A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: loading a movie in a movie to a specific keyframe?

Evening?

Late in what evening? It's 10:05 AM here, just another work day!

Matla is taking a look at the fla files as we speak! And I just posted this message to make the thread return to the first page!

resolved

I looked at it, and when I edit the
    movieclip I see the "about" menu,
    with the loading screen, but what is it that
    you want to be loaded?
    "motion.swf"? and if I'm right, where
    do you want the new movie to be loaded??

Motion.swf is to be loaded into the pop up window labeled about. I am using an empty movie clip placed into mc.clientwindow. You will also see ma.winbehavior which controls mc.clientwindow.
    The fla is working fine now. If you remove that extra instance of final tween from the stage in motion.fla you will see what I was attempting. Now if you want to you could create your own content in motion.fla. and when you run movie1.fla your content will be displayed in the about window.

Why don't you make a movieclip of
    the movie you want to load into the popupwindow,
    and let that one be loaded?

That sounds like a grea idea. But the Sham Bangal from Friendsofed says that setting up the content this way prepares you for advanced data driven flash sites.

Consider the following. You have a site with lots of itmaps n it, so you place a lowresolution bitmap in each of many movie clips. As soon as the user tells flash that they want a closer look at any bitmap, you just load a higher resolution bitmap. What if I had a menu that was 10 buttons all with content that was 100kb each, that would seriously slow down download time. But if they are loaded from seperate swfs then my download would be optimized and I could have the content unload when a different is pressed. Chapter 11 foundation actionscript. It is a pretty good book

I think you're right,
    but maybe you can do it this way..

Make just one flashmovie,
    and if you click a small bitmap,
    load a HTML popup-window with a little
    javascript and the bitmap with a high resolution.

popupscript for HTML:
    (this script should be placed in to HTML code where the flashmovie is placed)

<a href="javascript:namebitmap()">

<script language="JavaScript"><!--
    function namebitmap()
    {
    window.open('namebitmap.htm','_blank','toolbar=no, directories=no,status=yes,menubar=no,scrollbars=no ,resizable=no,width=640,height=480,screenX=0,scree nY=0');
    return;
    }
    // -->
    </script>

And this is what you place on the imagebutton in the fla:

on (release) {
    getURL ("javascript:namebitmap()", "", "GET");
    }

But if you really want to load the high-resolution
    bitmap in your flashmovie, this ain't gonna work...

Originally posted by PsychoFlasher

loadMovieNum("your.swf", "targetMC");
    targetMC.gotoAndPlay(20);

that all if Im correct
    Do you know of any circumstances that would cause this not to work?
    When I try it looks like the loadMovieNum command is executed during the next frame, causing gotoAndPlay to be executed before the movie is loaded.

Originally posted by headgonenumb
    Hi

Quite hard to understand what solution you've come up with so far, my dutch isn't that good. But since I'm working on solutions to a similar problem myself, here's my current thoughts:

If the new movie is going to replace the movie that opened it, I think the best solution is to have a place to store a variable that tells the new movie which frame to skip to.
    As far as I can tell you can't set variables in the new movie in the same buttonscript that loaded the movie (please tell me I'm wrong about this, it would solve quite a few problems for me!), probably because the script is executed before the new movie loads.

My current solution is therefore to have a movie in level0 that holds variables, while the loaded movies are in level1. In level0 I then store a variable 'targetFrame' that I can access from the first frame in the loaded movie with 'gotoAndStop(_level0.targetFrame);'.

If you feel like translating your ideas I'd be happy to find out what solutions you've come up with.

HC

'lo perhaps i m a newbie but why not putting empty frames 20 for example in the swf u called ??

not a bad idea....just load it into level0 and then the loaded MC will be syncronized with your main timeline, then no matter what you do you animation will be in frame 20.
    this all depends on the specific situation though

but wait...that is not what they wanted
    they just wanted the 'loaded'movie clip to go to frame 20

MC.gotoAndPlay(20)

is all they really need

Well, the problem is already solved..
    When I have movie one,
    and I want it to load movie 2 (when I press a button)
    to a specific keyframe that contains
    some text that must be loaded,
    I don't have to go to that specific keyframe,
    but I just load a new movie with
    an external text file, like this:

on (release) {
    loadMovieNum ("movie2.swf", 0, "GET");
    loadVariablesNum ("text.txt", 0);
    }

so that works great!!

I think the website will be finished
    next week,
    so if you want to see it, I will give
    you the URL next week
    It's a nice flashsite

Originally posted by headgonenumb
    Originally posted by PsychoFlasher

loadMovieNum("your.swf", "targetMC");
    targetMC.gotoAndPlay(20);

that all if Im correct
    Do you know of any circumstances that would cause this not to work?
    When I try it looks like the loadMovieNum command is executed during the next frame, causing gotoAndPlay to be executed before the movie is loaded.
    yes that is true
    you must make something to check if the .swf has loaded and then do the goto command
    I was just simplifying

resolved

Hey Ricardo, did you already found the answer
    about the loadmovie action?

This thread is so long I am totally lost now man. You will need to refresh my memory on that one. So much has happened since this thread began. I just bought flash actionscript f/x and design and I am about to dive into man. I do know about loading a movie though. Are you talking about loading a movie on top of another movie.

Yeah!!

Smile

Well yesterday I re-read chapter five of foundation actionscript, because I am about to add some more pages to portfolio site using the loadmovie leveln action. I downloaded an fla with a scrolling text field, so I will be modifying that also for my site. It does not use an external text file. The text is placed within the actionscript window and displayed in a text box. Could someone explain to me why you would want to use an external text file to create a scrolling text display, like what are the advantages as opposed to doing the whole thing in flash within a seperate swf that loads using the load movie action.

Originally posted by Ricardo Waldron
    Well yesterday I re-read chapter five of foundation actionscript, because I am about to add some more pages to portfolio site using the loadmovie leveln action. I downloaded an fla with a scrolling text field, so I will be modifying that also for my site. It does not use an external text file. The text is placed within the actionscript window and displayed in a text box. Could someone explain to me why you would want to use an external text file to create a scrolling text display, like what are the advantages as opposed to doing the whole thing in flash within a seperate swf that loads using the load movie action.
    using extarnal text files is better becuase you can always easily change the text in your site without having to upload everything again.
    thats the only (good) reason I can think of.

Wink Please help me

Scrolling text not showing in pop up window. I am once againg doing a trial run for my simple portfolio site. I have a pop up window. Just like previous one with a scrolling text field. But when the window loads after a button press the text is not showing only the buttons to scroll the text. I am not using an external text file. If you need to see the flas please let me know.

Re: Please help me

Originally posted by Ricardo Waldron
    Scrolling text not showing in pop up window. I am once againg doing a trial run for my simple portfolio site. I have a pop up window. Just like previous one with a scrolling text field. But when the window loads after a button press the text is not showing only the buttons to scroll the text. I am not using an external text file. If you need to see the flas please let me know.
    Can you send an example of the scrollbar
    to wilco@sonik.nl?
    Cuz there are many ways to make a scrollbar...
    I will take a look at it.