PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Random Thoughts

Skraut
01-29-2001, 10:02 PM
After a quick perusal of ELance, I noticed a lot of quality Flash Developers being underbid for contracts by what appeared to be 13-15 year old kids. When I was 13, I couldn't afford the $75 for a graphics program for my Atari 800 and instead spent 2 weeks typing in one from a magazine. Now I'm not saying there aren't kids with legitimate versions of Flash out there and I don't want to offend anyone who does have it legally, but it really makes you wonder when after a few minutes of searching I was able to locate over 12 different places to download the Warezed version of Flash 5.

As I see it, this is not only hurting Macromedia, it's also hurting the rest of us with higher prices on Flash so Macromedia can recoup some of its lost income, but it is especially hurting the professional freelancers who are not only being undercut, but also have to watch the overall quality of flash use go down. Companies who may go the cheaper route and get burned by warez kiddies will be less likely to consider Flash use in the future.

I'm relatively new to flash, having only bought my version only a few months ago, and don't consider myself skilled enough bid on jobs, but I do know things I have done are better than what some people there have listed in their portfolio.

I guess what I am getting at with my longwinded approach is I'm trying to get the feel of what the Flash community thinks about more stringent copy protection. One of the ideas I had are when people would register Flash 6 they would be given a Macromedia ID. This ID could then be used by companies looking for freelance flashers. They could go to Macromedia's site enter the code and get the Name and the Company name that that ID was registered with. This would not only protect the potential company, but also the integrity of Freelance Flashers.

I'm just curious what people think about something like this or any other ideas for copy protection.

-Skraut