PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : BOB...question

BradBradleySL
12-10-2000, 03:46 AM
Bob-

I want to have my intro animation for my site available for download (.fun file) I think it would help people out a lot to be able to inspect how the animation was created. Would be a good learning tool. But I want to keep the animation still "mine" is there a way you could edit the .fun file for me so that people could look at it, and experiment with it but not be able to save it or export it to web. Or some type of "watermark" showing that it is my property etc....

Thanks

Brad

Bob Hartzell
12-10-2000, 05:08 AM
I don't know how to do that. Even if I added a special tag, because it is ascii it could be removed with a text editor. Even protection tags in .swf files can be removed with freeware software. My solution is to not provide the .fun only the .swf.

BradBradleySL
12-10-2000, 12:07 PM
But Bob that wouldn't help anyone, I want the .fun file available for people to take apart and see how the animation is created.

Oh well, I guess I will have to trust people not to take my work as there own.

Brad

johnie
12-10-2000, 02:01 PM
Brad, Even if you just posted the SWF it could be parsed and stripped down and if the persoon was smart enough turned into a Fla.

The sad thing is there is no theft free way to make information publicly available over the internet. If you post to the web then others will have access to the your work and you have little control over it after it leaves your server.

Since it is technically impossible to stop a theif from taking your work you do have relief under the law. That is why the laws are written as they are.

BradBradleySL
12-10-2000, 03:56 PM
I am abandoning the AMEBA site idea, it was basically just an experiment....thought I would make it my home page, but another idea popped into my head recently, will be much better:)

So I thought I would make the intro up for grabs for inspection. I think I will simply post it with my name..etc..saying this is mine, don't reproduce blahblah.
And hope people have enough respect not to steal my work.

One last question for Bob, can you make it(easily I don't want to cause a problem for you) so the .fun file can not be saved or exported to web, I know people could probally remove whatever you do, but something is better then nothing..??

Thanks

Brad

Bob Hartzell
12-11-2000, 07:59 AM
It is easy to do but let me think about it. I will create a post-it so I won't forget.

For the moment, just put a modest copyright notice in the corner of the animation. My neighbor who is a graphic artist and does magazine covers had one of his magazine covers swiped by another artist. My neighbor had his laywer write a letter to the person who was the recepient of the stolen art and who had hired the artist with threats of triple damages. My neighbor was compensated.

I was thinking about bones in the middle of the night and I have a design I need to discuss with Richard. It has a lot of advantages from a programming point of view and also simplicity of use. So, we have not forgotten about bones.

BradBradleySL
12-11-2000, 08:14 AM
OK:)

Brad