A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Button help needed

Here is the scenerio:

I've craeted text as the button-
    What I need to do is when the mouse rolls over the text button I want 2 things to happen

1) a ball moves from the top of a line to the botton of the line and if the person removes the mouse from the roll over stage I want it to finish its slide, then stop

2) a graphic that I placed near the button, I want it to rotate. Its a 3d graphic, and if the person removes the mouse from the roll over stage I want it to finish its rotation, then stop

I tried creating this by importing movie clips into the rollover mode in button edt, but if the mouse leaves the roll over stage, the clip stops.

Can someone please walk me through this, I know its been done, I saw it on the Lasikplus.com website on the first page. Do you need some type of loadmovie action script, if so how do I do it?

Remember I may be a YOUNGGIANT(as my name applies---when I say young I mean young) but I'm no giant in flash!

Thanks,

Zach

Hi Zach,

Use TellTargets

Ok...this is what you do:
    Place both MCs on the main timeline and give them an instance name, such as "ball" and "3d".
    In the"ball" MCs add a STOP action in the first and last keyframes.
    Similarly add a STOP action in the first frame of the "3d" and a GoTo and Stop frame 1, in the last keyframe.

Now for the button add this script:
    On RollOver
    TellTarget
    /ball
    Play
    End
    TellTarget
    /3d
    Play
    End

Add a OnPress statement, if you want something else to happen if the button is pressed.

Hope that helps

Cheers

RanTen

To help you with targets, use flash 5's auto target thing - than little target icon on the bottom right corner of the actionscript panel - it should work when you click in the field where you want to specify the target in.