A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Duplicating movie clips

AHhh! Ok guys heres the problem! I have two movie clips in my flash movie... I need three so I opened up the library right clicked on one of the movies and hit the "duplicate"

So I named the new movie "movie 3" So now I have "Movie 1" "Movie 2" and "Movie 3"..... Three being a duplicate of two... So I go to change movie three to what I want it to do... and it changes movie 2! aswell as movie 3! What good is dupliacting if its the same exact movie file! I might as well just open the library and copy over another copy of movie 2 if I wanted that! Someone help me please!

Hi Trevor...

Two things I can think of:

1) You inadvertently copied your movie instead of duplicating it.
    2) If the movie contains graphic symbols or other original images then if you alter these then you'll also have to duplicate them as well.

Good luck.

i've had that happen too. what happens ( i think .... ) is that you create a duplicate, but it opens the original for editing. you think you are editing the new one... but you juust bugger up the original.

make sure after you dupe that the open symbol is the new one. just to be safe