PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Another preloader thought

evolbeagle
12-26-2000, 03:17 PM
Hey Bob, I just had a thought about the preloader thing. As I ask this, remember that I know nothing about how you go about programming KoolMoves, so this may be a dumb idea, but here goes...

You already have the automatic preloader function programmed into KM. The only problem with it, as either Brad or johnie have pointed out, is that it's kind of dull since it can't be tailored to fit a site or a movie theme. What if you modified your preloader function to include a load/unload movie option? Then, I could make a small preloader movie that fits what I'm doing and your automatic preloader function could play that movie until the main movie is loaded, then dump it before going on to the main movie. If (a big if) this would be easier to add in than a full "if frame loaded" function, then this would give users some customization ability they don't currently have while allowing you to focus programming time on things you'd rather work on. Again, this may not be a helpful idea since I don't really know what I'm talking about, but there it is.
[Edited by evolbeagle on 12-26-2000 at 02:27 PM]

Bob Hartzell
12-26-2000, 04:08 PM
I am extending the preloader code at this moment. What I am doing is allowing the user to select one of two styles: the current text message or a movie preloader. The movie, I believe, needs to be a fun file so I can append in the swf export operation the preloader movie to the front of the main movie. Here is my concern with using a swf preloader. If the preloader is a swf file and is invoked by a load movie action, can I test in the main movie if a certain frame is loaded? Flash gurus, please think about this. I have not seen in a preloader tutorial a stand-alone preloader that is a swf file.

evolbeagle
12-26-2000, 04:20 PM
If you're already that far along then my idea is no good anyway. I wasn't thinking that the loaded movie would handle any preloading functions; the built-in preloader would do that. The loaded movie would just be something more visually interesting to play on top of the preloader while the preloader did its thing. I was thinking of it as a trade-off between leaving the preloader like it is and completely upgrading it. But, again, I don't really know what I'm talking about and it sounds like you're on top of it as usual. I'll quit making lame programming suggestions now and go back to learning how to draw. :)

johnie
12-26-2000, 05:26 PM
I haven't seen it either Bob except I do have an idea of how to go about such a beast. It would be a scripting nightmare but possible.

BradBradleySL
12-26-2000, 05:44 PM
Interesting ideas.....looking forward to bones:) and motion paths, and everything else that I have seen will be coming very soon

Brad