PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Need help with pricing.

SuperMario
12-30-2000, 01:06 AM
I keep losing clients. :(

How much would you charge for the flash movie on this site:

http://www.1scom.com/home.html

I charged $1000 and they seemed to like that. It's below my usual rate of flash design @ $40 / hour.

Now, on the other hand, what would you charge for an entire site laid out like this (still conceptual stage -- a redesign to replace the "billboard" at the first address):

http://www.catapultic.com/onesource/d2/main.asp?page=phone

The site consists of four or five of these little movies, driven by a simple ASP script.

I can't seem to find a comfortable price range without driving away clients.

Thanks!

Jls2K
12-30-2000, 09:24 AM
$100 or $1000?
If it was $100 - That's more than the going rate here but I reckon it's pretty fair by what I hear of US rates.

Interestingly enough it asked me to install the Flash 5 plugin (which I of course have) before it loaded up your movie. Strange.

In terms of pricing my rule is "Undercharge rather than overcharge". That way you'll at least be known as a cheap developer and you'll get lots of work, and you can bracket creep your prices over time to determine what still keeps you in the good books with the employers.

For freelance I charge maybe $20 - $30 USD per hour.

Cheers

Jesse

chewman2k
12-30-2000, 09:26 AM
well first off...I've never been hired as a designer, so I can't offer any help there:(
What I can say is that, why don't you post this in the Job's forum, or in the Coffee Lounge..I reckon why more ppl will reply to it.
l8a

jelve
12-30-2000, 01:33 PM
Welcome to the Flash Kit Site Check forum!
The way this forum works is by co-operative effort. The moderators are unpaid volunteers who are here to keep things running smoothly. We try to do as many site checks as we can but, it is also up to you to do your part.
Please check out the links in my footer ('Here's how!' and 'jelve's tips') for ways to make your visits here more rewarding.
You should aslo look at the vB code (http://board.flashkit.com/board/index.php?action=bbcode) and Smilies (http://board.flashkit.com/board/index.php?action=showsmilies) links found in numerous places on the boards to see how you can spice up your posts with hyperlinks, lists, code blocks, etc. :D :D

agent vivid
02-11-2001, 07:44 AM
moved to the boardroom... :D

DJ_SFinKz
02-11-2001, 08:56 AM
ok,
i think you both got a pretty good deal, well put it this way:
i wouldn't ask for anymore.

You have to see about that problem about asking to install flash 5! It asked me and i already have it.

longy
02-11-2001, 10:33 AM
it asked me too, and i already have it, and the background image didnt load either

wseligman
02-18-2001, 07:51 PM
I'm catching up on old topics, excuse the late and rather long response.

By the way, chewman2K- I'm just a little confused: Are you suggesting Super Mario post in other forums to broaden the number of responses he gets, or because his post is more appropriate elsewhere? (I think it's quite appropriate according to the guidelines listed.)

Anyway, SuperMario just my two cents from an old school designer, but:

I have been a print designer in advertising, packaging and displays for 15 years. I've been in multimedia and video for the past 5. Located in CT/USA, I can say that freelance rates for print designers range from $30-55 per hour. Because CT isn't the mecca that Cali or NY is for funky web design shops, agencies here are mostly geared to doing marketing communications for Fortune 500 clients. And, as such, a lot of people here are react like cave people when you show them a Flash intro. As if they're seeing "fire" for the first time: "EXPLAIN THIS TO ME, THIS WONDEROUS THING YOU CALL OPENING SEQUENCE." Flash people around here command $80-120 an hour because they're the only game in town.

I'd say that agencies put a bigger premium on finding talented DESIGNERS first, coding/back-end second. And, clients are generally misinformed about multimedia and design in general. What I mean is, you might have a killer intro with a main and 2 secondary pages that took you forever, and the client will say, "well, this should only cost this much, because this other site had 15 pages for the same amount. They equate the number of pages with cost, and not the work that went into it. The more it costs, then they can justify spending the money.

I think all Flash/multimedia designers should charge the money they do for the DESIGN part of it, not try to come in at $25 an hour to undercut someone else because you "know" a program. Stand up for yourself develop yourself as a designer! Eventually, EVERYONE will have the same tools/software, but what you design and what you come up with will set you apart. When they see the work side-by-side from different Flash/multimedia people, and if the price is competitive between all, the person that "shows" a little somethin' somethin different will get the gig.

I have worked for ALL kinds of clients from Mercedes-Benz to the pizza place up the street. They all have one thing in common when it comes to you cutting your price to save them money: IT'S NEVER ENOUGH! THEY ALWAYS WANT MORE FOR LESS! YOU may feel good that you were able to save it for them, but next time, you've conditioned them to expect a lower rate. The bottom line is that you're there to solve their problem: which is to help them communicate their message effectively. Sometimes that means an expensive solution, sometimes not.

If we all focus on being just "hired guns", good with Flash, but can't design, we will fall by the wayside to those that do.

</ End of rant >