A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Video in web sites

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    I just read an interesting discussion about video in web sites...

We all chat about how broadband will affect the way we design, and we know that streamed video will add a wonderful new dimension to the way we design. However, a few ideas...

- Will Video become the new hype, together with 3D, and used for the sake of it?

- Furthermore... are we ready for implementing video into our sites? I mean... broadband will be here in brief, but should we start experimenting today so that we don't need to "catch up" when the whole thing starts? It's not only about adding a few extra mbs... we need quality mbs!

regards,
    david

I'm a hero like Robert De Niro
    Most of the New Media designers (Internet motion designers) are only now starting to understand how to design using 2d vector graphic and some 3d vector graphics.With the possibility to incorporate video and high quality/long sound tracks I think the profession of web/motion design will turn to just that... a profession, and not just some hobby people pick up in a week and call themselves "web designers". I hope this day will come soon so we'll finally see some quality over the web.

The number of practitioners will decrease just as there a number of television production companies and you don't see every person with a video camera producing TV shows.

McMurphy

I had posted this in other rooms but there is an important flash tool named vid2flash which allows users to import video into flash.

It basically converts .avi, .mov, and .mpeg into .swf format.

It is similar to "Flix" but cheaper.
    You can get a free trial here
    http://www.javakitty.com/vid2flash/vid2flash_zip.exe

or buy the full beta for $25.00 from the website.
    http://www.javakitty.com/vid2flash/index.htm

I think that designers who start getting into designing flash around video will really start heading in the direction of creating interactive and dynamic web-based TV.

Combining flash and vid2flash is a lot like combining Adobe Premiere and After Effects with Dreamweaver. Plus with flash on over 96% of all PC's you don't have to worry about which platform or software is needed to show your video.

Video for flash is still in its early stage but I guarantee that once it gets put to good use on a few sites it will be everywhere and the web will look a lot more like TV than a Magazine.

Vid2flash

I've got a question concerning Vid2flash... I downloaded the trial version and noticed what a great job it does converting .avi to .swf video files. But can you then import the movie into a .fla? I tried doing this and it kept crashing the Flash program on me. Thanks.

Re: Vid2flash

The trial version prevents the user from importing the converted .swf into flash.

The full version imports the converted .swf file into the .fla with no problem.

That is where the real flash magic can happen because now the imported movie is just another symbol.

anyone looked at this hypnotizer software?
    it allows interactive elements to be placed on top of streaming video
    http://hypnotizer.net

just wanted to here from anyone who's looked into its potential/or is using it..i'm interested but it aint cheap

jolly

hmm, looks cool, will have to look into it.

FYI http://www.hypnotizer.net/

Rogue

3D Imagery is the way its all gonna go - and soon I reckon rather than having our way with Flash and the 2Dimensional imagery we use atm, soon were gonna have majorly huge 3dimensional navigation systems - good idea? I think not!

Things are just gonna spiral out of control and the next thing is thatpeople like me who are still using little weeny pipes (14.4) are gonna begin to not enjoy there Netside experiences.

If site go for the dual approach and provide for the smaller bandwidth aspects aswell - then it'll be ok - but I think 3D and even AVI video etc, will be over used in a BIG way and it'll become old hat and old - and become the same as what animated Gifs are to mostr pro designers!