A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: loading a movie in a movie to a specific keyframe?

Ok, English it is...

Hi Ricardo,

Sorry we continued in Dutch, but since nobody else but Dutchmen replied to the forum we didn't think to trouble anyone with it.

So as of now, I shall only post English messages.

Regards,

Robin

Smile

Well I wish I knew dutch because you it seemed as if you guys were laying down some really heavy actionscript there. I am trying to perfect the same topic the original person who posted this threa is trying to figure out. I just learnt how to load an external swf into a floating pop up window but the content of the pop window from the external swf is displaying the animation twice. It is a very simple experimental animation with some text before I place the real animation in there. If you have any tips I would appreciate it. By the way have you read foundation actionscript, because I could really use some help. Please also make your replies to ricardo313@hotmail.com because I will be leaving work in fifteen minutes

State us your problem

Just state us the problem, Ricardo, and we can always take a look at it.

We were discussing an actionscript that would load in a new movie and start it at a sertain frame. We are not yet completely at the point of solving the problem, but getting there.

Loading in a new movie should work fine with:

on (press) {
    loadMovieNum("movie2.swf", 0);
    }

This loads the new movie in and overlaps the old movie. But I think you are taking it a bit further. Let me know if you have an example of the problem you are dealing with, I shall take a look at "foundation actionscript" now.

Hi

Quite hard to understand what solution you've come up with so far, my dutch isn't that good. But since I'm working on solutions to a similar problem myself, here's my current thoughts:

If the new movie is going to replace the movie that opened it, I think the best solution is to have a place to store a variable that tells the new movie which frame to skip to.
    As far as I can tell you can't set variables in the new movie in the same buttonscript that loaded the movie (please tell me I'm wrong about this, it would solve quite a few problems for me!), probably because the script is executed before the new movie loads.

My current solution is therefore to have a movie in level0 that holds variables, while the loaded movies are in level1. In level0 I then store a variable 'targetFrame' that I can access from the first frame in the loaded movie with 'gotoAndStop(_level0.targetFrame);'.

If you feel like translating your ideas I'd be happy to find out what solutions you've come up with.

HC

Smile

Well I figured out the problem that I was having. In terms of loading an external swf into a MC. This is useful for pop up windows with dynamic or static content. The windows are always on the screen just invisible because the first keyframe is empty, the content is only loaded when you press on a button. But now the problem that I am having is that the content from the exteranal swf is coming in doubled, meaning it is being displayed in two different positions on the screen, if you give me your email adress I can email you the swf. And by the way those great guys at friends of Ed helped me in solving my obstacles with chapter 11.

We need to get some dialogue going on the book foundation actionscript and if you know of any other great books that can help a novice like myself master actionscript please let me know.
    email address ricardo313@hotmail.com

Well, sounds a good idea to me,
    I would like to take a look at it..
    ZondrZout already solved the problem with
    the keyframe action.
    Maybe you can send your *.swf to
    wilco@sonik.nl?
    Thanx already

Sending Variables

Hi,

You can send Variables to a second movieClip, for example to skip to a certain frame. To do this you should use an actionscript similar to this:

on (release) {
    frameNr = "20";
    loadMovieNum ("nextMovie.swf", 0, "GET");
    }

Whereas the "GET" sends the Variable using the GET method. Now make a new action in the first frame of the nextMovie.swf:

gotoAndPlay (_level0.frameNR);

This will read out the variable "frameNR" that was sent by the first movie.

I hope this will help you out, but I must say it works perfectly for me!
    [Edited by ZonderZout on 03-16-2001 at 10:39 AM]

The friends of ed message board figured out how to do this in java. Maybe they know how to do it in actionscript. so you may want to check them out http://www.friendsofed.com.

Thanks a lot!

I hadn't thought of using Get.
    That probably will save me from making things unnecessary difficult for myself.

HC

resolved

Well, I wanted to take a look at the site
    but it's still under construction,

can I already see a test version ???

try taking the "." away...the last character in the link

Re...

I hate to see that this thread is dying out just when it seemed to become succesfull and frequently visited!

Therefore I posted one more message.

So here it is, my last message in an attempt to keep the thread alive. If it does not succeed, I shall accept the thread as "died out".

resolved saw the URL

Well, I saw the flashsite,
    but I didn't liked it,
    I've seen better flashsites..
    sorry, I'm sure that they're
    good programmers, but a good
    programmer is not a good webdesigner,
    You can't compare those two..
    Only if the person is VERY good you know,
    like me
    (little flash studio joke)

thank you

Okay, so now that we broke the
    thread record, a friend of mine
    solved the keyframe problem..
    thank you all for helping me

whats the solution he came up with anyway?

the answer is already there

Well, read the messages,
    you'll find the answer

Solutions can be found if one looks for them

The answer is indeed already dealed with in this thread a few messages earlier.

Now quit being disrespectfull to me just because I virtually kicked you in the nuts once, just to be funny.

Until we meet again!

some people will never learn.....
    *kicks zonderzout in the balls and falls to the ground screaming like a little girl*

resolved

why are you guys always fighting?
    this is a place for flashnurds!!
    not for agressive people
    lol

Re: on a dumb person

I fail to see the storyflow of your line.

You kick me in the balls, then fall down screaming like a little baby yourself... That would be a slapstick-kinda event.

So I guess I'll just smack you on the head with a 10lbs. bag of potatoes and fall down uncontious myself.

Haha, you're so silly!