PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : = = 4 Questions about Vecta, Swift, and 3D Studio= =

Steve Zytariuk
07-20-2000, 12:09 PM
1. Why does swift only import shapes and not the textures along with it?

2. Does Vecta 3D import textures and shapes?

3. Is there any way possible to import Adobe Illustrator 9 files into Swift 3D? (I know Ver.7 and below does)

4. Where can i get Illustrate for 3D Studio MAX R3.1?

theMatrix
07-20-2000, 12:24 PM
1) Swift3D is a vector, not raster renderer. It does not do UVW mapping of textures. It does not consider bump, opacity, reflection, ... or any other type of map that only affects the bitmap representation of a perspective view.

Swift considers only the necessary information to render vectors and fills.

Basic colors, even those created with multi-subobject materials in MAX are imported and rendered with an appropriate fill.

2) I don't have the Vecta standalone, but #1 probably applies. Shapes? If you are referring to splines, the current rendering systems want to see polygons. To get shapes to work, I've had to path-deform basic geometry to fit a shape, then export to .3DS. Then, Swift recognizes the polygons. Vecta3D-MAX won't render shapes, even if you make them renderable in MAX.

3) Don't know ... Vince?

4) http://www.davidgould.com, although you really want to spend some time with the eval. version to see if it does what you want. The 5.0 beta seems to be pretty much a 'catch-up' to Vecta3D-MAX.

Don't know if it works with 3.1. You should find out from the site.

hth

Vince
07-20-2000, 01:17 PM
I don't own 9 yet, but I would assume it can save "down versions" like 8 can. I've noticed the least problem causing format is Illustrator 5.5/5.0 .eps files.

Steve Zytariuk
07-26-2000, 11:56 PM
You can save 8 but 8 messes it up a bit :(

http://www.dimensionstudios.net

gooch
07-27-2000, 11:27 AM
does it make sense that eventually maybe vecta or swift might beable to render procedural textures? maybe i don't fully understand procedurals but it would seem to me that since there is no bitmap involve, its all math, thatpossibly maybe someday we could get some textures.

please point out any flaws in my logic

jk

theMatrix
07-27-2000, 12:31 PM
Gooch:

Your suggestion is very interesting. If procedurals were kept relatively simple, file sizes might also remain reasonable.

There are still the issues of perspective correction and tiling, but that just makes the code more difficult - not impossible. At this point, it become a matter of prioritizing development.

I suggest you send the request directly to E-Rain. I have already had conversations with them along similar lines. The more requests they get, the better.

Keep up the great ideas!

DK
07-29-2000, 12:30 AM
We are currently working on importing ai 9. In the meantime, save as 8 or earlier. I will make a post when this new build is out :)

fLaSh PuNk
08-01-2000, 12:01 AM
I just got Vecta3d-MAX and I already had Illustrate! I didn't like the Illustrate! demo at all. I prefer Vecta3d even though I haven't used it that much. Go with vecta3d