A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Usability becoming a mythred Icon?

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar

Wink

Usability, User-centricity, seem to be today's hype together with other fancy features like 3D or Video or the lot...

Gurus like Jakob Nielsen consider a site to be good when its accessibility is great.

However, some of the best sites I've ever seen are deliberately intricate, releasing their hidden juices only after the surfer has spent a few hours playing with it...

Maybe we are going a bit too far about usability forgeting that lots of surfers have got a brain and will eventually discover how to navigate our site even if navigation is tricky?

I'm a hero like Robert De Niro
    Hey phooka,

When a person enters a big commercial site he does'nt wanna spend hours trying to figure out where the buttons are neither does he wanna wait for hours for the page to load.
    I'm not a Usability freak but an Internet product should be
    accessible as well as well designed and all the rest.
    A lot of designers think that Usability eq boring but that's not true.In my opinion anyway.
    The real trick and beauty is to make a creative site, that is designed and functional.I know I'm not saying anything new here but it was u who started this thread

McMurphy

I aggree fully, and when I am making a site my first concern is usability! However I was playind a bit the Devil's advocate... furthermore, if the site is more a portfolio than a commercial site, a weirder navigation and more complicated usability can actually improve the site, don't you think?

I'm a hero like Robert De Niro
    My favorite sites are the experimental and artistic sites such as http://www.evilpupil.com with the weird navigation and ultra individual concept.But that's art.Web art,and we all know the very long discussion about the difference between art and design.And because we know it I'll stop here and won't start a new one

McMurphy

I am just re-building my web site with a joke about usability... I was tired of my experiments in 3D so I've just started creating stg for the laugh...

It's a doubled version portfolio, one VERY usable and the other one very abstract... have a look at the usable one, just started as I said!

regards,
    david

http://www.phooka.net

Phooka!!

I went over to your site earlier today, so what's happening there..?! Is that Jackob Neilson??

Bizzare stuff dude..!!

I couldn't get anywhere though..? Is it juts the two pages..?!

Cheers

John

Yeah I wish I could give more time to my site... I am making a usability/non usability double portfolio, but I've got lots to do with the rest of my designs... oh dear, I used to complain because I didn't have enough work and now I complain because I don't have time! That's humans for you: never satisfied!

Hmmm

Well usability is a major deal these days - but i dont think its as big a deal as peeps make out - maybe 5 years ago then yeah because people wrnt as IT literate as they are now - and I think 78% of the developed world now have access to an INternet connection in one way or an other.

Our job is just to make a fine medium between those who have never used a PC and those who are old-hands withut getting
    a) too technical or
    b) too patronizing!

Regards
    John Sampson
    NT Guru