A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is there an action equivalent to mouseOver in a mc?

I enjoy the mouseMove, mouseDown, etc, properties that you can call in a movie clip, thanks to Flash 5. But I notice a lack of the mouseOver function for mc's. Is there any simple way to simulate mouseOver?
    Note: I am using mc's, not buttons.

Thanks!

Hmm..

I really don't know what you would like to wo with the clip, but you can perform a really dirty trick and fake such a thing.

You could create an invisible button shaped as the movie clip, which on mouseOver tells the movie clip to perform some kind of action. Might work for what you need to do, or maybe not :P

It's late at night, oh yeah I can notice...

Please allow me to clarify: I wish to do this without a button at all. I am just confused that Flash5 includes all the other button functions applicable to movie clips, but not mouseOver. Am I missing something?

HVAC guru
    Buttons still play an important role. You may never need to use the up, over, down, but you certainly need the "hit" option. which may only have a simple script like:

on (release) {
    with (blah blah) {
    }
    }

The MC is powerful, but it is no panacea.

Happy Flashing!

its easy to simulate a mouseOver with an MC. use the xmouse and y mouse properties in a hit test function to see if the mouse is over your mc. im drunk so leave me alone.