A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How does everyone animate???

I know that I would really like to know how everyone is going about animating in flash and other programs!!

I am currently using a Wacom Graphite tablet to do some minor animations such as my monkey, as well as scanning pictures and editing them in photoshop, freehand, and flash.

What fps does everyone prefer, I havent found a specific amount yet but I am still learning

As I've mentioned before, I animate outside of the computer, then scan & do cleanup & vectorizing in Illustrator.

The FPS question is an interesting one, as the 30 fps paradigm seems to shift when working on the web (no matter how poor-quality your television is, the framerate of an animation is not going to change. This is not the case on the web). I've gone as low as 10fps, which can draw out a short animation and work if you have strong keys. Otherwise, I usually try to hit somewhere between 15-24 fps, or 30 is a good default for complex animation.
    I don't think there is a specific amount, so much, you just need to experiment with different settings. Others' thoughts/experiences on framerates?

Moderator - Anime Curator Naldoman's Avatar
    I'm still kinda up in the air about fps. I was using the default (12) until I started reading a lot of notes on these boards. The last few animations I've done have been at 20fps, like my footer. It seems to look better to me, but I'm constantly worried about file size. I guess I should quit fussing and keep the quality.

hi !
    i simply draw the caracters on paper, then, i make the motion on paper (with a skeleton) to help me. I redraw the same motion with the carcater. When i thinks it's good, i scan the sketches and redraw it in flash !!
    i always use 20 fps.

Probationary Member
    always in flash...i draw cartoons with no real passion, it's when i WANT to do it.i do it with hi-quality but i always draw with mouse, it helps me exercise my hand. i am an advanced hand drawer. i draw 3d designs of cars on paper and anime...i have a SCANNER but i don't scan, makes bad quality and i'm not great colorer.

im with you presley. than you very much. uh hu uh hu