A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Looking for a good chat script

Wichser
    hi

I want to implement a chat room in one of my homepages.
    Does anybody know of a good banner ad free chat script?

Or what language should I shoot for? cgi? javascript? Asp?

I have checked http://www.scripts.com but I haven't found a really good one that was fast and ad free,

maybe you have experienced a good scrpit that you can recommend?

Thanks

iCEBERG

you can design your own in ASP, I've tried one and it works.
    My brother is going to be builting a java chat with his friends at college. That will be their assignment in his computer science class. When he's done, hopefully with accurate source, I'll try it out.

...have you ever tried a chat sample from F4 in ASP? Unbelievably, it works, I've tried it, but use that one only for learning the source.
    regards, Nick

Wichser
    well I was going to implement it into an HTML site,

but I don't know ASP yet so I haven#t tried to build a chat room myself.

Did you code it yourself?

I just haven#t foudn agood script that I could run on my site.
    CGI seems to be realy slow.

any ideas?

thanks
    iCEBERG

me neither, I don't know ASP and can't find a good script for java chat... If you don't find any source soon, I'll send you the source of java chat that will be created by my brother and his friends at university. I hope they finish soon, perhaps one month since it is not quite easy creating it from the beginning.

BTW, have you tried to search http://internet.com about chat souces? you might find some results from certain message boards where someone asked similar question.

Wichser
    yo nik,
    that would defenitely be cool.
    i was looking for a cool chat script (source code) on various sites, but I haven't found a really good one so far.
    CGi is really slow - not real time really,
    or I have come across a lot of chats with banner ads run on a differnt server than the one where your site is at.

any help is appreciated!

thanks

iCEBERG

iCEBERG,

At http://www.kessels.com you can find a very simple Perl script that interfaces nicely with Flash.

Here is a quote from the site...
    FlashDB is a small database for Flash 4/5 written in Perl. It is very easy to use, and is very basic. There are just two actions: read and write. With "write" you can write a set of Flash variables to the webserver. With "read" you can read them all back into Flash. Simple yet powerful and flexible, that's how I like things.
    You can use this script for anything that requires reading and writing to a server... a visitor counter, for example... a chatroom as a more elaborate example.

There is a sample chatroom app on the site that you can download and modify. And best of all.... it's FREE!

Hope this helps....

Jabez

updated one that was posted by joost, php/flash drive

Go to http://www.dynamic-dev.com/Chat to see a demo of this, it's pretty easy to customize

Hope this helps

George
    [Edited by dynamic-dev on 03-01-2001 at 08:53 PM]

Wichser
    yo dynamic-dev!

Thanks that chat looked really good, the only thing I would love to see on it is a user list, a list of those who are in the room. Where could I get that chat room and how do you set it up?

would be cool if you'd let me know, it looked good.

iCEBERG

hmmmm

I don't know where you can find one packaged together nicely, but I'll take a look at adding a user-list, I should've done it a long time ago, it should only take a little time. What type of timeframe are you looking at? I'll send it to you after I add that if you want. This uses php, a text file and flash, it should be only a matter of changing a few urls in the .swf and making sure your host doesn't mind chat scripts.

Have you checked hotscripts.com out of curiosity?

Let me know
    George

try implimenting chat made in Director

Hi,

I am also facinated by chat rooms. So i tried to find it out in http://www.flashkit.com and i ended up with downloading a chat programe made in Director. I am not able to recognise to path of that prog. but i think you can get it if you search for it on this site. if i get it i will tell you. Hope this will solve your problem.

Wichser
    yo thanks all so far,
    i didn't find a good one on hotscripts.

I was looking at a chat script with a user list for that room, a single room only, and maybe a log in but that'S not necessary.
    I'll implement it in a html page, I wouldn't go with a director chat as that is shockwave.
    either flash or html would be my pick.

if you find one let me know, I'll let you know if I find a good one, I am still looking.

iCEBERG