PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Site based on content

vfarcic
01-28-2001, 12:27 PM
What would you do if some client asks you to build him site based on large ammount of data? Would you make him ASP site with some database or would you take th challenge and try to build Flash site with Generator as backend solution?

Aria
01-28-2001, 01:14 PM
hiya :)

thats a really good question -Id like to see what the general feeling is here as well, I also dont know any ppl who use Generator and I guess if i had to take that decision Id go for ASP ...

ill move this thread from the lounge to scripting and backend where youre more likely to get some feedback and input... Also you could try and post this in the boardroom :)

Thanks
A

NETbreed
01-28-2001, 03:29 PM
Hi All!

I shifted this from S&B as it isn't really a help question - more something for the Boardroom. Pinball anyone??? ;):D;)

Anyway, my take on this would be:

Unless there's a good reason to use Flash for the WHOLE site then I'd go with PHP/ASP and, if necessary, have the Flash parts embedded in THAT page. I think it's important these days to make yourself justify the existence of EVERY feature of your site. If there's not a good reason for having it there or doing i that way then change it!

That and I don't think that Flash is mature enough yet to handle bif information sites...neither was it ever designed for that purpose!

Regards,

Steve
[Edited by NETbreed on 01-28-2001 at 02:32 PM]

tenkinetic
01-28-2001, 08:22 PM
Sounds to me like an asp back end and flash front end...

I'm working on a site at the moment for a particular brand of diet cola that does this. I don't know the URL yet, it's due for rollout on feb 5th (starting the job today...great time management saga ahead...) so maybe I can post a url later... I suspect it's going to be somewhere in this domain: http://www.dietcoke.com/ ... wow I had to look at the site for the first time there... no comment, don't want to upset the client...

There's alot of posts in here about getting flash and asp in bed together, and asp is a real whore when it comes to databases...so the three of them generally have a rip-roaring time...is this a bad metaphore?

---------------------------------

no that site was (is going to be) http://www.livealittle.com
[Edited by tenkinetic on 01-28-2001 at 11:29 PM]