widely used and supported memory format. That's not changing.

Which camera you should buy is going to be a balance of price and features. You should definitely check other cameras out but you need to balance having to buy new lenses when you already have some. I don't know if your lenses are any good or not. If they are then you might be reluctant to buy another brand, but you also need to check your lenses are compatible with the D50, not all nikon lenses work on all nikon SLRs.

frex
02-13-2006, 12:49 PM
It are the lenses that costs the money...so if you already have a collection go for a Nikon body!
That is why I bought mine :-)

robbmcaulay
02-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Not wishing to complicate things further but the Fujifilm S3 Pro is meant to have an amazing sensor and uses Nikon F-mount...

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/s3pro/promotion/

http://whatdigitalcamera.com/imageBank/s/s3-main.gif

aversion
02-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Not wishing to complicate things further but the Fujifilm S3 Pro is meant to have an amazing sensor and uses Nikon F-mount...
It's also more than twice the price! You could buy a D200 for the price of that thing.

robbmcaulay
02-13-2006, 03:16 PM
It's also more than twice the price! You could buy a D200 for the price of that thing.

:D Yeh, I tend to forget about cost when recommending for other people :)