PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Bringing Poser 4 Animations into Flash

sp00d
07-17-2000, 07:18 AM
I have used swift 3d and 3d studio max to render all the frames of an animation then copied all these frames into flash, giving the effect of animation. With Poser, all i can do is render each frame individually as a jpeg (which takes AGES to keep clicking render) or have it render multiple frames to 3dstudio file format. When I go to open the 3dstudio format, i find that Poser has actually rendered 60 individual files, which means my only option is to export each file individually using the vecta 3d plug in. Doing it this way i may as well have exported the jpegs in the first place!! What would be nice would be to get from poser to a nice set of 60 (if thats how many frames the animation had)vector images to put into flash, with no horrible backdrops etc (i get this when i use jpegs). The best way i can think of is to go via 3dstudio max with the vecta plugin, seeing as poser already supports the 3ds format. But maybe im doing something wrong with it? CAn you get a single 3dstudio file from poser, which when opened, gives the complete animation in 3ds max? Or do i need anotehr plug-in?

TIA for any help

sp00d
07-19-2000, 06:50 AM
is that not actually possible then!?!? Come on Flash Gurus you must know!!

Vince
07-19-2000, 09:09 AM
Which version of Poser do you have? Doesn't the newest one support animation and will export a seires of whatevers?

sp00d
07-19-2000, 07:25 PM
I have Poser4.0, which i believe is the latest. Read my first post for an explanation of what happens when i try to export the animation. I get a series of still images. I want to open a file a in 3ds and get the whole animation opened, so i can just export all the frames with vecta. At the moment i have to open every 3ds file (one for each frame from poser) and export each file individually. This takes hours, and is frankly ridiculous!!

Vince
07-20-2000, 09:10 AM
Oh jeez... now I get it... I haven't worked in Poser in a LONG time, but I think you might be f*cked. If it only exports a bunch of .3ds files instead of ONE .3ds file with the animation... uh... damn...

Can you just import the model and then ANIMATE it in MAX itself?

theMatrix
07-20-2000, 12:09 PM
.3DS is not an all-encompasing export format and has notable limitations, especially when character animation is involved. Many items (such as modifier and morph animation) are collaped to a mesh at the current frame in MAX. The sequence of .3DS files may be due to limitations in the file format. I've had similar problems trying to export character animations from MAX to render in Swift3D.

I don't have Poser, but will be adding it to my studio soon. I hope to have more to add at a later date.

Vince's suggestion is the only way I've found to reliably do true 3D character animation in flash to date - 'reliable' subject to the limitations in Vecta3D-MAX.

You can import only the mesh into MAX and do the animation there. The skin modifier is great for mesh deformation and you can do facial movements, etc. with the morpher modifier.

http://www.2112fx.com/creature1.html , for example.

The i-k rigs in the MAX core package are not as robust as Character Studio. Beware. If you use Euler-based controllers for your bone end-effectors, your rigs can theoretically gimbal lock. The TCB Rotation controller is quaternion-based and very stable, but does not have parameters that can be easily manipulated in track view. Ha ha! Translated ... we want to get you hooked just enough to spend another $1k on Character Studio.

You can get around this by taking joints that rotate about all three axes and add a dummy bone to control the up-vector. For example, a hip joint. Create on bone that controls rotation about Z. Link another bone that controls rotation about X,Y. Then, your rig will be stable and won't lock and you can use all the power of track view in your animation. You will find things a bit different from Poser.

File sizes in Vecta3D-MAX will be large. The animation example I gave you was 72 frames and just over 500K. You might want to experiment with a few test renders before going through the tedium of a complete animation.

Good luck!

Mod
07-20-2000, 04:44 PM
good work..

Thanks for info...

MOd[; ]

sp00d
07-20-2000, 08:20 PM
Whats all this 3d Studio stuff!?!? The REASOn i use poser, is BECAUSE none of the techical stuff Matrix mentioned, matters in there!! it gets REAL complicated trying to animate people around in 3dStudio, thats why i use poser!! i only use 3dStudio for exporting things really....i can do basic thing sin it, but it looks far too complicated to be worthwhile learning....when i have something that can only be done in 3ds, maybe ill learn it then.

Anyway, i figured out how to do it....
Export all frames as .tiff files from poser, then open up Adobe Streamline and Batch process them all to vectors (i didnt realise Streamline could batch process!!) and then just drop them into Flash :o)

theMatrix
07-20-2000, 08:43 PM
I was responding to a later question about doing the animation in MAX. I'm glad you found a solution that works within the Poser framework.

Could you post an example of the result? I haven't used Streamline and think your idea of batch-processing Poser frames is very interesting.

I also generally try to scare people away from character animation in MAX unless you want to get into Character Studio and make a career in the game industry :)

thanks!

Steve Zytariuk
07-23-2000, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by sp00d
but it looks far too complicated to be worthwhile learning....

3D Studio MAX and Maya are the leading 3D modeling / animation programs used in industry man! Sure the books for them are like 800 freakin pages that only cover 3/4 of the content but its WELL worth learning.

http://www.dimensionstudios.net

gmasters1@socal.rr.com
08-01-2000, 02:38 PM
I've been using (what used to be) MetaCreations software for a long time. Curious Labs, the new home of Poser recently announced a Pro version of their quirky little program that will export .swf and .mt3 (metastream 3D files). The new version is also reported to work with Softimage and Lightwave as well. The new release is expected in the fall. Check out the full article if interested:

http://www.maccentral.com/news/0007/24.poser.shtml

Although posted at MacCentral, the above info applies to PC, especially since Softimage and 3DStudio Max don't even exist for Mac (yet).

theMatrix
08-01-2000, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the link. I've heard a lot about the Pro pak. Greater integration with MAX and .swf export. Can't help but like that :)