A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Opening pdf in projector.

Thumbs up

i am trying to open a PDF of a catalog inside my projector file but it keeps opening in the web browser rather than in acrobat, please help. I have acrobat aplication on the cd also. Just not sure what i need to do in terms of scripting.

Well before someone starts to sell you anything

You have to use the following to open a file by association
    A. .bat or command.com command..
    B. A third party app

Here's my tutorial for use with my freeware app http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Dy...09/index.shtml

You can find command.com info and .bat info here with the search feature on the board.. or under Tutorials, Projectors

Ambassador of Style

Wait...

Are you trying to open the PDF actually in the Flash movie?

Or do you mean that you are trying to simply launch the Acrobat reader independent of a browser?

If it's the second issue - look at using the FSCommand instead of GetURL.

on (release) {
    fscommand ("exec", "catalogue.pdf");
    }

BUT... keep these things in mind:

1. It will open the PDF in the application that the machine has set to open PDF's.

2. If you are running this off of CD - you could ruin into problems of local vs. temp files.... check some of the past message strings to learn more.

-A02

Smile

first off, thanks for the input guys. What i am trying to do is open a pdf in an acrobat reader which is inderpendent from the flash movie but not installed on the machine. I was to have an acrobat reader on the cd which will open the pdf document. I have an example cd to do this from but all it is useful for, is telling me exactly what my client wants i couldnt get into the swf and look at code. I tried but it didnt make much sense to me. Someone suggested that i could do this with jugglor, so i might try that. hehe dont worry master im not buying it. Im gonna look at your tutorial too. Isnt is screwwy how as a webdeveloper it always seems like every client needs things done at the same times. I always have these nice slow weeks then i get bombarded with jobs all on the same day!