PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : AUTORUN HTM instead of PROJECTOR EXE

Jason_Buck
07-07-2000, 09:13 AM
FREE TO ALL MY FLASHKIT USER FRIENDS who feel that you get more out of EMBEDDED FLASH than you do out of PROJECTOR EXE's

I have created a VB 6 Program that will autorun your HTM file that will load your embedded SWF file. This program was developed specifically for CD Distribution and not having to use the PROJECT EXE file. The reason I did this is because my company is working on a hugh project and we could print from STANDALONE, so we decided to embed in HTM and make everything work from there, including the AUTORUN.INF feature available to the PROJECTOR EXE.

If you want this code and program, I need your email address.

Respectfully,

JASON BUCK
TITLE UNKNOWN (I'm working for a start-up dot-com)
http://www.how2tv.com

Jason_Buck
07-07-2000, 09:17 AM
Just email me at

jbuck@how2tv.com

The Master
07-07-2000, 05:40 PM
I can already offer this same program :)

My program written in C++ can call anything through the autorun.ini but I haven't released it yet because while I can get it to call through the command line.. when flash calls it through the command line I get errors.. (I'm still working on debugging.. and I was going to add a browse command)

Now don't quote me if I'm wrong here but what I specifically remember about Visual Basic in general is that it required specific .dll's and .ocx's files in the Windows system and system 32 directory.. That's why there are downloadable packs out there called Runtime files or VB Runtime files.. ect.

Installing these files on a user computer would be really annoying and in-fact not friendly to a user system because if a older .dll gets copied over a new.. well that user is #@!@#*# but that's windows for you :)

Anyway it was because of Visual Basic's dependencies on runtime files that I left that environment.. Please tell me I'm wrong cause Visual Basic was so much easier coding then C++, still C/C++ programs have 0 dependencies (unless you add them) can be used on multiple Operating Systems (I don't mean Windows) and allow a full range of flexibility within a operating system.

Here's the point.. I know my program runs on every Windows operating system from Windows 95, 98, 2000 and now even ME

I'm just not real sure about yours.. if you want to compare file size's by the way my executable comes out at the moment at 200 kb but properly optimized it comes out at 130 kb (this is current without new code)

If this executable is really needed by someone I'll send it out.. but you should just wait for the finished product eventually I'll have it.. :P

Jason_Buck
07-07-2000, 06:10 PM
The program is so basic that it doesn't require any additional DLL's or OCX's. It is just an EXE that makes a command line call to launch the HTM file determined in the code (either index.htm or default.htm)
The AUTORUN.INF call the VB 6 Program which is an EXE. Then from the VB 6 Program, it runs a command line command that calls the HTM(L) file and then the program closes itself. So you never even know the VB 6 Program ran.

Jason

Originally posted by The Master
I can already offer this same program :)

My program written in C++ can call anything through the autorun.ini but I haven't released it yet because while I can get it to call through the command line.. when flash calls it through the command line I get errors.. (I'm still working on debugging.. and I was going to add a browse command)

Now don't quote me if I'm wrong here but what I specifically remember about Visual Basic in general is that it required specific .dll's and .ocx's files in the Windows system and system 32 directory.. That's why there are downloadable packs out there called Runtime files or VB Runtime files.. ect.

Installing these files on a user computer would be really annoying and in-fact not friendly to a user system because if a older .dll gets copied over a new.. well that user is #@!@#*# but that's windows for you :)

Anyway it was because of Visual Basic's dependencies on runtime files that I left that environment.. Please tell me I'm wrong cause Visual Basic was so much easier coding then C++, still C/C++ programs have 0 dependencies (unless you add them) can be used on multiple Operating Systems (I don't mean Windows) and allow a full range of flexibility within a operating system.

Here's the point.. I know my program runs on every Windows operating system from Windows 95, 98, 2000 and now even ME

I'm just not real sure about yours.. if you want to compare file size's by the way my executable comes out at the moment at 200 kb but properly optimized it comes out at 130 kb (this is current without new code)

If this executable is really needed by someone I'll send it out.. but you should just wait for the finished product eventually I'll have it.. :P

The Master
07-07-2000, 07:16 PM
After writing my long winded explanation I had to feel safe in my knowledge of both Operating Systems (namely windows) and my knowledge of programming (namely VB vs. C/C++)

So here's what I did I started by making a simple VB app.. one your probably familiar with "Hello World"

Command Button
Text1.Text = "Hello World"
Exit

I compiled the program and ran it in the following order on the following operating systems..

Fresh Install of Windows ME (program ran.. this makes sense because Microsoft would include standard .dll's in new OS's)
Windows 2000 (program ran.. my own install.. it definatly had all the right .dll's cause I make programs)
Windows 98 Second Edition (program ran.. I figured it would because we have the misfortune of actually using VB apps at work not to mention office)
Fresh Install of Windows 98 Second Edition.. (program failed.. with this error message's..)
http://theemaster.netfirms.com/.dllerror.gif

Conclusion = This program will not work on any fresh installs starting from Windows 98SE to the original Windows 95.. (I did not test on NT 4 but it's possible it will not autoplay there either.. I suspect however that 2000 probably has the required .dll's on fresh install)

It will also not run without having a 3rd party app installing specified .dll's for VB 6.. That or you could add the VB 6 runtime files to the cd and hopefully the user would guess to click on them.. (when I learned this lesson nearly two years ago.. my app required something like 6 .dll's)

Perhaps you don't know better but all programs made in VB require some .dll's or .ocx files that why I mentioned there are packages on the Internet for downloading these free files.. VB programs have dependencies thus I have always thought of that programming language as flawed (very nice to use but flawed none the less)

Also a side note I did read on the web somewhere that a autorun.ini can actually open a file in it's default viewer but it only works for Windows 95 and 98 not NT4 or 2000 (it probably works on ME as well) I've never tested it cause I wasn't interested.. (microsoft.com has good stuff on building the autorun.ini)

The two reasons I'm writing this long winded piece..
A. I need motivation to finish my current project :)
B. To prove I'm right and educate you..
[Edited by The Master on 07-07-2000 at 07:22 PM]