A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "Mailto:" Function in a Projector.

Okay, so I'm designing a Projector application from an SWF for a CD. However the "mailto:" function you would normally use to create an automatic mail message dosn't seem to work! But the "geturl" funtion still opens a webpage. Why on earth isn't the "mailto:" function working from the Projector app??

Please help - the CD deadline is coming up soon and I need a solution fast!

e-mail: omer@mahmood23.freeserve.co.uk.

Cheers, Omer.

Ambassador of Style

Use getURL

on (release) {
    getURL ("mailto:takagi@nakatomi.com");
    }

Try this.

-A02

Re: Use getURL

Originally posted by AGENT 02
    on (release) {
    getURL ("mailto:takagi@nakatomi.com");
    }

Try this.

-A02
    Tried it, dosn't seem to work. Perhaps the fact you can't use the "mailto:" function in a Projector is a limitation??

Cheers, anyway....

any other suggestions/work-arounds are welcome.

The method that Agent 02 works it's just that you previewed in Flash Mode and not in Projector Preview Mode.

1. Create an Instance by drawing it and then selecting it and converting it to a symbol or button.

2. Then Modify the Instance and add the Get URL action to it. In the Get URL Box type mailto:EmailAddress@domain.com

3. Change the publish settings so that Flash will create an EXE (Once you have selected this setting in Publish Settings you can then select Projector from the Publish Preview- You may wish to preview from now so hit File> Publish Preview> and make sure you select projector).

4. Publish the projector.

5. Open the projector.

** Note Projector Preview Mode will not be Available to you until you Change the Publish Settings.

I want to point out here that if the computer where this is played on has no E-Mail Client or has no Set Defualt Client then Nothing will happen when the button is pressed except for perhaps a Windows error pop-up explaing the lack of a properly set up E-Mail Client.

Originally posted by johnie
    The method that Agent 02 works it's just that you previewed in Flash Mode and not in Projector Preview Mode.

1. Create an Instance by drawing it and then selecting it and converting it to a symbol or button.

2. Then Modify the Instance and add the Get URL action to it. In the Get URL Box type mailto:EmailAddress@domain.com

3. Change the publish settings so that Flash will create an EXE (Once you have selected this setting in Publish Settings you can then select Projector from the Publish Preview- You may wish to preview from now so hit File> Publish Preview> and make sure you select projector).

4. Publish the projector.

5. Open the projector.

** Note Projector Preview Mode will not be Available to you until you Change the Publish Settings.

I want to point out here that if the computer where this is played on has no E-Mail Client or has no Set Defualt Client then Nothing will happen when the button is pressed except for perhaps a Windows error pop-up explaing the lack of a properly set up E-Mail Client.

I know how to create and preview projectors I also know how to use the "mailto:" function...the fact remains that the "mailto:" function only seems to work if your viewing a flash movie published with a HTML page. But thanks anyway.

Any other suggestions??

The above command line works fine for me when running a projector *.exe but not in *.swf. If you can't get it to work you could try using a third party tool such as Jugglor's jemail.

[i]

I know how to create and preview projectors I also know how to use the "mailto:" function...the fact remains that the "mailto:" function only seems to work if your viewing a flash movie published with a HTML page. But thanks anyway.

Any other suggestions?? [/B]
    I have a projuector file sitting here that luanches the mailto: function

Either I have a majical projector or you are misinformed and the and flash projectors do allow this function (At least ones made with Flash 4 and higher).

Originally posted by johnie
    [i]

Any other suggestions??
    I have a projuector file sitting here that luanches the mailto: function

Either I have a majical projector or you are misinformed and the and flash projectors do allow this function (At least ones made with Flash 4 and higher).

[/B]
    Problem Solved!! It would appear there's something wrong with my PC because I tried the mailto: feature in a projector on 2 other PC's and yes it works!

I think there's a conflict between mail clients on my system.

Thank's to everyone for the input!!

Omer.

Lightbulb had same problem

We had this problem when working on a CD. The mailto: function works great if in a browser window, but not with a standalone. It seems that there is something on the computer that can prevent a mailto: funtion being used from a standalone .exe file (like I know a thing about computers,.. this is just what the tekkies told me!!)...

Because we cannot limit the responses to our CD, we have displayed the email address as well. You never know who has this set up on their machine or not. Being in a software company, we cannot risk loosing customers because the email does not work.

So keep the email address visible as well.. just in case...

TianaKaeSha, excellent point. Even on my HTML pages, where hyperlinks rarely ever go bad, I always use display the actual URL. Does it look as "clean"? Not always, but from a usability standpoint it does two important things... it tells visitors that this definitely is a link, and even if they don't click it, they have seen it. Actually seeing the link helps "brand" it in visitor's minds.

Regards,
    Jabez