PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : does flash have colour profile controls?

sandra 75
02-17-2006, 07:19 AM
hi there,
I am doing this site for a photographer, where he sent me all his fotos already nicely comressed etc exactly like he wants them; but then when I import them into flash they come out at the other end just this little bit with less contrast and duller.
Does flash change the colour profile of an imported jpg and if so where do I control that?

thanks a million in advance,
sandra

Big Up Ya
02-17-2006, 08:20 AM
common problem.

I'm guessing that they're in adobe 98. Open in photoshop and convert them to sRGB. It may need a slight further tweak in contrast and a tad more red once it's converted.

Adobe98 for print (it has a larger colour gamut)
sRGB for web or monitor use.

Flash doesn't utilise any colour profiling, what you are seeing is the difference in colour gamut.

sandra 75
02-17-2006, 08:31 AM
hmmm, they are already in sRGB. And the way they appear comressed, as jpg and with sRGB is of the liking of the photographer.....only when I then tyake the image and import it into Flash, the img looses contrast.
...or are you saying the only option to avoid that is by boosting contrast previously?

Big Up Ya
02-17-2006, 09:10 AM
hmmmm....no I was actually guessing they were in Adobe98 as that is a common thing for it to look flat and unsaturated.

You could try turning the compression off in flash?? it may be messing with the pixels there and flatening it out. I'm guessing that the algorythms there aren't as accurate as the photoshop ones.

Failing that you can try bringing up the original in photoshop, and then in another window bring it up in flash and tweak the brightness depending on how different it looks. Bit rough that way, but it might do the job depending on how much difference there is.

Or...as mentioned just guess the difference in photoshop. Do it as an adjustment layer in curves then save the curve. That way you can just drop it on top of each image later.

Also don't forget that everyones monitor is soooo different anyway. I spent ages getting mine perfect only to find it looked very different on ever monitor I looked at anyway. You can waste alot of time ad energy on something that is otherwise inevitably going to be wide and varied to begin with. Sigh.

sandra 75
02-17-2006, 09:18 AM
that are sad news to have to pass on to a photographer who has spend ages trying to get the photo just right :-(
well, I expected something like that.....just had a glimse of hope for some experts magic ...
but hey, thanks for all the help ....
sandra

Big Up Ya
02-17-2006, 11:42 AM
You could try asking an expert...

www.robgalbraith.com

the forums there are good for this kind of stuff.

sandra 75
02-17-2006, 11:52 AM
ok, thanxs, will try that :-)