PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : island

kp46
07-20-2000, 12:44 PM
hey guys im trying to design my home island in 3d
i got swift but i need a little guidance here.please its going to be a simply 3d island i only want to design the island with few mountains and grooves and allow the users to veiw the island in a way they could see both side of it but not looking down at the island completely
if i wanted them to look at it from a vertical point of view i would do a flat vector map lol
a good example of the way i want it to be is ff8.
when running around the various landscapes the player is not down at squall but at an angle allowing you to see his his back as well and the variations in texture and contours of the various islands .
i want to do a small island with some various changes in land and land height so pleasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
give me a responce as soon as possible so that i can start
also any tutorials on swift3d and 3d studio max would be greatly appreciated
i want to learn how to draw other objects and use them in swift to give 3d effect.

theMatrix
07-20-2000, 01:19 PM
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Do you want to know how to create the island geometry in MAX? You also talk about characters.

The island geometry could probably be done by starting with a quad patch with lots of segments. In a paint program, draw a B/W image representing level curves of your surface. Pure white is the highest and pure black is the lowest. Use the Displace modifier in MAX to displace the geometry according to your bitmap. It helps to match the aspect ratio of your bitmap to that of the geometry you create.

You will probably have to experiment with the bitmap to get the look you want. When you are finished, use the MAX optimize modifier to reduce polygon count while keeping the surface 'acceptable.'

Setup a camera to the exact view you desire. Export the scene to .3DS. Import the .3DS into Swift.

Start with a very low poly version of your model and work your way up

good luck!

daxs
07-20-2000, 03:13 PM
Terrain or Mountain plug-in for 3dstudiomax are exactly that you need. Build terrain very very easy.

theMatrix
07-20-2000, 05:08 PM
Yes, I was going to mention plug-ins and then forgot (I need more coffee).

Could you post the URL's for these so that kp46 can get more info?

Thanks for your help!

kp46
07-20-2000, 10:40 PM
hey guys i have another problem
my studio max just got shoot to **** can you lead me to a new copy.
hey and thanks for the help

Steve Zytariuk
07-21-2000, 08:54 AM
LOL, he is a warez junkie :D